Jalen Ramsey Traded to Rams

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Didn’t really cost them THAT much. 

a late second and a corner they couldn’t rely on

for a 6, a year of Sammy on a rookie deal and a 3rd round comp pick? 

Doubt anyone lost sleep over it. 

The biggest issue I see @NoSaint is with the Sammy trade they expected to be able to resign him, but he waited and got a better deal elsewhere.  That caused the Rams to miss out on some FA WR - then then had to panic and trade an additional 1st for Cooks and then overpay for him.

They did not seem to learn because now they have traded for Ramsey, but his contract is still up after this year.  This is like doubling down on Watkins because of what they gave up.  The Rams have to be willing to pony up top CB money to keep him (and hope he does not make it to the FA market) and although he makes them much better the teams that they are behind in that division both are top 10 in rushing offense and have beat the Rams already.

The signing of Cooks and the contracts to Gurley, Donald, and Goff - lead to additional Cap decisions to let some quality on the Oline go this year. If they sign Ramsey to a huge, long term deal - which they can do if they spread it out right - they are going to lose even more quality and depth next year.  If they make him the highest paid at 17 - 20 million per and make it work out - they will lose guys like Fowler, Whitworth, Brockers, Talib, Etc.  

It really gives them a tight window with their talent to this year.  They will then have to let some or most of their FAs go and replace them with lower end players and the overall team depth gets worse.  I think you are already seeing the effect this year with their O-line being significantly worse and Goff and the running game looking worse.  

They also lack the resources to address the issue and draft guys to fill those roles.

I don’t hate the move if they can win the SB this year, but I think it begins to shut their window for being an elite team to this year and then they will have a bunch of superstars with little depth and they begin to fade to middle of the road.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I'm glad he's out of the conference

Yeah, this was my initial reaction as well.  Would have hated to see an AFC rival land him.

Jacksonville got great value in the trade but it's still a black eye for them...a star player quit on the team and wanted out.

6 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

This is a big deal for the Bills.  The Rams will be forced to make him the highest paid cornerback.   Tre will expect similar. 

The good news is at least Tre has class vs. this bum ... can't believe what the Rams gave up to acquire this headache. 

image.png.99f1f4dae117968c0ed060c9c4f0038d.png

6 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

This is a big deal for the Bills.  The Rams will be forced to make him the highest paid cornerback.   Tre will expect similar. 

Beane is smart about the cap. They will make a good deal or trade him. I don't think the Bills are any longer a team that invests beyond a certain point in a player unless he is a franchise player, and I REALLY LIKE Tre but I don't see any CB being a franchise player. 

6 hours ago, jabu said:

LOL, why do you think there is anything wrong with ones knees at 60? Mine at 63 are as good as at 23. No one in their 40's, 50's, 60's etc is as athletic as in their 20's,  but it's not like arthritis starts setting in when you hit 60. In fact, I climbed a 14er in CO a couple years ago, no problem. 60 sounds old until you get there. If one halfway takes care of oneself, you'll be surprised how it isn't. Perhaps you meant a 90 y/o.   ?

Sorry, I meant no disrespect ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The Rams obviously got into a bidding war, then foolishly OVERPAID...

I would choke the life out of Brandon Beane  if he did this...

One of the worst traded in history, IMO

It could be an overreaction to the sheer number of points they gave up a few weeks ago to Tampa bay.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

If they have a corner like Ramsey, they can play everything else differently.  Truth

Yep. I bet their QB can throw for more than 78 yards now that they have a good CB. 

The principle of what you say is definitely true, and he will improve a lot on that team. But i just don’t think they’re one CB away from being a legit contender this year.

• Like (+1) 1

Why would the Rams make a trade this drastic with their arrow pointing down right now?

The answer to your problems isn't bringing in a CB and giving up TWO first round picks in the process.

I don't understand this thinking at all.

This is the kind of move that gets a team a new front office and coaching staff in two years.

Weird move on their part and only time will tell if it actually does work out.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

The Rams obviously got into a bidding war, then foolishly OVERPAID...

I would choke the life out of Brandon Beane  if he did this...

One of the worst traded in history, IMO

Teams are starting to play real life fantasy league with players. The Rams must be confident they are in position for another run. 

Edited by Rocket94