Would you be satisfied with Stafford's career for Josh?

PUNT750

2 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

To me it isn’t the topic - it is the OP dropping the thread and then disappearing.

If you ( @GunnerBill) started the thread - gave your opinions and then discussed it back and forth - the thread has meaning to you.  This poster in his last 5 posts - has started at least 3 threads and never once followed up or spoke again on it. 

Yea, I get that. I'm just saying I don't think this one as a topic in and of itself is a pointless discussion. 

40.000 yards = 10 years * 250ypg.   That's impressive for Josh with best series 8 games * 200 yards.

But I'd satisfied with 1 Super Bowl win rather than 40.000 yards.

When we speak about careers of   great Qbs, I know how many rings have Brady, Brees, Rotlisberger, Rodgers. And I don't know how many yards they have. 

Although I respect Stafford, Rivers, Ryan. Very good Qbs but without a ring their greatness is in doubt.

Interesting question.  I think Stafford is good but there’s a ceiling there.  Allen is going to have a hard time reaching MS’s numbers but he could have more Ws.  

The problem with a guy like MS is you are going to pay him a ton money but he isn’t the guy to significantly affect winning consistently.  So while I’d love to have a franchise guy, MS is kinda the dividing line between elite and good.  But I’d sign up for Allen being MS good right now.

3 hours ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I'd take Stafford-level play. Can't put the Lions W-L record solely on his shoulders. If we had Stafford with the rest of our offense and this defense, then we would be squarely in the Super Bowl conversation. 

But part of the problem is his contract limits them.

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

There is. But they don't know what they have until it is gone. Put Tyrod Taylor or Ryan Tannehill or anyone of that level on that offense the past 6 years and they would have been picking in the top 6 or 7 every single year. 

Thats fair.   But there seems to be a good chance that the Titans are going to go with Tannehill by this afternoon ?

11 hours ago, MJS said:

Stafford and Dalton are in the same category for me. Stats monsters who aren't winners.

I'd rather have a winner. Allen might have a lot of flaws, but he's a winner. When the chips are down he gets the job done.

BINGO!!! We have a winner here folks. Hit the nail on the head. Allen for sure has his flaws and as his game progresses he and the OC will be able to mitigate those in how they game plan for him. It will just take some time. What Allen has going for his is.... He's a Winner! When his team is down he lays it all out on the line to get it done, and I think that is why he is so loved and respected by his teammates and his coaches. He doesn't ask anything of anyone that he doesn't already expect from himself. And this i think is what is different about this team vs any other of our previous teams since JK retired. 

To me rating QBs deserves a great deal of attention to situational awareness. Making plays on third/fourth down, Red zone, end of the half, and especially the fourth quarter. We've all seen the garbage time, prevent defense stats that look great in a box score. If you actually watch the game you go back and see a stinker performance got them in that position to start with.

I know W/L record has a huge team component to it, but if you really look at it, the greatest QBs impacted games and have won a lot of them.

I can't think of a position in sports that has any more to do with winning, giving somewhat adequate resources than QB....perhaps Goalies in Hockey. But, they can only keep the team in the game, eventually you need some offense to win.

For me, Stafford is a good QB, I want Allen to be great.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

16 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

For me, Stafford is a good QB, I want Allen to be great.

The same. But would I be satisfied with good for 10 years? Yes I suppose I would be satisfied. Especially if the Bills can keep a defense intact because that combination would make us contenders. 

Stafford has been surrounded by horrendous talent his entire career.  Put him on a good team and I would love to see what he could do. 

He is not, nor has ever been, the problem for the Lions. 

If Allen can put up even close to his passing numbers, we are in for a wild 10+ years because I don't see Beane ever managing our talent on this roster so poorly as what Stafford has had to deal with.

• Like (+1) 4

12 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Over 11 seasons Matt Stafford  has passed for over 40,000+ yards with a completion percentage at 62.4%.  He's led the Lions to 4 winning seasons and 3 play-off appearances. 

If Josh Allen has similar stats in his career as a Buffalo Bill  what would your expectations be for the team??

I'm a little confused by this thread.  Are you asking whether Stafford's career numbers are great for a QB and we should be happy if Allen achieves them?

Or are you asking whether the Lions performance during Stafford's career is satisfactory and we should be happy if the Bills achieve them with Allen?

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

This one is a sensible question though in fairness. The same question had struck me watching that games from last night. I will shut up now and let you enforce the rules. ☺️

Most 4th Quarter comebacks in the league since he was drafted. Top 10 all time. Not clutch? Hmmmm. The lack of playoff appearances are on his team. But if what you mean is you want Josh to be one of the very rare breed who can overcome a poor team around him then I absolutely agree that should be what we hope for. 

Comebacks in meaningless games vs comebacks when it matters.    I'm a georgia fan and I saw it while he was in college too.  

1 game...1 drive to make the playoffs...I take allen.

15 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

Stafford has been surrounded by horrendous talent his entire career.  Put him on a good team and I would love to see what he could do. 

He is not, nor has ever been, the problem for the Lions. 

If Allen can put up even close to his passing numbers, we are in for a wild 10+ years because I don't see Beane ever managing our talent on this roster so poorly as what Stafford has had to deal with.

Calvin Johnson wasn't bad! Just sayin. They lacked a running game is the biggest issue.

55 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Interesting question.  I think Stafford is good but there’s a ceiling there.  Allen is going to have a hard time reaching MS’s numbers but he could have more Ws.  

The problem with a guy like MS is you are going to pay him a ton money but he isn’t the guy to significantly affect winning consistently.  So while I’d love to have a franchise guy, MS is kinda the dividing line between elite and good.  But I’d sign up for Allen being MS good right now.

But part of the problem is his contract limits them.

I want the “problem” of having to pay a top QB.

I've never seen Stafford as anything more than an accumulator.  You trot him out there for 16 games/year and the stat sheet shows some decent numbers but you're never thinking the guy is a winner or that he really elevates the play of the team as a whole.  Nor are you scared to face him as an opponent.

To me, he's the football equivalent of a guy like Harold Baines.  Never a top player in the league, but hangs around long enough to hit some numbers.  And don't get me started about Baines being in the HOF...

16 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Calvin Johnson wasn't bad! Just sayin. They lacked a running game is the biggest issue.

Of course Calvin was amazing.  I'm actually more referring to Oline and Defense.  Putting up stats in the passing game was never an issue.  Winning games is. 

28 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I want the “problem” of having to pay a top QB.

Yeah but the issue is if they aren’t truly elite, you completely handcuff your team for years.  I want Allen to show he’s either the guy or clearly isn’t because it sucks to be stuck in the middle.