Jalen Ramsey Traded to Rams

Just now, Nextmanup said:

This move has nothing to do with the Rams future.

It's a "win now" move to the hilt.  Whether it works or was fair value remains to be seen.

I completely disagree. I don’t know how you can ignore the fact that they are giving up two future draft picks, and say it doesn’t impact their future. 

I agree, as I said elsewhere, its 100% a win now move. And as you said, we’ll see if it works or he plays to an all-pro level. But it’s hard for me to see how trading such heavily valued draft capital can be seen as not jeopardizing the future. 

I actually think the Rams’ philosophy is pretty interesting. Maybe when you have 4 or 5 stud corner pieces, as they think they do, you just go after elite players and push off the dead cap hits and draft pick losses as far as you can? 

Plus, being in a new and fickle market like LA, you wonder if the team is thinking they have to win now and build loyalty or else they won’t have a fan base for the future. 

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

And..........then you need to PAY THE MAN! Too rich for my blood. 

I love McD’s scheme where we can get some CB’s who can do the job without TOTALLY breaking the bank. 

agreed sir! the Rams have about a 3 year window. they miss, they are done. What I wouldn't give to see JA flex at Ramsey in a SuperBowl lol. At this point, I'll take Tre and Wallace?

15 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

That would set us back a year or two on this journey in my opinion.  We need to keep moving forward, giving up one of our top 2 or 3 players takes away our momentum.

And White is beloved in that locker room. He's also one of the top CB in the game. He's the#1 CB on the best passing d in football since 2018.

Def not making that trade!

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

ill again point to them winning their conference last year. 

plenty of day two draft picks don’t work out. They moved on, got a replacement, and received a 3rd round compensatory pick. Essentially they traded back 35 spots on day 2 of the following year to try to fill a hole there. (I’m aware of Gaines but seemed ready to move on from him)

Id be fine with that choice here. Worst case is what happened, best case you get a good guy cheap.

Yeah, Sammy the Decoy propelled them to the conference finals. Just stop. They got swindled in that deal and Snead looked like a clown, just as he does today making this panic trade. He just lost a ton of leverage in Ramsey's next negotiation, as trading 2 first-round picks for a short-term rental would almost certainly get him axed (barring a miracle SB win).

1 hour ago, mannc said:

He is arguably the best CB in the league.  It's a premier position, arguably worth even more than a top edge rusher.  That's worth 2 firsts.  There were apparently multiple teams willing to give that up for him.

Gonna have to disagree. You're mortgaging your future on one position that isn't a difference maker 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Rams can survive this trade.  What they can’t survive is paying a bottom-15 quarterback $25m/year or whatever it is they’re paying Goff to suck.  That’s going to kill them.

As terrible as Goff was last week, I struggle to call a guy who passed for 900 yards the previous 2 weeks bottom tier.  Their defense has been a huge problem, 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Gonna have to disagree. You're mortgaging your future on one position that isn't a difference maker 

I would not have made the trade either, but a top cover corner like Ramsey is absolutely considered a difference maker in today's NFL.  It can be hard to keep up with league-wide trends, but the current thinking is that great coverage guys like Ramsey are more valuable than pass rushers because teams have figured out ways to neutralize pass rushers. (I'm guessing that might be news to Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield and some other NFL QBs.)      

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, bbb said:

Things seem to have really changed lately.  Lots of first round picks flying around the last two years or so.  For quite awhile, they were never traded. 

I think people overvalue draft picks.  There are a lot more 1st round busts than people remember. Ramsey, at worst, is a top 5 cb.  Those aren’t easy to find.  

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I would not have made the trade either, but a top cover corner like Ramsey is absolutely considered a difference maker in today's NFL.  It can be hard to keep up with league-wide trends, but the current thinking is that great coverage guys like Ramsey are more valuable than pass rushers because teams have figured out ways to neutralize pass rushers. (I'm guessing that might be news to Aaron Rodgers, Baker Mayfield and some other NFL QBs.)      

Ramsey makes Donald better. 

• Like (+1) 2