Kaepernick Black-balled?

Should Colin Kaepernick be allowed to play?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have a problem with Colin Kaepernick playing for an NFL Team?

• No Problem! He should be allowed to play!
    • He should NOT be allowed to play!
  2. 2. Hypothetical Scenario to make it interesting: Josh Allen needs "Bogosian/UPL-type hip surgery; should the Bills sign Kaepernick to start or back-up Barkley?

• Sign him!
    • Let's find some other talent and weather the storm 'til Josh comes back next year - mid-season!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/17/2019 at 04:00 AM

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'd have a lot more respect for Kaepernick supporters if they were honest about why they support him, and applied that principle consistently.

I support him because he is an NFL quality player who stood up for something he believed in and did so peacefully standing up for the social injustice...which is a massive issue in our country.  

Before the kneeling, Kap had given more money and time to his local community than anyone can fathom.  He was falsely painted a monster for standing up for others rights.  He deserves to still have a job, and he doesn't deserve the hate he has received.  

And honestly, it was Trump that turned him into a monster for his own political pop.  Sure he was controversial, but it wasn't until Trump (who openly admitted to this) focused on him and the kneeling as it was one of the few things he was getting a positive boost from at the time.  Trump turned the kneeling into meaning something it didnt and social media justice ate up the BS in spoons full.  Trump literally does not even know the words to the national anthem and dodged the draft and called POWs losers for getting captured.  Yet somehow he spoon fed this nonsense to being about Kap disrespecting America and our Military which it had literally nothing do with any of those things.  

He kneeled to stand up for social injustice at a time where there were many unlawful killings of innocent and unarmed African American individuals caught on tape in a short window by armed officers.  It was never about the military, America itself, etc.  That was a false narrative by Trump because he got a "boost" in the polls when he did it, and he said so himself.

So I support him for starting a conversation that was important and needed to happen.  I support him as he is a NFL quality player who should have a job.  I support him because he was a good person off the field before and AFTER the kneeling.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

If he would get paid like Peterman Kaep would have a better chance at getting a job and that salary is why a lot of 2nd string QBs remain on roster.

If you can get paid like Peterman for a decade for mostly holding the clipboard, you’ve got yourself an AWESOME deal! 

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

I support him because he is an NFL quality player who stood up for something he believed in and did so peacefully standing up for the social injustice...which is a massive issue in our country.  

Before the kneeling, Kap had given more money and time to his local community than anyone can fathom.  He was falsely painted a monster for standing up for others rights.  He deserves to still have a job, and he doesn't deserve the hate he has received.  

And honestly, it was Trump that turned him into a monster for his own political pop.  Sure he was controversial, but it wasn't until Trump (who openly admitted to this) focused on him and the kneeling as it was one of the few things he was getting a positive boost from at the time.  Trump turned the kneeling into meaning something it didnt and social media justice ate up the BS in spoons full.  Trump literally does not even know the words to the national anthem and dodged the draft and called POWs losers for getting captured.  Yet somehow he spoon fed this nonsense to being about Kap disrespecting America and our Military which it had literally nothing do with any of those things.  

He kneeled to stand up for social injustice at a time where there were many unlawful killings of innocent and unarmed African American individuals caught on tape in a short window by armed officers.  It was never about the military, America itself, etc.  That was a false narrative by Trump because he got a "boost" in the polls when he did it, and he said so himself.

So I support him for starting a conversation that was important and needed to happen.  I support him as he is a NFL quality player who should have a job.  I support him because he was a good person off the field before and AFTER the kneeling.  

So you support him because you agree with him. I can respect that. Are you suggesting that if you disagreed with his cause you'd be okay with his employment situation?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/foxsportsradio.iheart.com/alternate/amp/2017-08-09-clay-travis-believes-seahawks-offered-kaepernick-a-contract/

ummm yep Turned down NFL offers in 2017. 

ahhh must be is collusion settlement money is running out. Ooo wait or he lied to keep his name in the news 

So someone "believes" he did and now its true.  These same types of internet people "believed" Clowney was being traded to the Bills, Frank Clark was headed to the Bills, Stefon Diggs was headed to the Bills, and so on and so on.  

Again, you want to take hear say and internet gossip as fact to support your own bias.  And he became a Free Agent at the end of the 2016 season...which is in calendar year 2017 when the season ends.  

