Congrats Expos/Nats

PromoTheRobot

Even though I hate every team that isn't the Braves, especially NL East teams like the Nats, it would be somewhat satisfying to watch Golden boy Bryce Harper's former team win the series the first year after his departure.

Edited by Rob's House
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Scherzer has consistently been one of the best this decade.

Strasburg gets a 2nd chance at the playoffs after being forced to sit in 2012.
Sanchez throws a gem for 7 2/3 innings of no-hit ball in his last start.
Good pitching and defense usually beats good hitting.

Congrats Nats.

And I am a Yankees fan  

PS Saw Frank Howard hit a home run in Yankee stadium in my youth

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

doubt it, the corporate $$$ isn't there to sustain a serious commitment to baseball

or maybe they don't mind an annual bloodbath on the financials

that was a joke trial balloon last year

Considering it would be an improvement over Tampa and their non existent fanbase. MLB has basically approved Montreal getting a franchise again and they have owners Who are ready to build a stadium once they know they have a team

9 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

They've been riding Scherzer, Strasburg and Corbin to hide their bullpen. Reminds me of the D'backs winning with Schilling and RJ .

I think the layoff could help them out. Travel days and any rain-outs during the series will almost surely help.

If either the Astros or Yankees get to the Nats bullpen it won't be pretty.

The layoff will not help them out, and they have not been "hiding their bullpen."  

The starters were performing so well they didn't have to, and that is what Rizzo has set up.

The starters were set and on schedule.

The layoff almost always  hurt hitting, and likely will in this case.

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Considering it would be an improvement over Tampa and their non existent fanbase. MLB has basically approved Montreal getting a franchise again and they have owners Who are ready to build a stadium once they know they have a team

basically approved?

okay... that is still not answering how Montreal can possibly fund a MLB franchise, this isn't a joke...

keep on dreaming

38 minutes ago, sherpa said:

The layoff will not help them out, and they have not been "hiding their bullpen."  

The starters were performing so well they didn't have to, and that is what Rizzo has set up.

The starters were set and on schedule.

The layoff almost always  hurt hitting, and likely will in this case.

No doubt the layoff often hurts hitting, but I respectfully disagree that it doesn't help the pitching. Setting up your rotation can be a huge help.The more they pitch Scherzer and Strasburg the better chance they'll have. 

They've used Scherzer and Strasburg out of the pen once each and Corbin twice. I don't think they trust their bullpen, nor should they.

I worked with a guy originally from Montreal. He was our CFO. Great guy, huge baseball & hockey fan (Expos and strangely Flyers). Went to an Expos/Marlins game with him when it was evident they were moving the next season. He just ranted about Jeffrey Loria the whole game. “I bet he wrecks this team, too!”

I bet he’s seething now.

14 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

No doubt the layoff often hurts hitting, but I respectfully disagree that it doesn't help the pitching. Setting up your rotation can be a huge help.The more they pitch Scherzer and Strasburg the better chance they'll have. 

They've used Scherzer and Strasburg out of the pen once each and Corbin twice. I don't think they trust their bullpen, nor should they.

See 2015 Mets. Although the Royals weren’t loaded with pitching,  they just won with just good enough pitching, timely hitting and great defense. 

2 hours ago, HopsGuy said:

I worked with a guy originally from Montreal. He was our CFO. Great guy, huge baseball & hockey fan (Expos and strangely Flyers). Went to an Expos/Marlins game with him when it was evident they were moving the next season. He just ranted about Jeffrey Loria the whole game. “I bet he wrecks this team, too!”

I bet he’s seething now.

Loria is why there's no baseball in Montreal. They were well supported until he decided to tear them down so they could be moved to the Washington and he would get the Marlins. After the strike year when they had led MLB and looked to be WS favorites they were never the same.

16 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

I don't think we disagree.

The Nats middle relievers and set ups have been horrible, and I'm always suspicious of Doolittle.

I've watched him since college, as a UVA season ticket holder.

Still the playoff schedule makes it easier on starting pitchers than the regular season, and their starters were set on a comfortable schedule, which I didn't think would happen having to play the one game wild card thing.

What worries me is the hitting, and historical results indicate that such a long layoff is problematic.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/15/2019 at 11:12 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

It only took 50 years but you are finally NL champs and in the a World Series.

Don't make jokes.

It is harder and harder to find teams that have been around as long as the Bills and Sabres that have not won a championship.

The Blues winning the Cup last year didn't help.

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Don't make jokes.

It is harder and harder to find teams that have been around as long as the Bills and Sabres that have not won a championship.

The Blues winning the Cup last year didn't help.

Seattle Mariners

Edited by Uncle Joe

8 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

Loria is why there's no baseball in Montreal. They were well supported until he decided to tear them down so they could be moved to the Washington and he would get the Marlins. After the strike year when they had led MLB and looked to be WS favorites they were never the same.

Loria shoulda just stuck to art & not ruined our game. In ‘03 I went to a bunch of Marlins game. Not once, but twice I was handed free ducats outside the stadium. Couldn’t get a ticket for the playoffs. Got one for the WS in what was supposed to be Roger Clemens’ last game. S FL is weird, man.

On 10/15/2019 at 11:29 PM, KD in CA said:

Ugh.  I may actually have to root for the Yankees in the WS.

Counterpoint: with the Capitals winning the Stanley Cup, if the Nats win the World Series...well, let's just say I know a lot of people rooting for the Nats because "***** you, Dan Snyder!"  :w00t: