Refs this year...opinion?

RU5781

The game has been slowly evolving over time until now, when it has reached critical mass.

The entire approach to the game is overly officious, detail oriented, and the rules system is excessively complex.

It's a football game.  It should not be approached the same as a legal proceeding.

How to fix it?  First, immediately eliminate all "instant replay" and review processes from the game.  Go back to the old days.

Then weed out the handful of penalties that cause most of the trouble and re-write the rules so that they are much simpler, clear, and easier to enforce in an objective manner, on the field.

Edited by Nextmanup

5 minutes ago, Direhard Fan said:

The NFL should be ashamed.  I'm really surprised the players, a coach or fan haven't clocked a ref right on the field for their terrible job performance.  Players get job performance reports for every game and too many of these plays effect the out come of a game and their evaluation.   Really sad.  

They are and they feel really bad about it.

See.

tenor.gif

Edited by The Wiz
  • Like (+1) 1

They are supposedly meeting today with the head of officiating.  I would imagine a significant decrease in calls this week.  If I'm Frazier, I tell the defensive back to mull the Dolphin WR's.  Don't think it will matter though

55 minutes ago, Steve Billieve said:

Fine. I'll say it.  I love the officiating.  Best. Year. EVER.  Thanks to replay we get the right call almost all the time. And almost all egregious mistakes have been removed from the game.  Remember when you couldn't even trust the officials to get field goals and xtra points right?

You are either a troll or an idiot

1 hour ago, Just Joshin' said:

This is the problem.  It is hard to tell blatant incompetence from being paid off.  The bad calls tarnish the game and its outcomes.  If the NFL does not address, the fans will lose interest if they believe it is rigged.

Pretty crappy pay off! $20 lmao... I see what you mean, IMO they are not rigging the games I think it’s a few other reasons like:

1. Fan Boys — let’s face it some of them are fans and ref their favorite team thus less flags..

2. Blatant Incompetence — some are just god awful bad! This is true in every profession.. just so obvious with refs..

3. Poor Training —- as someone mentioned this is a part time job for them and most I bet do not know a majority of the rule book. 

All three are correctable especially the last two by full time refs who are taught all new rules in the off season as well as reinforcing old rules.

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

It's getting to the point where I'm close to believing that games are fixed.  That is sad.

The 2006 SB had me REALLY contemplating this. Ben did not score on his attempted dive into the endzone, but even after review they called it a TD. Numerous suspect flags were thrown against Seattle, especially when they had made a positive gain of some kind. Matt Hasselbeck throws an INT, runs after the guy who picked him off, throws his body in front of his legs in an attempt to tackle him, and gets called for a "Chop Block"? I remember saying, "What the :censored: kind of call is that?" How can a guy trying to make a tackle be committing a chop block? It just so happened to be Jerome Bettis' final game as well. It all seems pretty shady to me until this day. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Pretty crappy pay off! $20 lmao... I see what you mean, IMO they are not rigging the games I think it’s a few other reasons like:

1. Fan Boys — let’s face it some of them are fans and ref their favorite team thus less flags..

2. Blatant Incompetence — some are just god awful bad! This is true in every profession.. just so obvious with refs..

3. Poor Training —- as someone mentioned this is a part time job for them and most I bet do not know a majority of the rule book. 

All three are correctable especially the last two by full time refs who are taught all new rules in the off season as well as reinforcing old rules.

I mean this in the nicest way possible, really ..... you have no right to weigh in on this subject.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I want to say they're no worse than they've ever been.  But subjectively, I have a hard time believing that.

I think it might be more accurate to say that officiating is worse than it's ever been, in that it's not just the people but the entire system that's thoroughly cockeyed.  How much can you pin on "the refs" when they're bound to an overly-nitpicky rule book ("We cant' define 'catch,' so lets compound the problem by ***** up the definition of 'pass interception!'") and hide-bound procedures that are arbitrarily applied?   

5 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I forget...have I ever claimed to like you in the past?

If not, then ***** off and die like any good Patriots fan.

If so, then ***** of and die like any good Patriots fan, pretty please with sugar on top.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

I want to say they're no worse than they've ever been.  But subjectively, I have a hard time believing that.

I think it might be more accurate to say that officiating is worse than it's ever been, in that it's not just the people but the entire system that's thoroughly cockeyed.  How much can you pin on "the refs" when they're bound to an overly-nitpicky rule book ("We cant' define 'catch,' so lets compound the problem by ***** up the definition of 'pass interception!'") and hide-bound procedures that are arbitrarily applied?   

