Kaepernick Black-balled?

Should Colin Kaepernick be allowed to play?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have a problem with Colin Kaepernick playing for an NFL Team?

• No Problem! He should be allowed to play!
    • He should NOT be allowed to play!
  2. 2. Hypothetical Scenario to make it interesting: Josh Allen needs "Bogosian/UPL-type hip surgery; should the Bills sign Kaepernick to start or back-up Barkley?

• Sign him!
    • Let's find some other talent and weather the storm 'til Josh comes back next year - mid-season!

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/17/2019 at 04:00 AM

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again...worst roster in the NFL...worst coaching in the NFL (and one of worst ever in Chip Kelly).  With Harbaugh, he was pretty good.  The last 2 years his HC's were Jim Tomsula (someone no one here even knows who he is) and Chip Kelly (one the worst to ever roam an NFL sideline).  

So again, its pretty silly to put it all on Kap with an awful roster and worse coaching around a young QB.  Now I am not saying he is a top tier QB or anything, but the stats over his career show he was worthy of an NFL roster spot.  I mean we are talking about a league that still employs Nate Pickerman and Mike Glennon (on the same team mind you) for instance.  

Its not like someone is arguing he should be the corner stone of a franchise...but he is undeniably good enough to play in the NFL, and when he last played it was still better than several of the QBs who have seen the field this year.  Thats my point.  

Its pretty unfair to validate denying him a job just because he is not part of the highest tier of said job.  Their are over 70 QB's on NFL rosters right now, its not a stretch to say he is better than more than half of those QB's and worthy of a backup QB spot.  

I wouldn't have a problem with him being in the NFL. Like I said, Kudos to him and his girlfriend for flipping it. I actually think she is more the brains behind it all. He has gotten more rich off of it than he likely would have playing the game itself at this point. Hopefully the intent was to actually make a difference and not just find an angle. The reason I find it a bit suspect is because he was adopted and raised by a white family, where he had a good life by all accounts and was brought up in a loving home.

I'm also not saying I believe every QB on an NFL roster is better than him. They are clearly not. I also agree with your stance as to how guys like Tyreke Hill, Joe Mixon, Kareem Hunt, Michael Vick, and numerous other have or had NFL jobs after their situations. It's a double standard. The NFL is a talent based presentation though and talent trumps controversy. Teams don't feel that his talent level at this point is worth the circus that would surround it, especially for a guy who is going to be your backup more than likely (except in Miami).

Another angle to look at it is from the business standpoint. The NFL owners paid him somewhere between $60,000,000-$80,000,000 in a settlement. Now he expects those same owners, any of those owners, to willfully sign him to a contract? Say you or I sued our place of employment for whatever and won a substantial case. Do you think that company is going to then welcome you back to your old position with open arms? No, definitely not. Chump change to them overall or not, you have now become a pariah. We would never be welcomed there again. This is likely the same stance by the NFL. Being able to work somewhere is a privilege, not a right, for any of us. We can't walk in somewhere and tell them they have to give us a job. They don't have to give us squat. We can call and ask around, ala he and his agent, but that doesn't mean it will happen just because we may be more qualified than some others already there. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Rob's House said:

I'd have a lot more respect for Kaepernick supporters if they were honest about why they support him, and applied that principle consistently.

Conversely, I might have respect for the anti Kaep crowd if they admitted he's being blackballed and stop telling untruths. He hasn't been offered a contract, hasn't been offered a tryout,  his ability has nothing to do with him not getting an opportunity, that must be very obvious to anyone who wants to discuss facts here. Every crappy QB in the last few years gets opportunities, tryouts at the very least.

I thought we had consensus-stupid topics that have no meaning are reserved for offseason and bye week-which ended yesterday-so why is this topic open?

