8th on ESPN Power Ranking

foreboding

Seems about right, crazy the normally high ranked teams beneath us.

Rams, Eagles, Cowboys etc-

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27839117/week-7-nfl-power-rankings-1-32-poll-plus-every-team-biggest-weakness

Week 6 ranking: 10gn-arrow.png

Biggest weakness: Turnovers

It's a fixable problem, but the Bills' 11 turnovers are tied for fifth in the NFL -- which is an obvious ball and chain for an offense ranked fifth in average time of possession, ninth in first downs per game and 11th in yards per game. If Buffalo takes better care of the ball, it will be a dangerous team given the strength of its defense. -- Marcel Louis-Jacques

Edited by foreboding
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

9. Chiefs (4-2; No. 5): After losing to the Colts and Texans at home, the Chiefs should be very happy they’re not in the AFC South.

4 minutes ago, H2o said:

WOW   its almost as if they did the list by the teams Win Loss Record 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

9. Chiefs (4-2; No. 5): After losing to the Colts and Texans at home, the Chiefs should be very happy they’re not in the AFC South.

Noticed that as well. Kind of hard to argue with at this point. I do believe I would have us at #8 behind the Texans and Chiefs, with the Ravens coming in at #9. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Noticed that as well. Kind of hard to argue with at this point. I do believe I would have us at #8 behind the Texans and Chiefs, with the Ravens coming in at #9. 

I've said all along ...  the rankings Should Be based on the Win/Loss record with a small variation here or there.  

Chiefs ... Maybe. 

Texans ... Not so much

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I've said all along ...  the rankings Should Be based on the Win/Loss record with a small variation here or there.  

Chiefs ... Maybe. 

Texans ... Not so much

I like Bills more than both. 

1 reason - we are well rounded like a bowling ball. 

Both those teams have glaring holes on Defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

for what this ranking is really worth, why bother with any other criteria

31 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Chiefs ... Maybe. 

Texans ... Not so much

So, like, you think power rankings should just be standings basically? 

Isn't putting two 4-2 teams over a 4-1 team coming off of a bye, a small variation? 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills are 6th in CBS Sports rankings:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-7-power-rankings-49ers-are-for-real-at-no-2-chiefs-take-huge-fall-vikings-rise-into-top-10/

1. New England

2. San Francisco

3. New Orleans

4. Seattle

5. Green Bay

6. Buffalo

"They come off their bye with a relatively easy game against the Dolphins. It's time the offense got cranked up to complement the defense."

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

So, like, you think power rankings should just be standings basically? 

Isn't putting two 4-2 teams over a 4-1 team coming off of a bye, a small variation? 

umm   Yes.    IMO it should be based on the teams current record, and SOS of the current year. 

aren't you saying the same thing?

3 minutes ago, egd said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-7-power-rankings-49ers-are-for-real-at-no-2-chiefs-take-huge-fall-vikings-rise-into-top-10/

1. New England

2. San Francisco

3. New Orleans

4. Seattle

5. Green Bay

6. Buffalo

"They come off their bye with a relatively easy game against the Dolphins. It's time the offense got cranked up to complement the defense."

Pete Prisco is crossing the rubicon .....  

They come off their bye with a relatively easy game against the Dolphins. It's time the offense got cranked up to complement the defense.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

umm   Yes.    IMO it should be based on the teams current record, and SOS of the current year. 

aren't you saying the same thing?

Pete Prisco is crossing the rubicon .....  

They come off their bye with a relatively easy game against the Dolphins. It's time the offense got cranked up to complement the defense.

Sorry, I thought you were saying that Buffalo should be ahead of KC and HOU because of record. Unsure I agree with your take on power rankings. They are what they are, opinions, so I don't read into them too much. But I do think they are good for adding context where record might not. Especially before the week 10 mark, where a lot can change. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

Sorry, I thought you were saying that Buffalo should be ahead of KC and HOU because of record. Unsure I agree with your take on power rankings. They are what they are, opinions, so I don't read into them too much. But I do think they are good for adding context where record might not. Especially before the week 10 mark, where a lot can change. 

why should they be based "opinions" ?  What point does it serve?  

And I would rank Buffalo over Houston.  Watson is WAY to reckless and their D isn't as good as it was.  19th in total yards

Hell, Buffalo's D is better than KC's  28th D in yards allowed and 31st against the run.  

3 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

why should they be based "opinions" ?  What point does it serve?  

And I would rank Buffalo over Houston.  Watson is WAY to reckless and their D isn't as good as it was.  19th in total yards

Hell, Buffalo's D is better than KC's  28th D in yards allowed and 31st against the run.  

because they are power rankings. not standings.... if they just wanna list them in order of record it makes no sense to do a power ranking. at that point they could just keep the "standings" column and have no need for an opinion based power ranking. 

having an opinion based ranking poll like these rankings allows for people to add context to the situation that have to do with teams beaten, injuries, how they  played or how they won.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, egd said:

1. New England

2. San Francisco

3. New Orleans

4. Seattle

5. Green Bay

6. Buffalo

Green Bay is literal garbage, they're not even a top 15 team.

The refs gifted them the game last night, they would have lost by 2 scores+ had the idiotic refs not intervened.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

What a concept! About time

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Mango said:

exactly. we already have a ranking system based solely on records..... its call the NFL standings... 

1 minute ago, foreboding said:

Texans can ball and beat anyone.

Except the Saints w/ Brees

and the Panthers (with Kyle Allen) 

and they also squeaked by the JAGS (with Gardner Minshew II)

Both of those losses came against backup QB's with 1.25 and  and .25  years in the league. 

10th on NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001066009/article/nfl-power-rankings-week-7-49ers-eyeing-no-1-texans-surge

"I am not here to throw any cold water on the Bills and their optimistic fans (though I will, if one is on fire in the parking lot), but the NFL Research Department reports that the last two times the Bills began the season 4-1, they finished with a losing record (6-10 in 2011 and 7-9 in 2008). Consider it a gentle reminder of how much things can change from October to January, rather than a prediction of football doom for the denizens of Western New York. After all, this Buffalo team won't live and die on Fitzmagic. There are many contributors, including the venerable Frank Gore, who leads an NFL team -- a good NFL team -- in rushing in the year 2019. How about that? Gore's 333 rushing yards are the most by a player 36 or older in five games since 1950. Frank Gore probably remembers 1950. Frank Gore will live forever."

I think there is a lot of overreaction. You see crazy swings from week to week in many of these power rankings, only to have them swing back the next week.

• Haha (+1) 1