2020 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

TSNBDSC

6 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Occasionally have been to Cleveland last couple decades, not once wanted to go to the R&R HofF.

I'd rather go to Ralphie's house, which I didn't know about last time I was there.

the ghost town aspects of C's downtown keep me in my hotel room until it's time to walk over to see a game.

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

the ghost town aspects of C's downtown keep me in my hotel room until it's time to walk over to see a game.

I found that weird about the City too

I went a few years ago, drove up Sunday morning for an Indians game, stayed overnight downtown, then went to R&R HOF the next day before driving home. It was weird cause there didn't seem to be anything downtown and nothing opened the next day til 10-11 am. We walked around a mall located inside some old buildings and nothing was open til almost lunch

12 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I found that weird about the City too

I went a few years ago, drove up Sunday morning for an Indians game, stayed overnight downtown, then went to R&R HOF the next day before driving home. It was weird cause there didn't seem to be anything downtown and nothing opened the next day til 10-11 am. We walked around a mall located inside some old buildings and nothing was open til almost lunch

Detroit is the same way, nothing going on for blocks directly around Ford Field/Comerica, everything nailed shut on Sunday

you walk out onto the street of a metro city and there is NOBODY and NOTHING in your eyesight, strange feeling the first few times.

my pattern for the last decade of road trips was the downtown hotel within a safe half-mile walking distance of the stadium, for which Detroit and Cleveland can readily accommodate.  But staying at a place on the outskirts and driving around for food and leisure time and the inevitable parking woes might be work it for the future.

• Like (+1) 1

Kind of ironically Cleveland may be my favorite city to go to for that quiet aspect of it.  Then again I’m not really a people person.

NYC for example just has way too many people and is too gentrified these days imo.

Besides Ralphie’s house and the Rock and Roll Museum, there’s other good stuff on the other side of town like a world class art museum. 

For the most part people are friendly 

12 hours ago, row_33 said:

Now that the best version are all dead.... :(

Yep. Marc Bolan too, but I thought he was already in.

50 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Occasionally have been to Cleveland last couple decades, not once wanted to go to the R&R HofF.

I'd rather go to Ralphie's house, which I didn't know about last time I was there.

I would much rather go to Graceland than the RRHOF myself.

56 minutes ago, Rico said:

I would much rather go to Graceland than the RRHOF myself.

Couple friends and I were bumming around the country '78-'79 and happen to be near Memphis.

We decided to go to Graceland and start making our way there by map.

The nearer that we got, which wasn't even close, traffic was impossible.

We were caught in a trap. Turned out Elvis's father had died and was being laid out at Graceland. 

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Couple friends and I were bumming around the country '78-'79 and happen to be near Memphis.

We decided to go to Graceland and start making our way there by map.

The nearer that we got, which wasn't even close, traffic was impossible.

We were caught in a trap.Turned out Elvis's fathers had died and was being laid out at Graceland. 

i had a day off from a work file near Little Rock and drove over to Memphis to see Graceland.

sidetracked to the Civil Rights Museum, at the Lorraine Motel, in the morn and Graceland in the afternoon

i was on my own so they put me on a bus to the mansion ahead of couples waiting for hours that day.

both visits were quite memorable and recommended if you ever happen to be in Memphis, it's not that easy to find yourself there.

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

both visits were quite memorable and recommended if you ever happen to be in Memphis, it's not that easy to find yourself there.

Yeah, but we had a travel rack Graceland brochure with a crude map of Memphis with a big star over most of it showing us how to get there. Constantly got lost all over the country for those 18 months.

A Yankee asking for directions in smaller towns in the deep South in the late '70's was not always fun.

3 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Yeah, but we had a travel rack Graceland brochure with a crude map of Memphis with a big star over most of it showing us how to get there. Constantly got lost all over the country for those 18 months.

A Yankee asking for directions in smaller towns in the deep South in the late '70's was not always fun.

in Memphis i saw a modest sign pointing the direction to Jackson, so i thought maybe i could add it into the weekend road trip.

it was a few miles outside my car travel budget for that particular weekend.  got to enter the border of Mississippi for a few miles, my 43rd continental state i've set foot in

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Detroit is the same way, nothing going on for blocks directly around Ford Field/Comerica, everything nailed shut on Sunday

you walk out onto the street of a metro city and there is NOBODY and NOTHING in your eyesight, strange feeling the first few times.

my pattern for the last decade of road trips was the downtown hotel within a safe half-mile walking distance of the stadium, for which Detroit and Cleveland can readily accommodate.  But staying at a place on the outskirts and driving around for food and leisure time and the inevitable parking woes might be work it for the future.

When I was in Chicago we stayed out of the city up by the airport and had bus/train passes to get around. We made our way to see a white sox game after being told it was safe as long as we got off the train, went to the game, then got back on and left. The guy driving our shuttle from the hotel said just don't go wondering off away from the stadium. Detroit I have also been told is the same, around the venue's is fine, just don't go wondering off to far away from them and your fine.

38 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

When I was in Chicago we stayed out of the city up by the airport and had bus/train passes to get around. We made our way to see a white sox game after being told it was safe as long as we got off the train, went to the game, then got back on and left. The guy driving our shuttle from the hotel said just don't go wondering off away from the stadium. Detroit I have also been told is the same, around the venue's is fine, just don't go wondering off to far away from them and your fine.

always stay with the crowd in major cities, especially in Europe or South America

i much enjoy the White Sox scene, no love for the Cubs or Wrigley.

33 minutes ago, row_33 said:

always stay with the crowd in major cities, especially in Europe or South America

i much enjoy the White Sox scene, no love for the Cubs or Wrigley.

Wrigley was cool, even caught a foul ball that I ended up giving away to a kid behind me. We didn't end up going in to see the Sox game, they only had standing room left and my buddies didn't want that so we left

49 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Wrigley was cool, even caught a foul ball that I ended up giving away to a kid behind me. We didn't end up going in to see the Sox game, they only had standing room left and my buddies didn't want that so we left

i'm 0 for over 2,000 MLB games at catching a foul or home run ball

at 34 ballparks

Well, two or three of those names have nothing to do with Rock & Roll, but frankly I don’t care so much.  They should just call it the Pop music hall of fame, and induct every crappy pop music “artist” you know everyone is on par with the Stones, Hendricks, Led Zeppelin, and the Beatles.. 

Get of my lawn!!!

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I’m 2 for about 100.

One each at Shea and Yankee Stadium.

are you aggressive in seeking out a baseball?

i wasn't paying attention and got hit in the chest by a t-shirt fired from a shirt cannon at a Raptors game, it fell into the seat in front of me and i gave it to a kid the row behind me

it kinda smarted a bit, the surprise the most of it, glad i didn't get hit in the face