Jalen Ramsey Traded to Rams

The thing is - you build your team to beat your  divisional and conference opponents.  The Rams’ divisional opponents primarily are rushing teams (SF and Seattle) and the NFC in general isn’t a huge passing conference except for the Rams and maybe New Orleans.  Love the player and the value makes sense but I question the strategy. 

Again: does Marrone survive to 2020?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, whatdrought said:

Yep. I bet their QB can throw for more than 78 yards now that they have a good CB. 

The principle of what you say is definitely true, and he will improve a lot on that team. But i just don’t think they’re one CB away from being a legit contender this year.

Again, Goff threw for 900 yards the previous 2 games and they went to the SB last year.  

They also started 3-0.  It’s amazing the knee jerk reaction fans have.  They lose a few games and now they are trash. Their talent is up there with any team in the league still. 

Just now, jletha said:

Not even close to the same thing. Youre exposing yourself by comparing this trade to the Benjamin trade.

At least they got a legit good player.  

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The Rams obviously got into a bidding war, then foolishly OVERPAID...

I would choke the life out of Brandon Beane  if he did this...

One of the worst traded in history, IMO

It looks like the Rams were in a bidding war by themselves...it is terrible. Talking about instant gratification.

30 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Again, Goff threw for 900 yards the previous 2 games and they went to the SB last year.  

They also started 3-0.  It’s amazing the knee jerk reaction fans have.  They lose a few games and now they are trash. Their talent is up there with any team in the league still. 

They just dropped two divisional games, including getting blown out at home. There's no argument that they're a top 2 team in their own division, and they've been a shell of themselves since Gurley got hurt and Goff has been exposed as a decent player dependent on everything else going right for him. They're not trash, they do have a good talent level, but from a team building perspective, their lack of infusion of young blue chip players is hurting them as the team as a whole trends in a bad direction. 

Edited by whatdrought

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Kelvin Benjamin for 2 picks.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- In a deal that was completed minutes before the NFL's trade deadline Tuesday, the Carolina Panthers dealt top wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin to the Buffalo Bills for a third-round pick and a seventh-round pick in the 2018 draft.

The third-rounder is the Bills' original selection, not the one the franchise acquired from the Philadelphia Eagles in a separate deal. The seventh-rounder was acquired in a July trade with the Los Angeles Chargers for quarterback Cardale Jones.

A little bit different than 2 first rounders and a fourth.

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure the Rams were fleeced.   Goff withstanding, of the 5 1st round picks they gave up they have 2 Pro Bowl/All Pro Level players.    They used the draft picks, just not on draft night. 

Depends on how you want to build your team.  But I think using 5 1st rounders and getting a starting QB, a #1 wide out, and a All Pro Cornerback in return is kind of a high rate of success.

If you look at the Bills last five 1st rounders would you prefer what the Bills have or the Rams:

Bills: Ed Oliver, Josh Allen, Tremaine Edmunds, Tre White, and Shaq Lawson

Rams: Jalen Ramsey, Brandin Cooks, and Jared Goff

I'd still take the Bills but it's not an easy choice.

• Like (+1) 1

Trading 2 first rounders for any player is a crap shoot.  Maybe Les Snead would rather have a proven player than an unproven one.  Who knows.  

I'm in agreement with many who have said that this is not the move that will take them back to the Superbowl.  The first problem that they have needed to solve is the Todd Gurley problem.  Despite the fact that they've cut back on his workload, he's still not the dominant player that he was just a year ago.  By the time they got to the Superbowl they knew he was not going to be the offensive force, he was earlier in the year.  

They would have been more wise to use half of this draft capital (one first rounder) on the Chargers' Melvin Gordon when he was available earlier in the year.   And don't get me wrong...I don't think that that would have been a good deal.  I just don't agree that mortgaging the future for a CB was a good move and a better move would have been to improve the areas that cause issue.

And before we bury McVay as a coach, he's been uber successful.  He took the team that Jeff Fisher had and turned them into a juggernaut, going 11-5 and 13-3.  They made the Superbowl in his second year.

