New Wawrow article on the DUKE

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since @john wawrow drops in here occasionally, I'm going to ask if his viewpoint on Duke changed between Sept 4 and Oct 14th?  If he sees, he'll answer.

I think Wawrow may be speaking to the "over the top" fan claims or expectations that we have our OBJ or AJ Green now, which still continue.  I like the way Duke played against the Titans, and he totally "took advantage of his opportunities".  But 4 receptions for 29 yds does not an OBJ-in-waiting make.  It doesn't even make a Robby Anderson.  It doesn't mean the Bills still don't have a need for another top WR.  I could be wrong, I'll take my plate of crow if I am.

On the other hand, the whole " If he was so good, why did none of the 31 other NFL teams put in a claim on him" logic is obviously flawed.  There are far too many players floating around on cutdown day a single FO to scout accurately on how they have progressed through preseason - and Duke did not do anything much in preseason.  Priority goes to guys teams liked when they scouted them pre-draft and have seen some flashes from.

Every year guys who were cut, passed up on by 31 teams, and signed to a practice squad get called up and out-perform guys who started the season on that or another 53 man roster.  It's not a super-rare event like a white buffalo or something.

I'm not sure anyone saw enough from Duke given what he did in preseason games against second- and third-string defenses. He also got off to a slow start in training camp.

He did enough to merit addition to the practice squad. And then, according to those I've spoken to, he continued to develop in practices and scout-team situations.

GM Brandon Beane told The AP this week he fielded and rejected trade offers for Jones in the preseason.

Jones' inability to carve a niche and produce in new-look offense, plus Duke's development led to what happened last week.

I believe the Bills like what they see in Duke, but much like Foster's rise last year and mostly disappearance this year, it remains to be seen how things develop.

Let's remember, there were a lot of no-namers on the Fitz-magic quarterbacked teams. Few, save Stevie Johnson, made a lasting impact.

jw

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

14 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"The" Duke?

Yuk. Unless he starts to refer to himself this way, this is like calling a guy, "The Bob," or "The Ted," or "The Alexander."

What's all this now? :rolleyes:

It's awesome to see, and I hope he takes this opportunity and runs with it. 

He is always the most fired up player on the Bills' sidelines during the games. On 3rd down he's always standing up on the bench and waving a towel around, trying to pump up the crowd.

Of all of that, I think this is my favorite part.

Williams knows better than to take his debut lightly. He initially balked at an interview request because his first priority was heading to the weight room for a post-practice workout.

I'm sure it's already a part of him but this just screams McD's mantra "stay humble, stay hungry".

21 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"The" Duke?

Yuk. Unless he starts to refer to himself this way, this is like calling a guy, "The Bob," or "The Ted," or "The Alexander."

I like the guy, though. Everytime I hear about him it's impressive. I'm just afraid he won't be much more than a tough guy who can make contested catches but can't find open space. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Well he's 4 for 4 in getting space and making the catch in his first NFL action, and has a TD already.   He's not a burner but our offense this year isn't looking for deep shots anyway.

The Duke has a big catch radius, good hands and blocks well.  Special teamer now too.   Lookin fwd to seeing him Sunday

He adds an extra dimension to the passing attack.  Physical over the middle.  Out muscle a guy outside.  In the redzone wide body to shield off defender, and high point over favorable matchups.  In preseason I didnt think he earned a roster spot.  I think in the offense Zay jones didnt add anything to the offense that buffalo doesnt already have a guy do better.  Outside Brown and Fosters speed allow for more seperation and better deep ball tracking.  Inside Beasley is a beast and on money downs hes the slot.

12 hours ago, timekills17 said:

Umm. I think @Thurman#1's point was using his ACTUAL NAME after "The" is a bit ridiculous.

Calling Elvis "The King" or John Wayne "The Duke" is completely different from calling them Elvis "The Elvis" Presley or John "The John" Wayne (unless he's busted for visiting a prostitute, but I digress...)

That said, "Duke" actually is a nickname (at least in spelling) as his first name is actually D'haquille.

So D'haquille "The Duke" Williams would be okay.

Yes, that's what I meant, and I couldn't agree more about your suggestion of a nickname. D'haquille "The Duke" Williams would be great, and I withdraw my original objection and support your nickname here wholeheartedly. You'd have to say "D'haquille," and nobody seems to do that ... seems like Duke is a contraction of the first syllable, but the way you wrote it here works.

And as you say, nobody called him "The Elvis" Presley or "The George" Steele.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, that's what I meant, and I couldn't agree more about your suggestion of a nickname. D'haquille "The Duke" Williams would be great, and I withdraw my original objection and support your nickname here wholeheartedly.

So, am I off the hook now, too? I mean with you.

Not OSU. THE Ohio State University will not stand idly by while people wantonly toss The around while they OWN it!

Oh, wait. They lost that ludicrous case. Right?  I keep getting a bill.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

It appears that “The Duke” does get “open” he had his defender beat on his third or fourth step on the TD reception in a crowded red zone.  Now with three primary WRs that can actually catch the ball vs two out of three previously, this will help the offense as the defensive pressure  will need to be more spread out.  I think Williams is on par with or very close to being on par with Brown or Beasley. With it being likely that the O line will be healed up, and having Singletary back is going to keep opposing Ds on their heels more often. I for one see 5-1 as a good bet, SM will keep the team on track, I see no let Downs, and Williams will be an important part of the O going forward.

Go Bills!!!

Duke was less "open" there than he was nicely boxing out the DB, IMO. That guy was right up against his back, and there was little separation. It was a nice route, but I didn't see a lot of space there.

Again, hope I'm wrong about this, which certainly could be.

6 minutes ago, The Dean said:

So, am I off the hook now, too? I mean with you.

Not OSU. THE Ohio State University will not stand idly by while people wantonly toss The around while they OWN it!

Oh, wait. They lost that ludicrous case. Right?  I keep getting a bill.

Hang on, which side of this vicious little OSU contretemps do you come down on? Because there is only one correct side.   ;- )

Was there really a case about that? I always thought the ESPN announcers came up with that massive stress on the article. Did OSUers themselves start it?

Edited by Thurman#1

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Duke was less "open" there than he was nicely boxing out the DB, IMO. That guy was right up against his back, and there was little separation. It was a nice route, but I didn't see a lot of space there.

Again, hope I'm wrong about this, which certainly could be.

Hang on, which side of this vicious little OSU contretemps do you come down on? Because there is only one correct side.   ;- )

Was there really a case about that? I always thought the ESPN announcers came up with that massive stress on the article. Did OSUers themselves start it?

If it was a hoax, it was quite an elaborate one. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-state-university-trademark-the-osu-cant-trademark-the-word-the-patent-office-says/

I should have added. Probably a clever marketing stunt. If not, that's the story they should go with. 

Edited by The Dean

16 hours ago, The Dean said:

If it was a hoax, it was quite an elaborate one. 

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/ohio-state-university-trademark-the-osu-cant-trademark-the-word-the-patent-office-says/

I should have added. Probably a clever marketing stunt. If not, that's the story they should go with. 

Henceforth you are known only as A Dean.

I, and the rest of the 12th Man, have agreed upon this designation.

Edited by timekills17