Refs this year...opinion?

RU5781

Refs have a thankless job.  The game moves so quickly now and collisions are so forceful that it becomes impossible to get every call right.  And as more and more rules are added on that rely on subjective interpretations at such speed it is no wonder there is a lot more controversy.

Personally, I would scale back on some of the rules (like the calls on hitting a QB; the one on Milano was particularly absurd), let DBs play receivers more, and finally just do away with replay altogether.  The only replays I'd allow would be for whether a first down is achieved or not or whether the ball breaks the plane on a TD play.  Otherwise accept that it is a game played and officiated by humans and that some human error is inherent.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Refs have a thankless job.  The game moves so quickly now and collisions are so forceful that it becomes impossible to get every call right.  And as more and more rules are added on that rely on subjective interpretations at such speed it is no wonder there is a lot more controversy.

Personally, I would scale back on some of the rules (like the calls on hitting a QB; the one on Milano was particularly absurd), let DBs play receivers more, and finally just do away with replay altogether.  The only replays I'd allow would be for whether a first down is achieved or not or whether the ball breaks the plane on a TD play.  Otherwise accept that it is a game played and officiated by humans and that some human error is inherent.

sounds good

not a hope of any of it happening

• Like (+1) 1

Whether it's gotten worse overall is hard to say, but I think it's undeniable that it's starting to turn fans off from watching the game when they see a nice play negated because the refs flagged someone for a ticky-tack hold that was on the other side of the field and had nothing to do with the success of the play. When the biggest penalty beneficiary in the whole NFL in Brady tweets that he's turning off the TV because there are too many penalties, you know a tipping point might be coming.

It's been easy to say that attendance has gone down the last few years because of anthem kneeling or TV technology makes it more enticing to just stay home, but can we rule out a segment of the football fandom might be getting tired of referees impacting a game and losing faith in the sport's integrity? I've seen quite a few replies in this thread saying the NFL product, which is an entertainment product at it's core and thus desirous of compelling story lines to sell their games, might be getting nudged toward them (aka "fixed") via refereeing and while I hate to give that view legitimacy, it's hard to totally dismiss as well.

1 minute ago, Gavin in Va Beach said:

Whether it's gotten worse overall is hard to say, but I think it's undeniable that it's starting to turn fans off from watching the game when they see a nice play negated because the refs flagged someone for a ticky-tack hold that was on the other side of the field and had nothing to do with the success of the play. When the biggest penalty beneficiary in the whole NFL in Brady tweets that he's turning off the TV because there are too many penalties, you know a tipping point might be coming.

It's been easy to say that attendance has gone down the last few years because of anthem kneeling or TV technology makes it more enticing to just stay home, but can we rule out a segment of the football fandom might be getting tired of referees impacting a game and losing faith in the sport's integrity? I've seen quite a few replies in this thread saying the NFL product, which is an entertainment product at it's core and thus desirous of compelling story lines to sell their games, might be getting nudged toward them (aka "fixed") via refereeing and while I hate to give that view legitimacy, it's hard to totally dismiss as well.

it's not open season to hold or chop-block or spear on players on the field just because they aren't directly in the play

you can't add another layer of interpretation to officiating as to whether the foul had no bearing on the outcome of the play

football rewards teams disciplined enough not to do bonehead things like hold an opponent far away from the mapped out play

Just now, row_33 said:

it's not open season to hold or chop-block or spear on players on the field just because they aren't directly in the play

you can't add another layer of interpretation to officiating as to whether the foul had no bearing on the outcome of the play

I'm not saying ignore egregious penalties, especially those that could injure a player, but common sense should factor into refereeing as to when a minor penalty should be called, and there should definitely be more of an effort made to get penalties right when they make a major impact on the outcome of a game, like a phantom hands to the face penalty that helps the other team convert on 3rd and long. 

No different than any previous year. Ya know how you know? Because EVERY team is bitching. Listening to SiriusXM NFL, fans from all teams are bitching about refs. That means it’s not slanted toward any one team. They universally suck.

Thats a good thing. ?

It's the same as it has been for years.  People use to complain about them on Bills forums all the time only to get ridiculed that we were "crying about refs."  The difference now is that commentators are speaking up more, media is speaking up more, and other fans are speaking up more. Hell, even players are now speaking up more. The bad calls/no calls to me is the same crap we have been seeing around the league for years.  Just more publicity now.

The new rule allowing challenges on pass interference has been made into a travesty. Some of the calls that aren't reversed are downright ridiculous.

That said, there will always be mistakes, and that's why they have the replay system. Although I agree with others, they should do away with the challenges and just have a full time ref watch and stop whenever it's necessary like college does. If it's 5 times a game or one time a game, so be it. 

Then again, it doesn't help when a lineman blocks a guy for 5-6 seconds on a play, but the network keeps showing the same 1-2 second clip.

htf.jpg

On 10/16/2019 at 10:39 AM, Gavin in Va Beach said:

I'm not saying ignore egregious penalties, especially those that could injure a player, but common sense should factor into refereeing as to when a minor penalty should be called, and there should definitely be more of an effort made to get penalties right when they make a major impact on the outcome of a game, like a phantom hands to the face penalty that helps the other team convert on 3rd and long. 

nope, they can't add even more judgment calls on top of it

i believe that ticking fans off is as important as gambling to the sustaining of the NFL