Refs this year...opinion?

RU5781

It's just getting to be over the top.  You're trained now to almost expect a flag on every incomplete pass.  I think I was watching a game on Sunday where there were calls on 6 consecutive plays.  Even dunderheads like Troy Aikman notice that stuff.

And it's everything.  I get that they're trying to make the game safer, but I miss the days of when they'd just let guys play.  So much that guys have to watch for (especially on defense) that it doesn't seem like a natural football game any more, just some highly regulated, manufactured, football-like substance

• Haha (+1) 1

Every player, coach and administer are held accountable for how they perform their jobs while the refs, who can completely affect the outcome of a game, are allowed to do whatever they please. It’s ruining the game. Also, them collectively deciding they’re not overturning PI challenges is the best indicator that they’re running the show. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, mushypeaches said:

It's just getting to be over the top.  You're trained now to almost expect a flag on every incomplete pass.  I think I was watching a game on Sunday where there were calls on 6 consecutive plays.  Even dunderheads like Troy Aikman notice that stuff.

And it's everything.  I get that they're trying to make the game safer, but I miss the days of when they'd just let guys play.  So much that guys have to watch for (especially on defense) that it doesn't seem like a natural football game any more, just some highly regulated, manufactured, football-like substance

This...every time there is an incompletion, I hold my breath. 

I just wonder why it's worse this year? What has changed to make it appear to be so much worse?

13 minutes ago, RU5781 said:

Is it just me, or has it been worse than ever before? I’m not even counting the fact that they pretty much refuse to overturn any PI calls/non-calls. 

7EA95326-7344-4C83-ABED-B8A7F812E454.jpeg

THey throw the flag too quickly. Last night was absurd. Flowers and the Lions have every right to be super pissed. Those were big calls that gave the Pack life.

• Like (+1) 3

I think the refs are trying to do their job with both hands tied behind their back and blindfolded.  There are so many rules, many of them overly complex by design, that no mortal can competently do the job 100% of the time in such a fast paced game.  For some of these calls, guys sitting at a desk with an array of televisions and equipment have to look at in slow motion 10 times to come to a decision.  

The only way to a better officiated game is less rules so they can focus on getting what's important (in the opinion of the NFL) right.  

• Like (+1) 1

They're no worse than they've ever been. It's just that technology improvements keep exposing all of their mistakes. The latest improvement shows various camera angles, synced in time to verify ball placement. Seriously, the human eye just cannot pick all that up in real time. They do the beat they can, except in NE games where Kraft pays them off, and frankly, it's a shame that they are exposed so often by the high tech views.

If there is to be improvement, then there needs to be robotic/automated officiating. I'm sure that'll come some day. In the meantime, we have to live with what we have.

4 minutes ago, TigerJ said:

I think the worst one of all (All Riveron) is in charge of the whole bunch.

The owners want it that way and Riveron dances to their drum.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, RU5781 said:

This...every time there is an incompletion, I hold my breath. 

I just wonder why it's worse this year? What has changed to make it appear to be so much worse?

The fact that now it can be reviewed and they still screw it up. 

They're not actually blowing the calls on the field any worse, IMO. Just the fact that they blow the replay too, makes it worse.

• Like (+1) 2

the refs do not have access to slow motion and zoomed in replays during the game.

If you do not see the slow motion zoomed in replay, would you even notice the bad calls in real time?

Solution - get rid of slow motion replay on plays that are not reviewable, only show slow motion plays on TV on reviweable plays (scoring, turnovers, catches, OPI/DPI) etc.

Level playing field for the fans and the refs, seems simple to me

Edited by Mrbojanglezs

Look at the teams that benefit from these calls. With more camera angles, talk shows, internet, exposure, etc. it's just becoming more obvious that refs are told to influence the game to effect the game so the outcome is in line with what will benefit the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Just so happened to be the cowboys being the beneficiary of 6 straight calls against the jets as they’re driving at the end of the game to try and tie.  It was hilarious.  

yet, some folks think that the bad calls are all just human error and every team gets the same amount of bad calls against them.  

This is blatantly untrue.  There were 3 straight calls against the NYJs on the drive - all of them correct.  Then there were 2 straight calls against Dallas, both of which were correct.  That put Dallas in a 1st and 27 and then Jamal Adams was overly aggressive and got a call against him.  

The calls were not bad calls and for the most part they were not even questionable.  I am not sure what the Refs are supposed to do - the Jets were all over the receiver long before the ball arrived.  Are they supposed to ignore it because they have flagged the other team already a couple of times.

I get it there are some very questionable calls, but try an suggest it was inappropriate to flag the Jets on that drive or they were trying to help the Cowboys - ignores logic and the fact that 2 of the calls went against Dallas.

17 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

They've been great.  Just ask the Pats and Packers.

Lmao they haven’t been great! They have been rather awful! I mean awful like inconsistent.. if they had some sort of consistency coaches could go “ok they always call X let’s coach them up make sure they don’t do it”  same goes for consistently not calling something like say “illegal contact” on a CB.  Which was the case back in the early 2000.  That’s why Indy complained to the committee to get it unforced more moving forward. (No I don’t consider it cheating by a HC knowing how the refs call a game and using it to his advantage. Their is nothing stopping the other coach from doing the same thing.) 

• Like (+1) 1