Will the Stadium Stay in Orchard Park? Hear me out

Hammered a Lot

Heard this the other day and to me it makes sense. There has been talk about the need for a new larger convention center in Buffalo. How about converting the current Buffalo, or what ever it's called now, arena into a convention center. There is conversation going on how the Buffalo arena is substandard to other arenas/venues.  So building a new up to date arena in the cobblestone district makes sense. Terry Pegulas main interest is hockey.  Look at the investment in the Penn State "Pegula "hockey arena. This would help in the so called stimulus that's needed for downtown and be near his downtown investments. Concerning expanding the lower concourse at NEF I wonder if any of his company's knowledge in fracking drilling could be used to break up the rock at the lower concourse level. Terry has also recently bought a mine. It seems his companies are specialized in Geology.  Fire Away.

Edited by Hammered a Lot
  • Thank you (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Hammered a Lot said:

Heard this the other day and to me it makes sense. There has been talk about the need for a new larger convention center in Buffalo. How about converting the current Buffalo, or what ever it's called now, arena into a convention center. There is conversation going on how the Buffalo arena is substandard to other arenas/venues.  So building a new up to date arena in the cobblestone district makes sense. Terry Pegulas main interest is hockey.  Look at the investment in the Penn State "Pegula "hockey arena. This would help in the so called stimulus that's needed for downtown and be near his downtown investments. Concerning expanding the lower concourse at NEF I wonder if any of his company's knowledge in fracking drilling could be used to break up the rock at the lower concourse level. Terry has also recently bought a mine. It seems his companies are specialized in Geology.  Fire Away.

I'm no geologist but I think you have to consider the shallow water table downtown, considering you are only a few feet above Lake Erie. So there can't be much digging downward. In other words you can't build another in-ground bowl stadium, like New Era Field, downtown.

As for the arena, I went to Cleveland for the MAC basketball tournament last March and saw how they are building out Quicken Loan Arena. They are expanding the walls on all sides. Once done they will have wide concourses at all levels, and maybe even more club style amenities. That could be an option at Key Bank Center.

https://www.nba.com/cavaliers/releases/q-transformation-180918

Edited by PromoTheRobot

"Terry Pegulas main interest is hockey."

Uh oh....lol.

Anyway, other than building stadiums for pro sports teams, there are few other colossal wastes of public funds than building "another convention center".  Like stadiums, adding conventions centers never results in the promised economic goals.  The current convention center looks pretty well booked.  Adding another at massive expense would just split the bookings between the 2 buildings.

Let Pegula tip his piggy bank upside down and buy what he wants.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

So let me summarize...

- Retrofit KBC from an arena to a convention center. 

- Build new hockey/general purpose arena. 

- Abandon current underused convention center.  

-  Excavate outdated RWS to somehow fix narrow concourse problem(you would still have an old outdated stadium). 

That’s a ridiculous amount of money being spent to keep your parking business going.  ???

Here’s a better idea...put a fixed roof domed  stadium downtown in proximity to arena.  Keep Bills practice and administrative offices at current location. Implode RWS. Problem solved. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

Having Harbor Center, and the Arena connected like they are for only a few short years would seem like a waste. I would expect extensive renovations to Key Bank center, before they build a new one. Normally new arena's and Stadiums are built to increase luxury box revenue. Its very clear that the Sabres and the Bills are having trouble selling the Luxury Boxes on a season long basis. They now have commercials hoping the general public might buy a box on a game-by-game basis instead. Right now, outside the lower bowl concourses they have a Ted's Hot Dog food Truck. If they bring in several other Food Trucks to sit outside the stadium, but inside the gates, that might alleviate the congestion in the lower bowl. In the meantime, I will enjoy my cheap goal line NFL season tickets.

A politically correct stadium downtown will be the end of the franchise.  No more tailgating?  the current fans will evaporate......driving in and out would be a nightmare....as the lake and river block roads in those directions.  So, same fans on fewer roads?  rightttt.......

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hammered a Lot said:

They spent over a billion dollars on the Bills, but their main interest is hockey? How about they have interest in many ventures.