Updated - RayRay Cut by the Panthers *Re-signed by Bills

Virgil

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The practice squad is depth, usually not the future.   You need depth because the injuries come unexpectedly and often.  At this point in the season, adding a guy to the practice squad who knows the system is valuable.  Much better to get him than a guy off the street who knows nothing about how the Bills work.  

I think it can be both depending.
It can truly be for development.

usually longer term of course.

Hard to hide the gems though

3 hours ago, MJS said:

It's the practice squad. What are you expecting?

More.

Always expect more.

But i wonder if they can fix his issues with getting and the keeping balls in his hands ?

I remain hopeful Bills can make lemonade here, cuz i like lemonade.

2 hours ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Why would the Public Relations Department sign him?

His bright smile. and positive attitude  

obviously

1 hour ago, Saint Doug said:

Some great baseball prospects just can’t hit a MLB curveball. I guess he couldn’t figure out how to catch a major league punt. 

so what CAN he do well ?

3 hours ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think it can be both depending.
It can truly be for development.

usually longer term of course.

Hard to hide the gems though

Uh, that's why I said "usually" not about the future.  Yes, it can be for development.   But it's mostly about depth.

I don’t know what they see in this guy. I get it,

he’s just filling a roster spot, but I’m not sure he can contribute anything positive. We got rid of Zay, the McBeane regime (which I do like) always seems to need at least one guy who’s capable of singlehandedly losing a game in limited action. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Uh, that's why I said "usually" not about the future.  Yes, it can be for development.   But it's mostly about depth.

forgive my lack of attention to detail ?

so

developmental depth ?

can play in a pinch, to serviceable ,to untapped potential (raw) could be a gem...

: )

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

forgive my lack of attention to detail ?

so

developmental depth ?

can play in a pinch, to serviceable ,to untapped potential (raw) could be a gem...

: )

Yeah, I suppose, but I tend to think with each guy it's more about one or the other, not a combination of both.    So, to take out favorite example, Duke Williams was on the practice squad for development.   They clearly liked him, but they didn't think he was ready.   Similarly Foster last season.

But Ray Ray is depth.  They don't have any great expectations that he will develop into a starter. They've seen him long enough to have a good sense of his upside.   He could develop, of course, but that isn't why they signed him.  They want receiver depth, and he gives to the Bills better than that guy they signed a couple of weeks ago, because Ray Ray has time in the system.  If the Bills need help at receiver next week, Ray Ray will know what he's supposed to do.   

I think the emphasis probably changes over the course of the season.   After the roster gets down to 53, you probably pick practice squad based on the guys who look like they can fill in if called up (depth) and who also have potential (development).   At this point in the season, unless some guy becomes a free agent who you've always wanted on your team, I think the guys you pick up are for depth.   You're not going to start developing guys in the middle of the season - all you care about is teaching them enough stuff so that if you need to call them up, they will know what they're doing.  And that's why Ray Ray was a no brainer over the guy they signed then released.  

Lots of good banter. Remember, he’s not on our team. He’s on the Practice Squad. And which phenom did he replace? Veasley? The only argument  you can have is if some fantastic pkayer is out there unsigned, who we passed up on for RayRay instead. There’s not. BB plays with the PS daily, like a fidget spinner. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t know what they see in this guy. I get it,

he’s just filling a roster spot, but I’m not sure he can contribute anything positive. We got rid of Zay, the McBeane regime (which I do like) always seems to need at least one guy who’s capable of singlehandedly losing a game in limited action. 

Just to clarify he is on PS.  Depth if Beasley or McKenzie get hurt.