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Conversely, I might have respect for the anti Kaep crowd if they admitted he's being blackballed and stop telling untruths. He hasn't been offered a contract, hasn't been offered a tryout,  his ability has nothing to do with him not getting an opportunity, that must be very obvious to anyone who wants to discuss facts here. Every crappy QB in the last few years gets opportunities, tryouts at the very least.

https://dailycaller.com/2017/08/07/nfl-source-kaepernick-turned-down-at-least-1-contract-to-play-up-the-race-card/

and

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/24/colin-kaepernick-seattle-seahawks-workout-nfl

those took me less than one minute-he has tried out and failed and was offered a contract.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

I thought we had consensus-stupid topics that have no meaning are reserved for offseason and bye week-which ended yesterday-so why is this topic open?

That's your opinion and not mine. You're not the end all be all of TBD.

Just now, klos63 said:

How would anyone know if he was being blackballed? It's entirely possible that there is not a single owner in the league that wants to deal with the headache over a borderline starter/backup. See Tim Tebow

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, klos63 said:

He sued the people he claims to want to give him a job. Of course he is getting blackballed. Plus, he's not very good, which makes it a lot easier for the owners to keep blackballkng him.  

10 minutes ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

https://dailycaller.com/2017/08/07/nfl-source-kaepernick-turned-down-at-least-1-contract-to-play-up-the-race-card/

and

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/may/24/colin-kaepernick-seattle-seahawks-workout-nfl

those took me less than one minute-he has tried out and failed and was offered a contract.

Great work  One Minute Timmy, you know what i can find in 1 minute on the internet???? Just about anything.

Did you read the statement from Kaeps agent last week?  Seattle was not a workout, was a meet up, but no on field workout.  He also said he was not offered any contract by any team to turn down.

8 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

How would anyone know if he was being blackballed? It's entirely possible that there is not a single owner in the league that wants to deal with the headache over a borderline starter/backup. See Tim Tebow

I guess I see that as being blackballed, but that might not be the correct term. I think no team wants the potential issues that will come up if he is signed. His not being signed has nothing to do with his football skills.

3 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

If I were him, I'd sue the league for $10MM per year for as many years I felt I could have played plus treble damages.  Very provable, smacks of racism too.

Yawn. He had a gig in San Fran and walked away from it.  He's too busy dissin' Betsy Ross.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Great work  One Minute Timmy, you know what i can find in 1 minute on the internet???? Just about anything.

Did you read the statement from Kaeps agent last week?  Seattle was not a workout, was a meet up, but no on field workout.  He also said he was not offered any contract by any team to turn down.

I guess I see that as being blackballed, but that might not be the correct term. I think no team wants the potential issues that will come up if he is signed. His not being signed has nothing to do with his football skills.

Kaeps agent is paid to lie so he is not a legitimate source-Ray Lewis spoke of the Ravens situation and he has no reason to lie. Also the meet up was to see if football was his priority which he has stated is not. I agree he is one of the top 60 qbs on planet he is not top 20 and you must be worth the headache which he is not. 

My last ever CK posts

1) if you say he’s not good enough to be one of the 64 nfl qbs without these, you’re full of crap, have other motives, or just know nothing about football. The 49ers were a joke his last there where Jeremy Kerley was their number 1 receiver and they were terrible after CK.  Yet, he had 16 tds to 4 ints. Of course, some folks here think Matt Barkley is a good qb.

2). He’s never getting a shot again.  In a league that gives second chances to women beaters, it’s a terrible message.  It’s also hilarious what some fans choose to get outrage about.

3) I don’t care what a player believes politically because why would I?  Personally, I’m fine with Incognito (who probably shouldn’t be in the nfl and has done a million worse things than CK) and Bosa talking about they love Trump as I am with CK and Rosen.  Why this bothers people is insane?  Some fans ignore awful things players do yet this triggers them.  I want the best team of non scumbags.  CK is a better qb (the lay-off is a killer I will say) than Matt Barkley.  

4) as much as I think nfl owners are cowards and hypocrites because they just drafted Joe Mixon and Jeffrey Simmons.  But as with everything, it’s a business.  And while women beaters don’t get some fans as fired up as a guy silently taking a knee, right now, as stupid as it is, it’s bad for their business.  So cowardly but that’s all the nfl is about.  He’s done so hopefully he is using his money wisely. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

If I were him, I'd sue the league for $10MM per year for as many years I felt I could have played plus treble damages.  Very provable, smacks of racism too.