But again, lets assume it is true.  It was once again BEFORE he was black balled.  Seattle had an entrenched franchise QB in Wilson and Kap was still looking for a starting opportunity given he just became a free agent and believed he could start especially coming off a massive contract, recent SB, etc.  

So you want to jump to this conclusion that TODAY he doesn't want to play because he didnt immediately take a backup job to Wilson right when he became a free agent?  Come on dude

No disrespect, but you are just doing everything you can to reinforce your negative bias on him.  I am not even claiming he wants to play, I am saying its pretty silly to assume he didnt want to be a backup 3 years ago when he first became a FA 2 years removed from leading the Niners to a SB.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

If I were him, I'd sue the league for $10MM per year for as many years I felt I could have played plus treble damages.  Very provable, smacks of racism too.

A law suit at this point in time would be a fool's errand.  He terminated his last contract.  His play had deteriorated and was no longer as effective as he had been earlier in his career. He had also gone on record about the type of payment that he would require.  From the owner's perspective, he had alienated a significant percentage of the NFL's customer base and many of their sponsors.  It isn't hard to understand why 32 owners felt that having him around wasn't worth the hassle. Proving a concerted effort by the owners to keep him out of the league, is not easy to prove contrary to popular belief.  Lastly, getting to play in the NFL isn't a right that belongs to any individual.  As far as the claim of racism toward an organization that has minorities as the majority of their employees, it would be a significant uphill fight in court.

Personally, I wouldn't have been upset with him getting a shot to prove himself in a training camp.  He had the right to protest to draw attention to a problem that is important to him.  I don't think he anticipated that his actions during the national anthem would result in the severe push back that it received.  I would have picked a different method to protest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wtf? This :censored: again? This horse is more beaten to death than the Mahomes one. To play in the NFL is a privilege, not a right. He already got his $60,000,000-$80,000,000 from the NFL. He isn't owed :censored:

3 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

So you support him because you agree with him. I can respect that. Are you suggesting that if you disagreed with his cause you'd be okay with his employment situation?

Well played. If he’s good enough and won’t hurt the team by being there, he’s in the league. It’s more than one factor, and I can ignore the politics of it. I can’t even watch the news any more. Just win on Sundays! 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

Well played. If he’s good enough and won’t hurt the team by being there, he’s in the league. It’s more than one factor, and I can ignore the politics of it. I can’t even watch the news any more. Just win on Sundays! 

I'm with you. I sometimes go months without watching the news. It does a world of good for my mental health.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Actually, I dont support him because I agree with him.  I do absolutely agree with his stance that social injustice is a problem in this country, and thats really an undeniable fact.  I mean its statistically proven without any room for debate, not to mention countless piles of in your face evidence as well.  I mean look at the African American woman who was just murdered in her own home by a white cop while playing video games with her child all because her door was open.  Social injustice and prejudice against the African American community is an undeniable fact.  

However, thats not why I support him.  I support him because of who he was off the field before the kneeling and for how he peacefully protested something without violence.  Even if the subject he was supporting was not something I agreed with, I would still respect how he did it and what he stood for off the field before all this went down.  

At the end of the day, he spoke up for those he felt needed a voice.  I can respect that regardless of my personal opinion being aligned or not.  And his ability on the field is such that he is worthy of an NFL job and should have one.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

I'd have a lot more respect for Kaepernick supporters if they were honest about why they support him, and applied that principle consistently.

Very fair point as usual. Without making this overly political, you either support players/people who buck tradition/norms in their fight against management or you don't. Bring that same energy under different, yet similar circumstances. 

I happen to support the guy and believe he got a raw deal from the league, but I'm also gonna defend, let's say Nick Bosa, if something odd were to occur.

• Like (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What does that have to do with anything I just said?  I talked about his ability to play, not desire.  

