Kaepernick Black-balled?

Should Colin Kaepernick be allowed to play?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have a problem with Colin Kaepernick playing for an NFL Team?

• No Problem! He should be allowed to play!
    • He should NOT be allowed to play!
  2. 2. Hypothetical Scenario to make it interesting: Josh Allen needs "Bogosian/UPL-type hip surgery; should the Bills sign Kaepernick to start or back-up Barkley?

• Sign him!
    • Let's find some other talent and weather the storm 'til Josh comes back next year - mid-season!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/17/2019 at 04:00 AM

I think that Kaepernick was definitely black-balled, but the hard reality is that he wasn't a very good QB before he became controversial.  Like many young QBs, Kaepernick looked like a superstar early on when he took over the Niners for an injured Alex Smith, but hit his talent ceiling fairly early on.  Veteran QBs who are good enough to be even lower level starters like Tyrod Taylor, Case Keenum, Ryan Fitzpatrick, etc aren't unemployed.  

Kaepernick's current situation is reminiscent of complaints by Jeff George years ago when teams lost interest in a QB with a great arm and no brain and picked JAG veterans like Barkley or obscure rookies/second year pros over him.  

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Interesting - 83.5% say he should be on a team in the league, which means that he is at least one of the top 64 QBs.

However, when confronted with a situation where poll takers have a need on "their" team (theoretically Bills need to pick up the 65th best QB), 67% say "not for my team". 

Those answers contradict each other. If he's good enough to be in the league and if your team is all about acquiring the best players available, then 83.5% should have responded sign him for the Bills scenario. 

No, 83.5% say he should be allowed to play, not that he should be on a team.

Some owners might have personal vendettas against the guy due to their beliefs regarding his stances.  But I believe that, for most owners, it boils down to one MAJOR issue.  If you hire the guy to play quarterback, you are immediately alienating half your fan base.  From a pure business sense, it would be absolutely stupid to sign the guy to a contract.  

He's just too polarizing

Edited by berg1029

7 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Some owners might have personal vendettas against the guy due to their beliefs regarding his stances.  But I believe that, for most owners, it boils down to one MAJOR issue.  If you hire the guy to play quarterback, you are immediately alienating half your fan base.  From a pure business sense, it would be absolutely stupid to sign the guy to a contract.  

He's just too polarizing

Is it the half of the fanbase that wants a good qb?  Because if so I agree.  This whole kneeling drama is bull#### and shouldn't matter.  Its performance that counts, and hes simply not a good qb.  If it weren't for the drama he might be a backup for a bad team, but I dont think hed even be a starter in Miami right now.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Interesting - 83.5% say he should be on a team in the league, which means that he is at least one of the top 64 QBs.

However, when confronted with a situation where poll takers have a need on "their" team (theoretically Bills need to pick up the 65th best QB), 67% say "not for my team". 

Those answers contradict each other. If he's good enough to be in the league and if your team is all about acquiring the best players available, then 83.5% should have responded sign him for the Bills scenario. 

Or fans could think he’s top 64 but there’s another option that’s a better fit for us

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So someone "believes" he did and now its true.  These same types of internet people "believed" Clowney was being traded to the Bills, Frank Clark was headed to the Bills, Stefon Diggs was headed to the Bills, and so on and so on.  

Again, you want to take hear say and internet gossip as fact to support your own bias.  And he became a Free Agent at the end of the 2016 season...which is in calendar year 2017 when the season ends.  

But again, lets assume it is true.  It was once again BEFORE he was black balled.  Seattle had an entrenched franchise QB in Wilson and Kap was still looking for a starting opportunity given he just became a free agent and believed he could start especially coming off a massive contract, recent SB, etc.  

So you want to jump to this conclusion that TODAY he doesn't want to play because he didnt immediately take a backup job to Wilson right when he became a free agent?  Come on dude

No disrespect, but you are just doing everything you can to reinforce your negative bias on him.  I am not even claiming he wants to play, I am saying its pretty silly to assume he didnt want to be a backup 3 years ago when he first became a FA 2 years removed from leading the Niners to a SB.   

go listen to his Girl Friend after he was contacted by the Ravens for a workout in 2017

12 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So someone "believes" he did and now its true.  These same types of internet people "believed" Clowney was being traded to the Bills, Frank Clark was headed to the Bills, Stefon Diggs was headed to the Bills, and so on and so on.  

Again, you want to take hear say and internet gossip as fact to support your own bias.  And he became a Free Agent at the end of the 2016 season...which is in calendar year 2017 when the season ends.  

But again, lets assume it is true.  It was once again BEFORE he was black balled.  Seattle had an entrenched franchise QB in Wilson and Kap was still looking for a starting opportunity given he just became a free agent and believed he could start especially coming off a massive contract, recent SB, etc.  

So you want to jump to this conclusion that TODAY he doesn't want to play because he didnt immediately take a backup job to Wilson right when he became a free agent?  Come on dude

No disrespect, but you are just doing everything you can to reinforce your negative bias on him.  I am not even claiming he wants to play, I am saying its pretty silly to assume he didnt want to be a backup 3 years ago when he first became a FA 2 years removed from leading the Niners to a SB.   

so where is your proof he WANTS to play. I showed you a ton to back up my claims. You are the one posting what you want to say about him. 