1. He isn't any good

2. He is too much of a distraction and not talented enough to put up with said distraction

3. He already sued and got a settlement 

4. People like you use the word "racism" so much it has lost it's meaning and what it was actually intended for 

5. He OPTED OUT OF HIS CONTRACT AND A BUTT LOAD OF MONEY! He walked away from a team and a contract but no, it's someone else's fault he cant find a job. 

Edited by PaulieYayo

4 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

He already settled, bro.

This is the most stale thread you could ever have started

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

And there's the rub. 

I think you're more consistent than most on this, but this is a fuzzy line between an objective principle and a subjective opinion, because we have different ideas of what is hateful or evil.

I don't know that I feel that strongly about it (I'm more glad to be American than proud), but some people have very strong feelings about the flag and the anthem and the country, culture, people, and principles it represents. They see this peaceful protest as a hateful indictment of everything they love and stand for. To them, the implication that America, and specifically white America, is racist and oppressive doesn't sound all that different from how a white nationalist sounds to you.

I know you don't share that point of view, and I don't expect you to, but I want you to understand it, because it illustrates just how difficult it is to draw the lines objectively.

Its all good, and look everyone has different views and opinions.  So I have no issue with your feeling differently about it and won't try and change your mind either.  Doesn't matter to me that we don't agree, its all good, and I do respect the way you have discussed this thus far and appreciate that.  

I do feel a big part of the issue with Kaps story was the media and Trump.  Between the medias appetite to push divisive stories, even elevating them to outlandish versions of what they really were to sell views and clicks, plus Trumps political agenda to keep going hard after this story for his own (and self admitted by Trump) political boost, the truth of what Kap stood up for got lost and mangled along the way.  Because of that, people grew to hate him and the story more because now it was sensationalized to mean things it wasn't like a direct attack on all Americans, our country, military, and that all white people are racists.  None of this was accurate or true.  

All this muddying up of what he really started this for really blurred the lines making opinions on this story that more divisive and also more about their own personal connection more than what Kap actually said and did.   

Last thing I will say:  Its not fair to project ones personal connection with the flag onto others.  Just because the Flag means something specific to one person does not mean the person next to you is any less American for not sharing the same emotional connection.  His kneeling was never a disrespect towards anyones feelings of the flag, his kneeling was his message that he is not content with where we were as a country, specifically on the matter of social injustice.  Its everyone else that decided to change it to mean he hates Americans and claims all white people are racist.  Something he never actually did or said.  

Again, respect to your and your dialogue with me on this today, good convo from two people with differing opinions.  :beer:

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I've shared my thoughts before

- It's obvious hes getting blackballed..saying hes not good enough is completely disingenuous . He went td for td with brady...beat aaron rodgers in a playoff game with one of the most incredible playoff performances ever...his last season with a decrepit team he had 16 tds 4 ints...at his peak he was a more accurate version of lamar jackson..hes def better than marcus mariotta..and jameis winston and other qbs 

- This is purely about money and revenge..the owners feel he cost them money and brought bad publicity down on the league with his protest against police brutality..the president and some of the owners like jerry jones..kept trying to make the protest about the flag when it was about protesting inaction regarding the senseless death of unarmed african americans because they wanted to end it period because it was bad for business.

-He wont be in the league ever again despite the nfl employing serial domestic abusers..rapists...child abusers...and people who have actually committed crimes because they blame him for the controversy brought on the league.

Go watch his first couple seasons in san fran and then tell me hes not good enough to play in this league..we would be estastic if we got that kinda performance against the patriots from josh that he had.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I have always wanted him to have another shot. In real-time it is hard to sign him. The media would have a field day with questions on if/when he would start if he signed with the Bills. I do wish him the best. He deserves the right fit. The Bills are not that fit tho. 

Edited by KollegeStudnet
  • Like (+1) 1