Refs this year...opinion?

RU5781

And coaches’ challenges has finally hit the NBA.   Their system sounds idiotic.  If a head coach wants to have a call/play reviewed, he must immediately call a timeout, without being able to review a replay first. That is just dumb. They only get one challenge per game.

Now, you have the NHL giving a team a 2 minute minor if the call is not overturned.  That’s ridiculous and too harsh.  There will likely be less challenges though.

The MLB system takes too long and still doesn’t always get it right.

Replays for all of the 4 major sports can kill the momentum of a team, regardless of the decision.  I think it’s wise to use technology to get the calls right, but all of these systems are flawed and it seems impossible for that to happen.

Back to the NFL, they don’t seem to think through some of these rule changes. Seemingly smart coaches like Sean Payton are on the competition committee, but they tend to make decisions that don’t improve the product from a fan’s perspective.

3 hours ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

You are either a troll or an idiot

I guess I'm an idiot then.  I may have been a little hyperbolic, I don't know if the officiating is any better this year, but I strongly feel that improvements in replay, video recording, and rule changes have made officiating a lot more consistent (and fair) than what it was in the past.  To me it seems like the officiating in every sport has improved markedly and continues to do so.

20 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

I guess I'm an idiot then.  I may have been a little hyperbolic, I don't know if the officiating is any better this year, but I strongly feel that improvements in replay, video recording, and rule changes have made officiating a lot more consistent (and fair) than what it was in the past.  To me it seems like the officiating in every sport has improved markedly and continues to do so.

The officiating is historically bad this year.  I didn't mean to come off like an ass.  I am surprised someone doesn't think it has been

1 hour ago, Steve Billieve said:

I guess I'm just not getting mad with all the winning.  Haven't really noticed anything obvious in the bills games.

Thankfully the Bills have yet to be totally jobbed. You know it's coming though. Week 16 most likely.

Watching for 40 years now. I think with so many games every week compared to when I started watching, the crews have been diluted in quality. In addition with HD and more camera angles we can see the plays far better than ever before. The bottom line is that the speed of the game has gone so far up that these officials just cannot keep up. Last nights game was filled with calls that were obviously guesses by the refs. The 2 illegal hands to the face calls looked at regular speed like they might be correct but on slow mo they were obviously wrong. Add to this the ticky tack penalties that have nothing to do with the play and the phantom calls where you cant see any infraction whatsoever and you have the new rock bottom of officiating.

They all suck ass. It's amazing how after the Saints/Rams game last year, they have somehow gotten worse. Those two phantom hands to the face penalties last night were absolutely brutal.

They all suck ass. It's amazing how after the Saints/Rams game last year, they have somehow gotten worse. Those two phantom hands to the face penalties last night were absolutely brutal.

They have been far too active for their own good...refs are supposed to be seen not heard. Nobody goes to a game wishing they see penalties on 5 straight plays, half of which are very questionable.

Edited by matter2003

9 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think the refs are trying to do their job with both hands tied behind their back and blindfolded.  There are so many rules, many of them overly complex by design, that no mortal can competently do the job 100% of the time in such a fast paced game.  For some of these calls, guys sitting at a desk with an array of televisions and equipment have to look at in slow motion 10 times to come to a decision.  

The only way to a better officiated game is less rules so they can focus on getting what's important (in the opinion of the NFL) right.  

at this point id say they are doing it to themselves. every rule does not have to be nitpicked enforced. did a guy touch a wide reciever or alter his route? did a guy intentionally lead with his helmet or did two guys accidently collide making football moves? its like common sense it out the window to make some absurd statement or somthing.

plenty of laws in this world and if cops wanna be pricks we would all be in court for 1 mile over the limit or jaywalking ect. luckly they seem to only care about the major ones where people are actively and intentionally breaking the law. i think refs should have the same standard.

I was raised to believe that when my team lost it was because we weren't the better team, and instead of pissing and moaning about the refs (for the rest of our life) to think about what improvements could be made to be better next game

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

I was raised to believe that when my team lost it was because we weren't the better team, and instead of pissing and moaning about the refs (for the rest of our life) to think about what improvements could be made to be better next game

i don't really see that. how do you prepare or become better when there are bad calls at this rate? people act like winning at the highest level is easy and you can just do better so bad calls effect it less. there is def pissing and moaning and at the end of the day it " might " be just human error. but if the ref calls something he thinks is a penalty...thats the problem! dont call it if its not clear. dont take over the game with 50/50 calls. let them play unless its clear. they cant help themselves this year. they are throwing flags at a amazing pace for minor issues that have no argument. fans pundits and announcers are all seeing this crap clear as day.

if you left for work and your tires got slashed you should have left 2 hours early..you should be fired. do better. next week windows smashed and battery stolen well should have left 3 hours early. point is, you can't predict bad officials so its not like there is a thing you can do but hope they do there job properly. they arent. bad officiating isn't a isolated incident this year, 1 missed call here and there. its a ton of games and calls! saying ah well we should have been better is a odd way to look at somthing you had no control over in a ultra competitive competion. 

the improvement that should be the focus for the next game should be the subject of the officials this year.