I forget...have I ever claimed to like you in the past?

If not, then ***** off and die like any good Patriots fan.

If so, then ***** of and die like any good Patriots fan, pretty please with sugar on top.

This is the crux of the problem, overly technical......an NFL rules monger would say......rule 63 subsection 35 section A paragraph 3 says...if the player......blah blah blah...then its not this....for further clarification refer to appendix five C...new rule this year...you didn't know?

Just now, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

This is the crux of the problem, overly technical......an NFL rules monger would say......rule 63 subsection 35 section A paragraph 3 says...if the player......blah blah blah...then its not this....for further clarification refer to appendix five C...new rule this year...you didn't know?

When you need a play-by-play person in the booth to explain the refs, you've done gone screwed up your sport.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Refs have always made crappy calls. It's unfortunate that these calls affect the outcome of games and even seasons for some. Detroit just went from 1st to worst in the NFCN, after last nights debacle. They need to simplify the refereeing. Only make calls that are blatant and that affect the play. The game would be 10 x better. Easily. Nothing worse than phantom holding calls that erase a big play. Especially if the phantom hold is away from the play. Oh and start fining refs for mistakes. Bigger the screw up, bigger the fine. Last night, the ref should have been fined the maximum amount. 

7 minutes ago, NC Book said:

Refs have always made crappy calls. It's unfortunate that these calls affect the outcome of games and even seasons for some. Detroit just went from 1st to worst in the NFCN, after last nights debacle. They need to simplify the refereeing. Only make calls that are blatant and that affect the play. The game would be 10 x better. Easily. Nothing worse than phantom holding calls that erase a big play. Especially if the phantom hold is away from the play. Oh and start fining refs for mistakes. Bigger the screw up, bigger the fine. Last night, the ref should have been fined the maximum amount. 

fans are biased and rabid and want all calls made, especially the imaginary penalties against their team

they see them on every single play in the NFL

Edited by row_33

5 hours ago, TigerJ said:

It sure seems as if the bad officiating of the past has become the terrible officiating of the present.  I think the worst one of all (All Riveron) is in charge of the whole bunch.

Every broadcast now includes a former ref to comment on calls under review, etc.  Those guys are doing a good job of analyzing the plays but it seems half the time, the decision from NY is the opposite from them, including plays where it is obvious to us viewers what the decision should be.

3 minutes ago, ColeB said:

Every broadcast now includes a former ref to comment on calls under review, etc.  Those guys are doing a good job of analyzing the plays but it seems half the time, the decision from NY is the opposite from them, including plays where it is obvious to us viewers what the decision should be.

yes, NY just does whatever the bleep it wants to with it

i have learned for decades now that plays i thought were 100% obvious (with no interest or $$ riding on the outcome) were apparently so wrong that they could be overturned

it's a total crock, i usually fast forward now to the next play, it can only get you upset following the narrative of a replay....

I am sure I am in the minority but I'll throw this out there anyway.   

I get why people are upset but I also think people forget how bad it used to be before replay.   I think what has changed more than anything are more rules and a million times more scrutiny with frame by frame analysis, social media gifs, 24/7 NFL networks, non stop analysis of the bad calls....that is what is more different than the actual performance of the refs which has always been and always will be inconsistent and subjective.   To some extent you get some calls you lose others, that has and always will be part of the NFL, NHL and every other sport.   

The refs cant see everything in real time, I think most people can understand that,so use technology to get it right if you can.Before replay, there were obvious called scoring plays that today would be reversed, obvious called turnovers that today would be reversed, obvious called catches that today would be reversed, etc.   My point is there are aspects of review they are doing well.

Now this stupid idea to carve out pass interference as reviewable for called AND NON-called penalties is just terrible to watch it play out.   I really think the refs are just doing "silent protest" of sorts and not reversing any of these.  Not sure why they are doing it when some of these are so obvious other than reviewing  non called penalties opens up a pandora's box I don't think we really want to open.   Today its PI, tomorrow its holding, hands to the face, helmet to helmet contact and other things that might happen on every play but lets just wait for a big play by the opponent and then find a reason to reverse it.   

Personally, I would like to see reviews for called penalties to get rid of obvious calls they got wrong but to go to replay to throw a flag is a terrible idea in my opinion.

Edited by mattynh
  • Like (+1) 1