Kaepernick Black-balled?

Should Colin Kaepernick be allowed to play?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have a problem with Colin Kaepernick playing for an NFL Team?

• No Problem! He should be allowed to play!
    • He should NOT be allowed to play!
  2. 2. Hypothetical Scenario to make it interesting: Josh Allen needs "Bogosian/UPL-type hip surgery; should the Bills sign Kaepernick to start or back-up Barkley?

• Sign him!
    • Let's find some other talent and weather the storm 'til Josh comes back next year - mid-season!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/17/2019 at 04:00 AM

41 minutes ago, H2o said:

I wouldn't have a problem with him being in the NFL. Like I said, Kudos to him and his girlfriend for flipping it. I actually think she is more the brains behind it all. He has gotten more rich off of it than he likely would have playing the game itself at this point. Hopefully the intent was to actually make a difference and not just find an angle. The reason I find it a bit suspect is because he was adopted and raised by a white family, where he had a good life by all accounts and was brought up in a loving home.

I'm also not saying I believe every QB on an NFL roster is better than him. They are clearly not. I also agree with your stance as to how guys like Tyreke Hill, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Michael Vick, and numerous other have or had NFL jobs after their situations. It's a double standard. The NFL is a talent based presentation though and talent trumps controversy. Teams don't feel that his talent level at this point is worth the circus that would surround it, especially for a guy who is going to be your backup more than likely (except in Miami).

Another angle to look at it is from the business standpoint. The NFL owners paid him somewhere between $60,000,000-$80,000,000 in a settlement. Now he expects those same owners, any of those owners, to willfully sign him to a contract? Say you or I sued our place of employment for whatever and won a substantial case. Do you think that company is going to then welcome you back to your old position with open arms? No, definitely not. Chump change to them overall or not, you have now become a pariah. We would never be welcomed there again. This is likely the same stance by the NFL. Being able to work somewhere is a privilege, not a right, for any of us. We can't walk in somewhere and tell them they have to give us a job. They don't have to give us squat. We can call and ask around, ala he and his agent, but that doesn't mean it will happen just because we may be more qualified than some others already there. 

All good, and I agree with a lot of this, but I do have to say I greatly disagree on the bolded.  

Just because he was raised by a white family doesn't mean anything though.  You don't have to be raised in a bad situation to stand up or others who are in a bad situation, so I fail to see any relevance with that point.  I grew up in a normal blue collar family, with white parents (I am half white and half Portuguese) and I think our justice system is flawed and broken in how it relates to minorities too.

In fact, I am still pissed off with recent events.  Black woman murdered by a cop in her apartment through a window while she played video games with her kid just because her door was left open?  A black juror getting 10 days in jail because he was late to a trial?  I mean its not shocking to see why people are jaded and upset in how minorities are treated in our justice system, and the stats are scary too.  I mean this stuff is crazy and pisses me off too when I see this kind of thing still happening far too often.

And the last thing I would add in response to your hoping he did it for the right reasons:  Kap donated millions of dollars and his time for a long time to his local community and kids long before the kneeling.  In other words, he was living the life of someone who really did care about others and his community and put his money and his time in as proof of that...and long before the kneeling started.  So IMHO, I think he actually gets the benefit of the doubt about him having the right intentions here as it matches his actions before it.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think he's blackballed. It's less complicated and less nefarious than that.

He's just a living walking distraction, and coaches don't want that.

I support his political stance totally but I don't want him on the Bills both because he's a distraction and because he's not good enough to help the team out enough to overcome the problems brought by the distractions. Agreed he's absolutely a top 64 guy, but if I were a coach I'd pick a different top 64 guy as my backup, because like McDermott and most (not all but by far most of them) NFL coaches, I think distractions degrade team performance.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Teddy KGB said:

Riiiiight.   Let’s not pretend he was benched for Blaine Gabbert while earning millions lmao ? ???

Riiiight, Blane Gabbert stinks and played in 8 games for the Titans last season, starting 3.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

One thing I will say:  If anyone harbors resentment towards Kap because he did not stand during the National Anthem...then you better be standing for said National Anthem when you are watching the games at home, at the bar, etc too.  Otherwise, you're just a hypocrite.  

This is such a stupid "take" that I've been seeing these last few years.  Who the ***** ever does that?  

This is all that anybody needs to know

We were going to close the deal to sign him," Lewis said on Showtime's "Inside the NFL" on Tuesday night. "Steve Bisciotti said, 'I want to hear Colin Kaepernick speak to let me know that he wants to play football.'"

"And it never happens because that picture comes up the next day."

The Aug. 2 tweet by Nessa Diab compared a picture of Lewis hugging Bisciotti to a scene from "Django Unchained," in which Samuel L. Jackson as a loyal house slave held Leonardo DiCaprio's cruel plantation owner character.

"His girl [Diab] goes out and put out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed," Lewis said. "Steve Bisciotti has said it himself: 'How can you crucify Ray Lewis when Ray Lewis is the one calling for Colin Kaepernick?'"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20597810/ray-lewis-said-baltimore-ravens-sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet

The team that was ready to sign him gets that kind of crap?!?

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Kaeps agent is paid to lie so he is not a legitimate source-Ray Lewis spoke of the Ravens situation and he has no reason to lie. Also the meet up was to see if football was his priority which he has stated is not. I agree he is one of the top 60 qbs on planet he is not top 20 and you must be worth the headache which he is not. 

