Ed Oliver pressuring: 4th in NFL among interior DL in pass-rush win rate

YoloinOhio

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I thought on one sack that Oliver should have been given a 1/2 sack.  He beat the double team and got there just a split second after Phillips but Oliver still cleaned it up too.

I had thought he was gonna get a half there as well.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I thought on one sack that Oliver should have been given a 1/2 sack.  He beat the double team and got there just a split second after Phillips but Oliver still cleaned it up too.

Yea that was the third Phillips sack. I think he was already in Phillips' arms and moving towards the ground when Ed joined the party. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I had thought he was gonna get a half there as well.

We think alike and that's beautiful.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

Yea that was the third Phillips sack. I think he was already in Phillips' arms and moving towards the ground when Ed joined the party. 

I was at the game and live, I thought it was all Oliver and I started celebrating in the crowd.  Then it wasn't him so I sat down.

Funny part was I had been drinking and I started calling Jordan Phillips, Zach Thomas for some reason.  I have no idea why that name came out.

I was a Bills fan screaming "Great job Zach!"

• Haha (+1) 2

I won't dispute the facts. He may be winning these pass rush opportunities but he has not translated them into impact plays. We have all watched the games and I can think of only a handful of impact plays. 

What I am most impressed with though, is how he has held up in the rush defense. I was worried more about getting gashed up the middle than a lack of interior pass rush. He, Star, and Phillips have really done well at the point of attack.

If he is truly winning at this rate, then the impact plays should come. Hopefully he stays fresh and doesn't hit the rookie wall.

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Have a feeling that he will get a couple verse the Phins. Pick your poison when Oliver and Phillips are in. Oliver was the right pick and will only get better with time. 

You also gotta know that Jordan Phillips is going to go HAAM on the Phins. Dude still has a grudge against his former team, and he will be amped to match up against that putrid O-line!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I won't dispute the facts. He may be winning these pass rush opportunities but he has not translated them into impact plays. We have all watched the games and I can think of only a handful of impact plays. 

What I am most impressed with though, is how he has held up in the rush defense. I was worried more about getting gashed up the middle than a lack of interior pass rush. He, Star, and Phillips have really done well at the point of attack.

If he is truly winning at this rate, then the impact plays should come. Hopefully he stays fresh and doesn't hit the rookie wall.

I have to disagree there.  When he penetrates the interior, that makes a major impact.  It moves the QB off of his spot, they can't step into the throw and it allows other defensive players to close in on a sack or get a clean up sack.  Gives them more one on one (juan on juan if you're hispanic) match ups.  He has to be accounted for on every play.   

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 9

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I have to disagree there.  When he penetrates the interior, that makes a major impact.  It moves the QB off of his spot, they can't step into the throw and it allows other defensive players to close in on a sack or get a clean up sack.  Gives them more one on one (juan on juan if you're hispanic) match ups.  He has to be accounted for on every play.   

Every time he draws a double team, someone else has a one-on-one opportunity. THAT can have a direct impact. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1