Happily. By the end, he was sailing passes on 6 yard out routes 10 feet over guys' heads, and couldn't recognize when defenses were pulling CBs off his WRs entirely, leaving them with 20 yards of space between them and the nearest defenders. His coach gave him one read plays and he essentially wasn't allowed to throw the ball past the sticks. This was literally three years ago. If he was that bad three years ago and hasn't touched a football in a serious situation since, his ability to play is almost certainly significantly below where it needs to be to be a backup QB. A backup QB is, ideally, a player that fits well into his team's system stylistically, even if he's not as talented as the starter. There are no systems that involve devolving/breaking every single play to have a prayer for a meaningful completion.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, arcane said:

Happily. By the end, he was sailing passes on 6 yard out routes 10 feet over guys' heads, and couldn't recognize when defenses were pulling CBs off his WRs entirely, leaving them with 20 yards of space between them and the nearest defenders. His coach gave him one read plays and he essentially wasn't allowed to throw the ball past the sticks. This was literally three years ago. If he was that bad three years ago and hasn't touched a football in a serious situation since, his ability to play is almost certainly significantly below where it needs to be to be a backup QB. A backup QB is, ideally, a player that fits well into his team's system stylistically, even if he's not as talented as the starter. There are no systems that involve devolving/breaking every single play to have a prayer for a meaningful completion.

His coaching staff was a train wreck, the offense was completely devoid of any remaining talent, and the defense was awful after losing all of its best players early to off field stuff, injuries, and early retirements.  

He had 18 TD's to 4 INTs in 12 games his last year, he wasn't nearly as bad as he is being painted to be...especially given the talent around him was worse than what Josh Allen had to work with last year.  That Niners team was one of the worst rosters in the NFL in 2016.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

I wish this thread had never opened up. 

AGAIN. 

Even though I jumped in here late, I would agree that this thread is one that has been discussed numerous times here and didn't really need a new thread.  Then again, we can say that on just about any topic on TSW lol.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

His coaching staff was a train wreck, the offense was completely devoid of any remaining talent, and the defense was awful after losing all of its best players early to off field stuff, injuries, and early retirements.  

He had 18 TD's to 4 INTs in 12 games his last year, he wasn't nearly as bad as he is being painted to be...especially given the talent around him was worse than what Josh Allen had to work with last year.  That Niners team was one of the worst rosters in the NFL in 2016.

Here's an outline. He was a disaster, and his last starts contain bottom 5 QBing performances I've ever seen.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/colin-kaepernick-49ers-start-chip-kelly-nfl-buffalo-stats-career-highlights-fantasy-101116

Edited by arcane

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Actually, I dont support him because I agree with him.  I do absolutely agree with his stance that social injustice is a problem in this country, and thats really an undeniable fact.  I mean its statistically proven without any room for debate, not to mention countless piles of in your face evidence as well.  I mean look at the African American woman who was just murdered in her own home by a white cop while playing video games with her child all because her door was open.  Social injustice and prejudice against the African American community is an undeniable fact.  

However, thats not why I support him.  I support him because of who he was off the field before the kneeling and for how he peacefully protested something without violence.  Even if the subject he was supporting was not something I agreed with, I would still respect how he did it and what he stood for off the field before all this went down.  

At the end of the day, he spoke up for those he felt needed a voice.  I can respect that regardless of my personal opinion being aligned or not.  And his ability on the field is such that he is worthy of an NFL job and should have one.  

I'll accept that you believe everything you said in your first paragraph and simply state that I disagree and leave it at that. We don't need to debate that now.

It still sounds to me like you support him because you like him and agree with him.

What I want to know is, if a player you liked orchestrated a peaceful protest where he spoke up for people who he thought needed a voice by doing and saying things you found both wrong and highly offensive, would you still want someone to hire him?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, arcane said:

Here's an outline. He was a disaster, and his last starts contain bottom 5 QBing performances I've ever seen.

Except thats not true.  But its cool, I get it, you dont like him.  18TDS to 4 INTS in his final 12 starts with a QBR over 90 says otherwise.  

Was he Rodgers or Brady...nope.  But he led a team to the SB, played well enough to get a massive contract, and then...the entire Niners organization and team utterly imploded on itself leaving the roster as one of the worst in the NFL just 2 years removed from the SB.

But keep overlooking the facts that he had the worst Head Coach in the NFL in Chip Kelly, his entire team was dismantled in a 2 year window due to all the player losses from suspensions, off field stuff, early retirement, injuries, cap issues, and free agency.  

Its hilarious that people want to blame how bad the Niners record was over his final 2 years when he played on the worst roster in the NFL with the worst coaching.