Fisher's records with the Rams were:

2012 7-8-1

2013 7-9

2014 6-10

2015 7-9

2016 4-9 (fired in mid-season) Rams went 4-12

McVay has a career record of 27-11

Contrast that with the Bills record before McDermott

2012 6-10 Chan Gailey

2013 6-10 Doug Marrone

2014 9-7 Marrone

2015 8-8 Rex Ryan

2016 7-9 Ryan/Anthony Lynn

McDermott has a career record of 19-18.

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

As I’ve said, I wouldn’t have made that trade, but the Rams are putting all their chips in this year.  Ramsey is 24-years old, has insane athletic ability, and is a legit shutdown corner.  He’s a defensive cornerstone for years to come, at a premium position.  

And the notion that Goff now stinks is absurd.  Did anyone watch the way he played against Seattle on the road 10 days ago?  He too is 24 years old, and he’s already taken the Rams to the Super Bowl.  Who’s to say that Ramsey won’t put them over the top this year, and if he does, who can deny that it was worth it?

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not sure the Rams were fleeced.   Goff withstanding, of the 5 1st round picks they gave up they have 2 Pro Bowl/All Pro Level players.    They used the draft picks, just not on draft night. 

Depends on how you want to build your team.  But I think using 5 1st rounders and getting a starting QB, a #1 wide out, and a All Pro Cornerback in return is kind of a high rate of success.

If you look at the Bills last five 1st rounders would you prefer what the Bills have or the Rams:

The big difference is the cap space. I’m too lazy to look it up, but nearly certain all 5 of those Bills players combined salary equals less than the salary of Goff alone. Probably less cap than what Ramsey will command as well. That’s the big thing. Sure using 5 1st rounders for a starting QB, top CB and top WR is good value in a vacuum. But you also have to factor in the opportunity cost of losing about 65 million in cap to Goff, Cooks and Ramsey. 

Edited by Bills2ref
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

The big difference is the cap space. I’m too lazy to look it up, but nearly certainly all 5 of those Bills players there combined equals less than the salary of Goff alone. Probably less cap than what Ramsey will command as well. That’s the big thing. Sure using 5 1st rounders for a starting QB, top CB and top WR is good value in a vacuum. But you also have to factor in the opportunity cost of losing about 65 million in cap to Goff, Cooks and Ramsey. 

It’s a valid point, and I’m sure it’s something the Rams thought about before they pulled the trigger.  I’m assuming they have a plan....

Edited by mannc

2 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

The big difference is the cap space. I’m too lazy to look it up, but nearly certainly all 5 of those Bills players there combined equals less than the salary of Goff alone. Probably less cap than what Ramsey will command as well. That’s the big thing. Sure using 5 1st rounders for a starting QB, top CB and top WR is good value in a vacuum. But you also have to factor in the opportunity cost of losing about 65 million in cap to Goff, Cooks and Ramsey. 

Goff’s cap hit this year is $10M

22 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You're asking if we want 4 blue chip players (or players who are looking to turn into blue chipers) on cheap deals and a rotational piece vs. 3 blue chip players making giant contracts? 

It's not a question of if they're getting value, it's a question of the sustainability of buying expensive players while getting rid of the #1 way of adding cheap players. 

• Thank you (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Goff’s cap hit this year is $10M

14 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

And next year it's $36m 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think their plan may be "Oh *****!  We're losing!  We gotta turn this around QUICK!"

An overreaction to the fact that they did the "win now" method last year and couldn't get the job done when it came time and now they're committed to this small window and can't let it go. 

Edited by whatdrought

25 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Good way to look at it. Basically, it still really comes down to the qbs.  At his best, IMO, Goff has top 10 ability.  Obviously, he has some flaws. It’s still way to early to say one way or the other on Allen.  

I will say that as someone who has doubts about Allen, I would be absolutely thrilled beyond belief if he had Goff’s last 2 seasons. We all would. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, whatdrought said:

Yep. I bet their QB can throw for more than 78 yards now that they have a good CB. 

The principle of what you say is definitely true, and he will improve a lot on that team. But i just don’t think they’re one CB away from being a legit contender this year.

The rams are super bowl or bust.  The only thing that matters to them over the next 1-2 years is bringing home a title.   They are closer to that with Ramsey as opposed to not having Ramsey.

replacing peters with Ramsey is a HUGE upgrade.