Would you be satisfied with Stafford's career for Josh?

PUNT750

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

How, exactly, does a QB pad their stats? 

Do you think that he purposefully falls behind so he has to throw late?

Is he responsible for the (lack of) running game for various seasons?

Is he responsible for the defense?

Is he responsible for ST lapses?

In other words, if you do know people in Detroit, and they do refer to him in that way then they are idiots. 

QBs can easily pad stats in garbage time .   And Stafford has had a few of those in his career for sure.

Anyway,  I didn't make up "Stat Padford" . That name has existed quite a while  as evidenced by articles such as this:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rob-parker-matthew-stafford-all-about-stats-not-lions-wins/

2 hours ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Calvin Johnson wasn't bad! Just sayin. They lacked a running game is the biggest issue.

I'd love to have Kenny Golladay on this Bills team.  The kid's a stud and he has a great attitude that would fit the Bill's culture.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

How long do you expect Josh to get in order to work out his "Rawness" ?

At this point in his career, EJ Manuel was already finished as the Bill's starting QB.

IMO we should know who Josh is at the end of this season.  It's not going to change dramatically from that.

No idea how long it will take.  Right now i just want progress.

Lets not always fall back on the EJ Comparison or anyone in the past.   EJ  didnt progress in year 2,  he actually regressed, Allen has, imo progressed.

And I think with a hard worker with a good attitude he can continue to progress for several years.

J Allen is a great teammate, hard worker nice guy, stays out of trouble and the physical abilities are obvious.  I can see him as a journeyman for years in the NFL if he wants.  Who knows maybe 8 years from now on his third time the lights goes on and he starts to light it up.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

True enough, but superficial.  If something is a priority, teams prioritize it.

Example: Bills under Rex/Roman.  By damn, they were gonna have a run game.  In case an aging FredEx and draft choice Karlos Williams didn't do it for them, they signed Boobie Dixon and Mike Gilleslee, then traded for LeSean Mccoy.

2nd Example: this year's Bills.  Improving the OL was a big priority.  In addition to drafting an OLman high in the 2nd, look at the pile o' FA we brought in.

Maybe the Lions did all that, I don't follow them enough to know.  But when a team stays bad in one area so consistently for so long, it usually implies something systematic beyond bad luck on draft day (or even bad draft e v a l).

Your chronology is a bit off on the Bills. They signed Boobie before Marrone's last season. Then they traded for Shady early in Rex's first pre-season. Then they drafted Williams. Then they released Fred at the end of camp and then they signed Gillislee mid season. The Lions have certainly thrown resources at running back. They have just missed on evaluations. With Oline they have spent plenty of draft capital on guys... Reiff, Decker, Tomlinson they were all first rounders. Not sure why that has never quite worked for them. But I don't put it on Matt Stafford. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Your chronology is a bit off on the Bills. They signed Boobie before Marrone's last season. Then they traded for Shady early in Rex's first pre-season. Then they drafted Williams. Then they released Fred at the end of camp and then they signed Gillislee mid season. The Lions have certainly thrown resources at running back. They have just missed on evaluations. With Oline they have spent plenty of draft capital on guys... Reiff, Decker, Tomlinson they were all first rounders. Not sure why that has never quite worked for them. But I don't put it on Matt Stafford. 

I accept your correction.  But the point stands: if something is important to a team, and you miss your evaluation, you move on and keep bringing guys in until you hit.  If the team does not, then either it's not that important to them, or the organization is not sufficiently success-minded.

Certainly talent evaluation is not on Matt Stafford, but I personally haven't watched the Lions and Stafford enough to know if all of those guys were true whiffs or just poorly developed and used.

2 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Lets not always fall back on the EJ Comparison or anyone in the past.   EJ  didnt progress in year 2,  he actually regressed, Allen has, imo progressed.

And I think with a hard worker with a good attitude he can continue to progress for several years.

J Allen is a great teammate, hard worker nice guy, stays out of trouble and the physical abilities are obvious.  I can see him as a journeyman for years in the NFL if he wants.  Who knows maybe 8 years from now on his third time the lights goes on and he starts to light it up.

I certainly hope he is not the starting QB for the Buffalo Bills when/if that light goes on in year nine of his career.

The Bills need to figure out who he is by the end of this season and move forward accordingly.

If he is not good enough, we need to be aggressively pursuing the guy who will be good enough.   

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I certainly hope he is not the starting QB for the Buffalo Bills when/if that light goes on in year nine of his career.

The Bills need to figure out who he is by the end of this season and move forward accordingly.

If he is not good enough, we need to be aggressively pursuing the guy who will be good enough.   

I agree, if the light doesnt go on by the end of his rookie contract i think he is gone, that is why i wrote on his third team.

I am going to disagree with you time frame, look the Bucs and Titans have FINALLY figured out they will move on from Winston and MAriotta, i can see something like that unfolding here, is it idea, certainly not.

And both Winston and Mariota will attach to other NFL teams, if they want to as backups.

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Minus yards passing, EJ had better numbers than Allen in his second year.  But as I thought with EJ, it would be stupid to bench any young qb.  I also believe Allen plays the way I wish EJ did. 

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Minus yards passing, EJ had better numbers than Allen in his second year.  But as I thought with EJ, it would be stupid to bench any young qb.  I also believe Allen plays the way I wish EJ did. 

The point was did EJ progress and is J Allen making progress, i think JA is.  I dont think EJ progressed from year 1 to 2.

1 minute ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

The point was did EJ progress and is J Allen making progress, i think JA is.  I dont think EJ progressed from year 1 to 2.

He has 6 tds and 3 ints, was 2-2, and got pulled.  He never really got a chance to grow.  

But I think Allen should be the better qb long term.

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He has 6 tds and 3 ints, was 2-2, and got pulled.  He never really got a chance to grow.  

His fainl game in the 2-2 season,  I was in Reliant stadium watching in almost slow motion the EJ to JJ Watt 80 yd pick six, at that point, with that one play I "knew" EJ was nowhere near ready.  Maybe, if he stuck around for 8 more years and some point he could have but I doubt it. 

17 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Easiest answer to this question is has Stafford won a Super Bowl? Because the answer to that question is the same.

I don't totally understand this question because by asking if we want Stafford's career to a tee we're basically asking if we wish we were Lions fans the past 10 years. By that definition I don't really want Calvin Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinson, Barry Sanders, or Dan Marino's career.

Anyways I would love Stafford's career. I'd love Marino's career because.. they'd both have probably won chips landing on 10 other franchises. Victims of circumstance. Both quarterbacks could have us Superbowl bound right now.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You really thought EJ deserved more of a chance to grow? I don't think I've ever heard that from anyone who thought that before. I mean without using TDs and Ints and so on, If I remember correctly it was pretty obvious that he was as good or bad as he was going to be and getting worse.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

Honestly Drew Brees is probably the only quarterback I can think of recently who was as close as you can get to winning a SB singlehandedly as a QB. That roster was one of the weakest I remember. I"m sure some of Brady's deserve credit but screw him. System QB.

The other QBs all had absolutely stacked rosters.. Aaron Rodgers and Brett Favre only ever sniffed a SB when the stars aligned. Big Ben, Russell Wilson, early on were game managers. Kurt Warner had HOFers all over the offensive side. Stat Padford had none of that ish.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P