2020 Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

TSNBDSC

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

They really should get rid of the 'Rock & Roll' part and replace it with just Music.

Whitney Houston rock and roll?

You are 100% right... its basically just a mish mash of whoever no matter the style.

Interesting though, thought Todd Rundgren was already in... guess The Nazz never made it.

Let's just call this what it is, the Hall of Fame is pretty much just a money making operation. I have no problem with that but it should at least be acknowledged. My biggest issue is there is one criteria (at least 25 years since a recorded release).  However, that provides no other guidance as to what bands/singers are eligible.  My own (I'm sure there are more):

- Influence (strong weight). The music might be commercially successful but it was/is highly influential. 

- Originality What distinguishes the music?

- Cultural impact Not necessarily world wide or even the US, but did they have an impact in some way

- Pure musical talent.  That may seem obvious but there are some bands that are just not that musically gifted. 

- Deep catalog. IMO, a few hits doesn't get you in. The other songs don't need to be hits, but it's a deep collection of quality songs and albums. 

Hit music. Worldwide hits do help, but could also have a string of songs that set the tone for the genre.  

- Iconic signers/band members. Low weight, but I believe this has an impact. Recognizable, special talent, personally influential

- Popularity.  This may seem self-evident but should not be a heavy weight. Many people could know a band or singer but won't know anything about their music, couldn't name more than one or two songs and rarely, if ever, listened to one album, let alone the catalog.  Truth is, must albums are terrible save for one or two songs.  It's pretty rare for people to listen to an entire album anymore.  

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a Hall of Fame for only albums.  

2 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Let's just call this what it is, the Hall of Fame is pretty much just a money making operation. I have no problem with that but it should at least be acknowledged. My biggest issue is there is one criteria (at least 25 years since a recorded release).  However, that provides no other guidance as to what bands/singers are eligible.  My own (I'm sure there are more):

- Influence (strong weight). The music might be commercially successful but it was/is highly influential. 

- Originality What distinguishes the music?

- Cultural impact Not necessarily world wide or even the US, but did they have an impact in some way

- Pure musical talent.  That may seem obvious but there are some bands that are just not that musically gifted. 

- Deep catalog. IMO, a few hits doesn't get you in. The other songs don't need to be hits, but it's a deep collection of quality songs and albums. 

Hit music. Worldwide hits do help, but could also have a string of songs that set the tone for the genre.  

- Iconic signers/band members. Low weight, but I believe this has an impact. Recognizable, special talent, personally influential

- Popularity.  This may seem self-evident but should not be a heavy weight. Many people could know a band or singer but won't know anything about their music, couldn't name more than one or two songs and rarely, if ever, listened to one album, let alone the catalog.  Truth is, must albums are terrible save for one or two songs.  It's pretty rare for people to listen to an entire album anymore.  

Personally, I think it would be cool to have a Hall of Fame for only albums.  

Coming soon to an OTW thread near you.....

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I will always hate you...

Can’t ever judge a person on musical tastes. Gets you nowhere. Listen to Thin Lizzy radio on Pandora.

Whitney liked her various uppers and downers but could SING.

Rob Halford is a legend in many ways.