What is my negative bias of him please tell me. 

10 hours ago, klos63 said:

According to Kaep and his agent, they have not turned down any offers. They have not received any offers or tryouts in 3 years.

So let take a sports agent and a player that sued the league and settled words for it right?

4 hours ago, davefan66 said:

How do we know he wasn’t approached by the CFL?  Regardless, not what I as responding to.

I said I believe he has talent enough to warrant a look, hence my belief he’s being black-balled.  Pretty obvious based on being passed over for retreads by many teams in need of QB help he past few seasons.

mans yet there are actual Reports. That he has turned down offers and his Activist Girl Friend is at the heart of it. 

do you have reports of him being blackballed or just conjecture 

This subject isn't beating a dead horse................

it's trying to crush the dead horse's soul.

Plain and simple, if this asshat was a good QB, their would be some organization that would put up with his antics.

Since he is a below average QB................... the antics don't equal the headache he will cause a franchise.

Why is this so difficult for Colin backers to understand?

Remember......... he lost his starting job to Blaine fvcking Gabbert for Pete's sake and THEN all the shenanigans started. That is all you need to know about CK as an NFL QB.........

he lost his job to Gabbert. This story is DEAD.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

If I were him, I'd sue the league for $10MM per year for as many years I felt I could have played plus treble damages.  Very provable, smacks of racism too.

Ugh... This topic again.

If teams want to sign him, of course they should be allowed to.

If teams don't want to sign him, they shouldn't be forced into it.

And get out of here with that "racism" garbage.  Around 70 percent of the NFL is made up on African Americans, despite comprising less than 15 percent of the overall US population.  Kaepernick isn't sitting at home because of the color of his skin.  He's sitting because he used his job to promote controversial political ideology, infuriated a huge chunk of the NFL's paying customer base... and he simply wasn't a good enough player to warrant the distraction.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, mjt328 said:

Ugh... This topic again.

If teams want to sign him, of course they should be allowed to.

If teams don't want to sign him, they shouldn't be forced into it.

And get out of here with that "racism" garbage.  Around 70 percent of the NFL is made up on African Americans, despite comprising less than 15 percent of the overall US population.  Kaepernick isn't sitting at home because of the color of his skin.  He's sitting because he used his job to promote controversial political ideology, infuriated a huge chunk of the NFL's paying customer base... and he simply wasn't a good enough player to warrant the distraction.

Warren Moon got black balled, Colin is not.

• Like (+1) 1

At the time where this issue of Keapernick not playing was at its peak between 2016 and 2017, I would say that it was fair to put him in the same tier of quarterbacks as Case Keenum, Fitz, and Tyrod.    Players that are marginal starters and good backups.     He was interviewed by some teams in 2017 but none saw him as a match.   Back then, I think it would have been legitimate to ask why he does not have a job somewhere.

Since then, he has made a career out of social justice and used this incident to promote that.    He has lost a lot of weight, not tried out for any type of team and at least visibly does not seem to be practicing or working out with other people in the industry.     Meanwhile, other quarterbacks who may not be as talented are working out all of the time, interviewing with teams and making it known that they are available if needed.  While Kaepernick focuses on social justice(his right to do so), these other quarterback are focusing on steps needed to possibly further their football career.   If you are an NFL team that needed a quarterback, you want someone who is in football shape and more prepared to play if needed.   This is not discrimination or blackballing it is common sense.

Many others protested during that time and still have jobs.   Kaepernick is out of a job because of the choices that he has made in the three years since.

Edited by dgrochester55
  • Like (+1) 1

I think he got a raw deal from the NFL, absolutely.

He hasn't helped himself, however.  He needs to show NFL teams he's in shape and can still play and he's, to date, passed on opportunities with the AAF, CFL and XFL.   That's absolutely on him.  

53 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

go listen to his Girl Friend after he was contacted by the Ravens for a workout in 2017

so where is your proof he WANTS to play. I showed you a ton to back up my claims. You are the one posting what you want to say about him. 

What is my negative bias of him please tell me. 

So let take a sports agent and a player that sued the league and settled words for it right?

mans yet there are actual Reports. That he has turned down offers and his Activist Girl Friend is at the heart of it. 

do you have reports of him being blackballed or just conjecture 

You're taking the word of a person guilty of obstruction of justice in a still unsolved murder, a person who disposed of the suit he was wearing the night of the murder and nobody knows what happened to it. He likely knows who the murderer is, yet somehow, he has credibility.  The Ray Lewis story is to me, the most bizarre one in the NFL in years. How people ignored his actions in this murder is shocking.

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

You're taking the word of a person guilty of obstruction of justice in a still unsolved murder, a person who disposed of the suit he was wearing the night of the murder and nobody knows what happened to it. He likely knows who the murderer is, yet somehow, he has credibility.  The Ray Lewis story is to me, the most bizarre one in the NFL in years. How people ignored his actions in this murder is shocking.

Ray Lewis was great at his job.  Kaepernick isnt.  Theres no comparison to make there.  Use a realistic comparison or dont bother.  If Kaepernick was serious about playing football hed play in the CFL or XFL.  Hes not though hes just using the situation to make money for doing nothing and to bring attention to his cause.