Feliz Navidad: Jon Feliciano is balling

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Especially when you have almost $90 million in cap space and no need to pay a QB for a few years still.

I think what we’ll see is a bunch of heavily front loaded extensions signed, even if they aren’t hitting free agency. Use up most of next year’s cap to allow wiggle room for when we need to sign Allen, which will likely happen in 2 years. 

Spain has had some issues this year. 

I think the Bills need to rotate Ford with Spain at RG and see if Ford can play well on the left side and just let Feliciano and Nsehke hold down the right side of the line.  I think that's our best line combination.  

40 minutes ago, JustWinPlease said:

Cody Ford was a waste of a pick, should've taken a WR...lock up Spain and Feliciano, trade Ford and draft a real RT.

Ford can't play RT and there's no need for him at OG either...I'd take AJ Brown, JJ Whiteside or DK Metcalf over him in a heartbeat.

I'd respectfully disagree JWP. 

Ford may not develop into a starting NFL tackle, but he seems to have the chops to be a fantastic NFL guard for the next twelve years.  I'm sure Beane had high hopes about our O-Line free agent pick ups but he had no way to know how they were going to work out.  For a team that had no O-Line at all last year, I think Ford was a second round pick well spent.

Just look to the Titan's game to see the value of depth on the O-Line.  We don't win that game without the second and even third string O-Linemen (Feliciano, Long, Bates) coming into the game and playing solid football.  The entire right side of the line came off the bench and there was no drop off in play.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Oh - yes I think JF can. Don’t think Ford has 

If JF can play LG as well, move him there, move Ford to RG, start Bates at RT and that could be a really good OL.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

It's weird to me how many people think Spain is playing poorly this year. He's not. He has struggled AT TIMES, as all offensive linemen do, but his positive contributions far outweigh his negative moments. Cover 1 just posted a bunch of clips of him on Twitter. He's an absolute load in the run game, he handles twists and stunts very well, he's a leader in the locker room, and he brings size and attitude that the coaches like. Sometimes I feel like people want a Pro Bowler at every position. Spain is more than adequate at LG. 

I also don't think the coaching staff has given up on Cody Ford playing right tackle. They must feel that he is progressing at that position. Either that or they don't feel that Nsekhe can hold up there full time, health-wise. 

In any event. I feel that the Bills have 3/5 of the line solved long term: Dawkins (another one that people are more down on than me this season. He is having a career year), Morse, and Feliciano. Now they just need to decide whether Spain factors into the long term equation. If he doesn't, I'm fine with trying out Spencer Long or Cody Ford at LG. A tackle needs to be drafted or signed this offseason, it appears. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I actually think he played even better at C than at G. I am not certain he isn't the best performing C on our roster right now. 

He was not too shabby.

Saw him get bull rushed once, where he let the DT get into his pads.

It is good to have that depth.

Infuriating to me how inadequate we’ve been at RT for years. All indications are that Ford is a guard. I like Nsekhe at tackle but he’s old and been banged up since training camp and I don’t know if he’ll ever be healed enough this season to take every snap at RT. Honestly wouldn’t be surprised if he has a procedure at the end of the season.  Something not right there. 

3 hours ago, Logic said:

It's weird to me how many people think Spain is playing poorly this year. He's not. He has struggled AT TIMES, as all offensive linemen do, but his positive contributions far outweigh his negative moments. Cover 1 just posted a bunch of clips of him on Twitter. He's an absolute load in the run game, he handles twists and stunts very well, he's a leader in the locker room, and he brings size and attitude that the coaches like. Sometimes I feel like people want a Pro Bowler at every position. Spain is more than adequate at LG. 

I also don't think the coaching staff has given up on Cody Ford playing right tackle. They must feel that he is progressing at that position. Either that or they don't feel that Nsekhe can hold up there full time, health-wise. 

In any event. I feel that the Bills have 3/5 of the line solved long term: Dawkins (another one that people are more down on than me this season. He is having a career year), Morse, and Feliciano. Now they just need to decide whether Spain factors into the long term equation. If he doesn't, I'm fine with trying out Spencer Long or Cody Ford at LG. A tackle needs to be drafted or signed this offseason, it appears. 

Fair points.

Spain is on a one year prove it deal and is going to cost some coin to resign at the end of the year.  If Ford can play well at LG, we can slot him in there and he will be cost effective playing on his rookie contract, and the O-Line will  still have great depth with Nsekhe, Long, Bates, and Feliciano vying for playing time at the two positions on the right side of the line. Just a thought.

One thing is certain, in one year we have gone from having arguably the worst O-Line in the NFL, to an embarrassment of riches on our O-Line.  Successful football starts in the trenches. Kudos to Beane, McDermott, and Bobby Johnson for putting us in this position.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, JustWinPlease said:

Cody Ford was a waste of a pick, should've taken a WR...lock up Spain and Feliciano, trade Ford and draft a real RT.

Ford can't play RT and there's no need for him at OG either...I'd take AJ Brown, JJ Whiteside or DK Metcalf over him in a heartbeat.

Did you know that the more rookies play the better they get? I bet you wanted to trade Edmunds last year too.