Mariota officially benched in Tennessee

YoloinOhio

I said it in one of the other threads after watching the Tenn/Jax game that I didn’t think Vrabel trusted Mariota. Look for Tenn to be another player for a QB early. Good for the Bills. More teams reach in the first for a QB means a possible impact player at another position drops. 

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

Man ... just look at these QBs since McNair left.   Almost as bad as the Bills post-Kelly!!!

2006 Vince Young (13) / Kerry Collins (3)
2007 Vince Young (15) / Kerry Collins (1)
2008 Kerry Collins (15) / Vince Young (1)
2009 Vince Young (10) / Kerry Collins (6)
2010 Vince Young (8) / Kerry Collins (7) / Rusty Smith (1)
2011 Matt Hasselbeck (16)
2012 Jake Locker (11) / Matt Hasselbeck (5)
2013 Ryan Fitzpatrick (9) / Jake Locker (7)
2014 Zach Mettenberger (6) / Jake Locker (5) / Charlie Whitehurst (5)
2015 Marcus Mariota (12) / Zach Mettenberger (4)
2016 Marcus Mariota (15) / Matt Cassel (1)

Marcus Mariota (13) / Blaine Gabbert (3)

2019 - Mariota/Tannehill

8 hours ago, klos63 said:

Tannehill will at least try to get the ball downfield.

Don't be so sure about that.  I watched a bit of the 2nd half of the TEN/DEN game and Tannehill was his old, tentative, hold-on-to-the-ball-too-long self.  It was ugly to watch.

Tennessee basically has the same QB twice on their roster.  They're done.

Turns out the Bucs couldn't have gotten it right either way. Both QB's are looking like busts right now. I think Jameis will keep playing as a backup, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mariota walks away from the game after this year. 

7 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

Not sure of your point. Did the Titans. Wnwfit by giving Marietta a full five years?

Pretty clear, if by year five you dont get it...

Most teams are expecting to see the QB take big strides by year two, if not, at least by year three.

Mariota is now on year five, that's plenty enough of a leash to see what a guy brings to the table.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. Tannehill's worse, and a lot of the problem with Mariota is really a problem with the OL and the surrounding talent.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Vrabel made this switch partly because Tannehill for whatever reason has had some success against the Chargers. I think a lot of Mariota’s problem was he was playing way too conservatively, along with his O line. He has decent receivers and a good RB1. But that O line is quite bad and Vrabel isn’t exactly a top notch HC

3 minutes ago, buffalo2218 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if Vrabel made this switch partly because Tannehill for whatever reason has had some success against the Chargers. I think a lot of Mariota’s problem was he was playing way too conservatively, along with his O line. He has decent receivers and a good RB1. But that O line is quite bad and Vrabel isn’t exactly a top notch HC

Quinton Spain > Roger Saffold.

This is all.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

tieing threads together, but the Duke Williams quote in Wawrow's article seems a propos:

" "You can never take anything for granted because as soon as you do, that's how fast it can be taken away," Williams said. "It was all fun and games last week, but it's a business now, you know."

Tannehill, to me, falls into the class of "capable NFL QB" - guys who can play well enough to win if they've got a team around him, but who are never ever ever going to be mistaken for Russ Wilson, Drew Brees or Tom Brady.  But then - how many drafted QB ever do get mistaken for Wilson, Rodgers, Brees, or Brady?

Mariota was drafted with a lot of fanfare.  I'm not persuaded he ever has had a quality OC or QB coach - Jason Michael?  - but his play has fallen off for the last two seasons under Matt LeFleur and now Arthur Smith, so the writing's been on the wall.  See Duke quote above.

Even when these guys were drafted they weren’t mistaken for those types of QBs. 3rd round, 24th overall, second round and traded away, 6th round... respectively 

Vrabel always seemed like an odd choice for a HC. What exactly has he done to earn that role? 

He doesnt seem especially innovative or super motivating. What was the appeal?

Mariota has always been...ok. I always expected him to play better and he just never did. Hes had a ton of OCs which didn't help but he is super conservative. Gotta take chances in this league

Edited by Captain Hindsight
spelling

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This. Tannehill's worse, and a lot of the problem with Mariota is really a problem with the OL and the surrounding talent.

The reality is if you don’t have a good O line you won’t have a really good QB, this has played out hundreds of times in the NFL, and yes i’m Gonna say it;  the game is won and lost in the trenches... ?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1