New Wawrow article on the DUKE

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'm just going to leave this here.

Boom goes the dynamite!!

Hey, nothing's easier for the press to crank out than a "feel good story", even if the writer doesn't buy it himself.

Deadlines, you know...

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well supposedly a trade was in place but fell out as well.  I think a significant factor to not trade Zay then was Fosters turf toe issue.  Beane even said its all about timing as to why he didn’t do it then, so I think not having a healthy Foster was probably a relevant factor heading into a season where we already had 8 new faces on the starting offense for Josh to adjust too.

Not just turf toe issue but IMO Duke wasn't deep enough in the playbook that they thought he was ready.  They didn't cut him and put him on the practice squad for no good reason.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'm just going to leave this here.

Since @john wawrow drops in here occasionally, I'm going to ask if his viewpoint on Duke changed between Sept 4 and Oct 14th?  If he sees, he'll answer.

I think Wawrow may be speaking to the "over the top" fan claims or expectations that we have our OBJ or AJ Green now, which still continue.  I like the way Duke played against the Titans, and he totally "took advantage of his opportunities".  But 4 receptions for 29 yds does not an OBJ-in-waiting make.  It doesn't even make a Robby Anderson.  It doesn't mean the Bills still don't have a need for another top WR.  I could be wrong, I'll take my plate of crow if I am.

On the other hand, the whole " If he was so good, why did none of the 31 other NFL teams put in a claim on him" logic is obviously flawed.  There are far too many players floating around on cutdown day a single FO to scout accurately on how they have progressed through preseason - and Duke did not do anything much in preseason.  Priority goes to guys teams liked when they scouted them pre-draft and have seen some flashes from.

Every year guys who were cut, passed up on by 31 teams, and signed to a practice squad get called up and out-perform guys who started the season on that or another 53 man roster.  It's not a super-rare event like a white buffalo or something.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Since @john wawrow actually drops in from time to time, I'm going to see if I can catch his attention to ask, has his viewpoint on Duke changed between Sept 4 and Oct 14th?

I think Wawrow may be speaking in part to the "over the top" fan claims or expectations that we have our OBJ or AJ Green now, which still continue.  I like the way Duke played against the Titans, and he totally filled the bill of "take advantage of your opportunities".  But 4 receptions for 29 yds does not an OBJ-in-waiting make.  It doesn't even make a Robby Anderson.  It doesn't mean the Bills still don't have a need for another top WR.  I could be wrong, I'll take my plate of crow if I am.

On the other hand, the whole " If he was so good, why did none of the 31 other NFL teams put in a claim on him" logic is obviously flawed.  There's a lot of players floating around on cutdown day, far too many for a single FO to scout accurately on how they have progressed through preseason - and Duke did not do anything much in preseason.  Priority goes to guys teams have some background on from their draft files and have seen some flashes from.

Every year guys who were cut, passed up on by 31 teams, and signed to a practice squad get called up and out-perform guys who started the season on that or another 53 man roster.  It's not a rare event like a white buffalo or something.

Good post, almost surely going to get flamed for allowing facts to get in the way of a good story, but I agree with you.  Duke did what a number 3 or 4 guy should do for you, catch the ball first and foremost and be a nice option when 1 and 2 are covered up.  He didn't have a big day, but sadly it was bigger than what Zay had managed on any sort of consistent basis.  I was big on Zay when he was drafted, but it was pretty clear he wasn't going to make it here.  I hope Duke keeps it going, he's a good story and it would be awesome if he could manage a Stevie Johnson type of career here.

7 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lol..well no, it’s not like that. It’s a play on words because  a “ Duke” is a noble man ranked just below a Prince. Kind if like if ones name was Chief , or King, Prez etc etc. Putting a “ the” in front of the names you mention just looks silly. You really can’t see the difference ? 

I was gonna say something. but that poster has a certain way about him that I don't even like getting involved..... you are right. the comparison used was a stupid one.

Edited by Stank_Nasty

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"The" Duke?

Yuk. Unless he starts to refer to himself this way, this is like calling a guy, "The Bob," or "The Ted," or "The Alexander."

I like the guy, though. Everytime I hear about him it's impressive. I'm just afraid he won't be much more than a tough guy who can make contested catches but can't find open space. Hope I'm wrong about that.

