Will the Stadium Stay in Orchard Park? Hear me out

Hammered a Lot

17 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I believe Hammer was talking about digging down in OP at New Era, to expand the lower concourse.

That is not happening. It's already been addressed somewhere. Pretty much impossible to do. Cheaper to just build a new stadium.

Just now, TheFunPolice said:

I love anything without a dome

That would be a waste of money.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

That is not happening. It's already been addressed somewhere. Pretty much impossible to do. Cheaper to just build a new stadium.

You may very well be right. I'm just pointing out what I got from Hammer's post. And just because a plan has been dismissed as impossible/improbable in the past, doesn't mean conditions/technology can't change enough to make revisiting the idea a possibility. 

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Come talk to me in December when the stadium is 1/2 - 2/3 full(actual not paid attendance)  because the weather is terrible.  

If the Bills are vying for a playoff berth, I'll bet the stadium is mostly full.

BTW, were you at the 51-3 blowout of the Raiders in horrendous weather? I was. The stadium was PACKED!

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

If the Bills are vying for a playoff berth, I'll bet the stadium is mostly full.

All depends on the weather.  Sitting in 40° and rain for 3-4 hours is not happening for me anymore.  Build a domed stadium, and I’d consider going to the December games.  Just my personal preference.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

All depends on the weather.  Sitting in 40° and rain for 3-4 hours is not happening for me anymore.  Build a domed stadium, and I’d consider going to the December games.  Just my personal preference.  

When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

They will re-build the Hockey Arena along with the new downtown Football stadium all at the same time. Or at least as one big, long project.

Parking and roadways will be re-done. They arent just going to jam a big new stadium into the existing area. The whole section of the city will be re-done. New entrances to the 190, etc.

I dont see where downtown Buffalo has the potential for the new infrastructure.  The roads are narrow to the buildings now.  I guess we will see, but I am not sure why you would force the issues when you have wide roads and acres to build on in Orchard Park.

Resettling the neighbors in OP would be a lot easier than re-doing downtown for a football stadium.

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

I have said pretty much the same thing. New stadium downtown with the  Pegula’s other large investments, keeping the Bills training facilities in OP, and remove the vast majority of the old stadiums seating, keeping enough seating so they can still have fans out there for spring training, and of course keeping the playing field as part of the practice facilities. This is what I would like to see happen. I don’t know, but if the Bills own all that parking area, most of it will be sold off, being there will be no need for so much of it. 

Go Bills!!!

Oh yes....I'm sure the owner of that stadium would be overjoyed to be paying the mortgage on the Bills otherwise empty "spring training" home.

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

BTW, were you at the 51-3 blowout of the Raiders in horrendous weather? I was. The stadium was PACKED!

And I will bet you are wrong. I remember the Super Bowl years very well and even then the team had trouble selling out games, even playoff games. Ralph and Ch.2 (NBC had Sunday games then) had to buy out thousands of remaining seats to beat the blackout. (Remember blackouts?) Of course when going to Super Bowls was still a new experience, Rich Stadium was rocking (like that 51-3 game.) But lose one or two Super Bowls and people start cooling off. Houston comeback playoff game? Blacked out. Fourth AFC Championship? Ralph had to buy the game out just so it got on local TV. 

And of course you aren't going to be playoff bound every year. So what happens with attendance in that open air stadium then? 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont see where downtown Buffalo has the potential for the new infrastructure.  The roads are narrow to the buildings now.  I guess we will see, but I am not sure why you would force the issues when you have wide roads and acres to build on in Orchard Park.

Resettling the neighbors in OP would be a lot easier than re-doing downtown for a football stadium.

You'd be surprised how it can get done. There is nothing so unique about Buffalo that hasn't been addressed in every NFL city with an urban stadium site.

2 hours ago, cd1 said:

Concourses for who? New Era Field only has customer draw eight days a year during home football games.