Really?

But Ray Lewis, guilty of obstruction of justice in a murder case , a murder that he was likely involved in, is a legitimate source of 'the truth'. Jesus Christ you are over the rainbow.

The guy has been working out constantly for 3 years preparing for a chance and somehow you come up with it's not a priority for him?

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, bbb said:

We were going to close the deal to sign him," Lewis said on Showtime's "Inside the NFL" on Tuesday night. "Steve Bisciotti said, 'I want to hear Colin Kaepernick speak to let me know that he wants to play football.'"

The Aug. 2 tweet by Nessa Diab compared a picture of Lewis hugging Bisciotti to a scene from "Django Unchained," in which Samuel L. Jackson as a loyal house slave held Leonardo DiCaprio's cruel plantation owner character.

"His girl [Diab] goes out and put out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed," Lewis said. "Steve Bisciotti has said it himself: 'How can you crucify Ray Lewis when Ray Lewis is the one calling for Colin Kaepernick?'"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20597810/ray-lewis-said-baltimore-ravens-sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet

2 hours ago, Augie said:

If you can get paid like Peterman for a decade for mostly holding the clipboard, you’ve got yourself an AWESOME deal! 

Yes but NFLPA does not allow it. Each year the minimum veteran salary goes up but Kaep has never even said he was willing to take minimum amount just complained teams will not sign him even after lawsuit was settled.

21 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Really?

But Ray Lewis, guilty of obstruction of justice in a murder case , a murder that he was likely involved in, is a legitimate source of 'the truth'. Jesus Christ you are over the rainbow.

The guy has been working out constantly for 3 years preparing for a chance and somehow you come up with it's not a priority for him?

Two things with Lewis: he has done a lot of good since that night so to stick with that narrative-however true-from 18 years ago is irrelvant. secondly I stated motivation-he had a huge motivation to lie, as does Kaeps agent, but what is his motivation currently to lie?  Third you are just running with his agents words about his workout and lastly why did Seattle not give him a tryout if he was committed to football primarily? I am going to bed so if I get a response I will respond tomorrow. 

5 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not that I want to go down this road but he’s kind of in the “juice not worth the squeeze category.” Is Kaep one of the best 64 QBs in the world? Yep. Is he good enough to warrant the circus that will follow? Apparently not. 

This. Times 1 billion, for the umpteenth time.

35 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

Two things with Lewis: he has done a lot of good since that night so to stick with that narrative-however true-from 18 years ago is irrelvant. secondly I stated motivation-he had a huge motivation to lie, as does Kaeps agent, but what is his motivation currently to lie?  Third you are just running with his agents words about his workout and lastly why did Seattle not give him a tryout if he was committed to football primarily? I am going to bed so if I get a response I will respond tomorrow. 

Wow, Lewis likely was involved in a murder, he got rid of the outfit he was wearing that night, blood on his clothing? so he's done well since covering up a murder, great! Kaep has helped a lot of people since his great sin of kneeling, donated a lot of money to causes he believes in. I don't know why Seattle didn't give him a tryout. Didn't Carroll say that Kaep should be in the league and was good enough to play?

54 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Ray put aside those slight obstacles to win a SB and claim D-man of the year the very next season.

'slight' obstacles?  Criminally obstructing a murder investigation, to this day, unsolved.

1 hour ago, bbb said:

So the Ravens pulled an offer, not because of Kaep, but his girlfriend? That's a first. Not sure I believe that story. I've heard it before, but Lewis is a convicted criminal so not a credible witness.

I’m being blackballed by the NFL, I’m looking into a lawsuit against them. I should be on a roster and they won’t give me the time of day. 

Man!  You should make this a public poll!

3 minutes ago, Yav said:

I’m being blackballed by the NFL, I’m looking into a lawsuit against them. I should be on a roster and they won’t give me the time of day. 

Let's take a look at your resume.  Have you ever led a team to the Super Bowl?

Nope?

giphy.gif

Next...

23 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Man!  You should make this a public poll!

Let's take a look at your resume.  Have you ever led a team to the Super Bowl?

Nope?

giphy.gif

Next...

How could I when they won’t give me the opportunity? 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

All good, and I agree with a lot of this, but I do have to say I greatly disagree on the bolded.  

Just because he was raised by a white family doesn't mean anything though.  You don't have to be raised in a bad situation to stand up or others who are in a bad situation, so I fail to see any relevance with that point.  I grew up in a normal blue collar family, with white parents (I am half white and half Portuguese) and I think our justice system is flawed and broken in how it relates to minorities too.

In fact, I am still pissed off with recent events.  Black woman murdered by a cop in her apartment through a window while she played video games with her kid just because her door was left open?  A black juror getting 10 days in jail because he was late to a trial?  I mean its not shocking to see why people are jaded and upset in how minorities are treated in our justice system, and the stats are scary too.  I mean this stuff is crazy and pisses me off too when I see this kind of thing still happening far too often.

And the last thing I would add in response to your hoping he did it for the right reasons:  Kap donated millions of dollars and his time for a long time to his local community and kids long before the kneeling.  In other words, he was living the life of someone who really did care about others and his community and put his money and his time in as proof of that...and long before the kneeling started.  So IMHO, I think he actually gets the benefit of the doubt about him having the right intentions here as it matches his actions before it.  

I see white people getting beat up by blacks just for being white, and I’m not white just so you know