8 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

wth’s the matter with it? There are some nicknames that effectively work adding ‘the’. Notably, John ‘the Duke’ Wayne. There’s already a precedent for it. George the Animal Steele, Elvis the King Presley.

Alit from the high horse.

signed,

The Chandler#81

8 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Lol..well no, it’s not like that. It’s a play on words because  a “ Duke” is a noble man ranked just below a Prince. Kind if like if ones name was Chief , or King, Prez etc etc. Putting a “ the” in front of the names you mention just looks silly. You really can’t see the difference ? 

Umm. I think @Thurman#1's point was using his ACTUAL NAME after "The" is a bit ridiculous.

Calling Elvis "The King" or John Wayne "The Duke" is completely different from calling them Elvis "The Elvis" Presley or John "The John" Wayne (unless he's busted for visiting a prostitute, but I digress...)

That said, "Duke" actually is a nickname (at least in spelling) as his first name is actually D'haquille.

So D'haquille "The Duke" Williams would be okay.

Edited by timekills17
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"The" Duke?

Yuk. Unless he starts to refer to himself this way, this is like calling a guy, "The Bob," or "The Ted," or "The Alexander."

I like the guy, though. Everytime I hear about him it's impressive. I'm just afraid he won't be much more than a tough guy who can make contested catches but can't find open space. Hope I'm wrong about that.

Oh yeah? The Rock says know your role and shut your mouth!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

Good post, almost surely going to get flamed for allowing facts to get in the way of a good story, but I agree with you.  Duke did what a number 3 or 4 guy should do for you, catch the ball first and foremost and be a nice option when 1 and 2 are covered up.  He didn't have a big day, but sadly it was bigger than what Zay had managed on any sort of consistent basis.  I was big on Zay when he was drafted, but it was pretty clear he wasn't going to make it here.  I hope Duke keeps it going, he's a good story and it would be awesome if he could manage a Stevie Johnson type of career here.

I really don't see him as a 1000 yarder even in the best of cases, but 650-700 with clutch catches on third down conversions and in the red zone would qualify him as a genuine starting calibre WR on this and a lot of other teams. I guess we will see how it plays out. 

15 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"The" Duke?

It appears that “The Duke” does get “open” he had his defender beat on his third or fourth step on the TD reception in a crowded red zone.  Now with three primary WRs that can actually catch the ball vs two out of three previously, this will help the offense as the defensive pressure  will need to be more spread out.  I think Williams is on par with or very close to being on par with Brown or Beasley. With it being likely that the O line will be healed up, and having Singletary back is going to keep opposing Ds on their heels more often. I for one see 5-1 as a good bet, SM will keep the team on track, I see no let Downs, and Williams will be an important part of the O going forward.

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

2 hours ago, offyourocker said:

I am curious to what really happened at Auburn.  The documentary about him said he got in a fight and was kicked off the team.  That seems pretty harsh.  Players get in fights all the time and might get a suspension but not kicked off the team.  And then NFL team will certainly give it a chance.

I think it's in the article maybe? That he broke a teammates jaw.

13 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

"The" Duke?

The Dick.

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, timekills17 said:

Umm. I think @Thurman#1's point was using his ACTUAL NAME after "The" is a bit ridiculous.

Calling Elvis "The King" or John Wayne "The Duke" is completely different from calling them Elvis "The Elvis" Presley or John "The John" Wayne (unless he's busted for visiting a prostitute, but I digress...)

That said, "Duke" actually is a nickname (at least in spelling) as his first name is actually D'haquille.

So D'haquille "The Duke" Williams would be okay.

I’m aware of his given name and that Duke is a nickname. The point still stands, the name lends itself to putting “ the” in front of it. Had zero to do with Elvis or John Wayne. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’m aware of his given name and that Duke is a nickname. The point still stands, the name lends itself to putting “ the” in front of it. Had zero to do with Elvis or John Wayne. 

This discussion is probably not pertinent to the OP, so I'll apologize in advance for derailing it.

However - note that the part of the quote you're referring to was from a different poster. 

I inadvertently quoted you, largely due to my crappy Afghanistan connection and because of network restrictions the quote button doesn't indicate properly (and I should have proofread better). Especially shouldn't have quoted you since I didn't actually reply to your objection. 

Mea culpa.

Edited by timekills17
  • Thank you (+1) 1