Mariota officially benched in Tennessee

YoloinOhio

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Vrabel always seemed like an odd choice for a HC. What exactly has he done to earn that role? 

He doesnt seem especially innovative or super motivating. What was the appeal?

Mariota has always been...ok. I always expected him to play better and he just never did. Hes had a ton of OCs which didn't help but he is super conservative. Gotta take chances in this league

The Belicheat Tree 

25 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Don't be silly. Everyone knows the important thing is 300-yard games.

Mariota has eight of them. 

Championship!

Indeed.

Going back 10 years Superbowls, I would say two key strategies have emerged at the QB position:

1) have a great QB who will win if you give him at least a mid-pack D and some key offensive pieces (Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Aaron Rodgers, Tom Brady, Russ Wilson, Matt Ryan)

2) have a decent NFL-quality starting QB you coach up and scheme for to maximize his results (Jared Goff, Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, Colin Kaepernick/Alex Smith, I'm gonna say it: Ben Roethlisberger, Cam Newton), who can win if you give him a top-notch D and a great OL.

Great QB are hard to find, thus the attraction of Strategy 2).  The problem arises if a team has a 2)-type QB but thinks they have 1) and strategizes for that. 

Of course, it complicates things that some guys (Brady, Wilson) started out as 2) but developed into 1) and some guys build an early reputation as 1) but may turn into 2) as they age (Newton, Roethlisberger)

Anyway, from the day he was drafted, Mariota was never on track to be a great QB.  But those guys are a challenge to find.  Mariota can be a decent NFL-quality QB in the right scheme with the right pieces around him.  But that's not where he is.  The Titans offense last year with LeFleur was a step down (IMO) but it did keep opposing teams off balance.   They weren't a top-scoring team but they got the job done.

I admit I have not watched every Titans game, but from what I have seen I would say that Vrabel is a D-minded coach who leaves his offense to the OC, and that Arthur Smith as OC reminds me of Rob Boras as OC with the Rams - a guy who as OC was way over his head at that time.   When a guy works with two QB who look like absolute trash, and 1-2 years later are playing each other for the NFC Championship (one goes on to win the SB), what else can ya say?  One man's Trash is a different man's Treasure perhaps.  [Boras has returned to being a TE coach and is now with the Bills as such, so I wish him every success in that role.]

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem arises if a team has a 2)-type QB but thinks they have 1) and strategizes for that. 

Scott Pioli last week was commenting that one of the reasons for the Pats* success, beyond cheating, is that Bellicheck* respects and accepts the truth that some seasons you need to lean on your D and some seasons you need to lean on your O. This year they are clearly leaning on their D, and they embrace that as Brady* struggles under center with some really bad games, including the one vs. the Bills.

I'm not sure Vrabel gets that, Mariota is too inconsistent for him to rely on the O at any time. His success demands a successful run game to set up play-action. No run game? No play-action. No play-action? No Mariota under center.

Tannehill will  be no better behind that line, which is Vrabel's other mistake...thinking a QB change will help. I think Tannehill was sacked 37 times on Sunday. Mariota is not his primary problem.

4 minutes ago, IDBillzFan said:

Scott Pioli last week was commenting that one of the reasons for the Pats* success, beyond cheating, is that Bellicheck* respects and accepts the truth that some seasons you need to lean on your D and some seasons you need to lean on your O. This year they are clearly leaning on their D, and they embrace that as Brady* struggles under center with some really bad games, including the one vs. the Bills.

I'm not sure Vrabel gets that, Mariota is too inconsistent for him to rely on the O at any time. His success demands a successful run game to set up play-action. No run game? No play-action. No play-action? No Mariota under center.

Tannehill will  be no better behind that line, which is Vrabel's other mistake...thinking a QB change will help. I think Tannehill was sacked 37 times on Sunday. Mariota is not his primary problem.

Oh, hey.  Only 4x, but he lost 35 yards on 'em.

Tannehill may be a better QB for whatever it is that Smith (OC) is trying to do there, but I agree with you: QB is not the problem, and Statue of Tannehill isn't the answer.  I could be wrong, of course; both could surprise me.

Add another QB to the trail of crushed careers in the Buffalo Bills wake..,

isn’t that three kickers and two QBs in just five game? 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

• 1 month later...