10 actually with preseason but that may soon change.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 3

Key Bank center is still pretty damn nice for a hockey venue

And I will NEVER understand why people want us to be like everyone else... Ooh the colts have a shiny downtown stadium so we need 1

Thankfully the world doesn't work like that and the stadium is fine where it is, even if a new one goes up across the parking lot

The last thing the city needs is a downtown stadium

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And I will bet you are wrong. I remember the Super Bowl years very well and even then the team had trouble selling out games, even playoff games. Ralph and Ch.2 (NBC had Sunday games then) had to buy out thousands of remaining seats to beat the blackout. (Remember blackouts?) Of course when going to Super Bowls were still a new experience, Rich Stadium was rocking (like that 51-3 game.) But lose one or two Super Bowls and people start cooling off. Houston comeback playoff game? Blacked out. Fourth AFC Championship? Ralph had to buy the game out just so it got on local TV. 

And of course you aren't going to be playoff bound every year. So what happens with attendance in that open air stadium then? 

You'd be surprised how it can get done. There is nothing so unique about Buffalo that hasn't been addressed in every NFL city with an urban stadium site.

10 actually with preseason but that may soon change.

Again I've been saying for years there is ..

Buffalos grid pattern is NOT like other American city. It is built in a European style around  park systems and a non standard grid

Alot would need to be altered to make it's successful. It's really not as simple as it sounds

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Key Bank center is still pretty damn nice for a hockey venue

And I will NEVER understand why people want us to be like everyone else... Ooh the colts have a shiny downtown stadium so we need 1

Thankfully the world doesn't work like that and the stadium is fine where it is, even if a new one goes up across the parking lot

The last thing the city needs is a downtown stadium

Again I've been saying for years there is ..

Buffalos grid pattern is NOT like other American city. It is built in a European style around  park systems and a non standard grid

Alot would need to be altered to make it's successful

That is not true. Yes, Olmstead built his beautiful ring of parks but they are miles from Downtown. The area where a new stadium is likely to go, Perry Projects, is just your usual grid. Go to Detroit, go to Minneapolis, even Green Bay, Cleveland, Cincinnati or Chicago. It's all the same. And those cities don't collapse on football Sundays.  Don't forget there is public transit too.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That is not true. Yes, Olmstead built his beautiful ring of parks but they are miles from Downtown. The area where a new stadium is likely to go, Perry Projects, is just your usual grid. Go to Detroit, go to Minneapolis, even Green Bay, Cleveland, Cincinnati or Chicago. It's all the same. And those cities don't collapse on football Sundays.  Don't forget there is public transit too.

The park systems just show how the city is connected with a RADICAL GRID,  which you can still see, it was built to maximize walking and bike riding over cars

There are only 3 cities in America that share a grid plan with buffalo and Minneapolis and Cleveland and Detroit are not one I don't believe

And you CANNOT RELY on public transit. The Bills or sabres cannot use that mindset..  they need to have exitways and spaces for 100,000 people on Bills Sundays downtown, which isn't available yet

People come from Toronto and Rochester and Syracuse and the burbs,  there needs to be a clean exit from downtown so people aren't backed up for 3-4-5 hours which is totally possible

Edited by Buffalo716

7 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The park systems just show how the city is connected with a RADICAL GRID,  which you can still see

There are only 3 cities in America that share a grid plan with buffalo and Minneapolis and Cleveland and Detroit are not one.

And you CANNOT RELY on public transit. The Bills or sabres cannot use that mindset..  they need to have exitways and spaces for 100,000 people on Bills Sundays downtown, which isn't available yet

People come from Toronto and Rochester and Syracuse and the burbs,  there needs to be a clean exit from downtown so people aren't backed up for 3-4-5 hours which is totally possible

Without radical downtown reconstruction, and a MAJOR rapid transit infrastructure improvement process, a downtown stadium in Buffalo is a recipe for disaster, IMO. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oh yes....I'm sure the owner of that stadium would be overjoyed to be paying the mortgage on the Bills otherwise empty "spring training" home.

Weirder stuff than that has happened, deals are worked out all the time, big money always talks loudest in America, always been that way. Any ways,  old stadiums have been torn down more than once,  this would (should it happen)just be another time.  Hell, for all we know they may very well build a huge concourse around the existing stadium, with every luxury you or I could imagine, big money talks the loudest...

Go Bills!!!

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Weirder stuff than that has happened, deals are worked out all the time, big money always talks loudest in America, always been that way. Any ways,  old stadiums have been torn down more than once,  this would (should it happen)just be another time.  Hell, for all we know they may very well build a huge concourse around the existing stadium, with every luxury you or I could imagine, big money talks the loudest...

Go Bills!!!

Who's "big money"?  Erie County owns the stadium now.