Would you be satisfied with Stafford's career for Josh?

PUNT750

I found myself asking that same question watching the MNF on the train this morning. The fact is that Matt Stafford has not been the problem on the Lions in any of his seasons there. In fact there have been years where the only good thing on the Lions has been Matt Stafford. But I still put him in the category of the guy who could win when you put the right pieces around him. My ideal scenario for Allen is that he ends up in that more transcendent category where he makes all the guys around him better. Those guys are few and far between - I acknowledge that - but if you have one you are going to be a Superbowl contender most years. 

A Matt Stafford career would not be a disappointment though. Josh and Stafford have some similarities: they were low completion % guys in college; they throw off bad platforms more often than you'd consider ideal; they are both prone to a bit of hero ball; they both seem to play their best in the 4th Quarter when the game is on the line (I believe Stafford has the most 4th Qrtr comeback wins of any QB since he entered the league and is in the top 10 all time).

Stafford's record against teams with a winning record would be a worry and something you would want Josh to be better at but again I don't think that record is on Stafford so much as it is on some of the incompetent teams that have been put around him. As others have said, Matt Stafford with this Bills defense is a Superbowl contender. If the Bills can keep good defences around Josh (and with McDermott here they have a chance to do that) then a Stafford like career might result in a ring or two.  

• Like (+1) 1

Stafford is Drew Bledsoe. I said in another thread that I see Stafford's career as a hopeful floor for Josh. Good numbers with plenty of bad games. 

If the culture McD builds lasts, Josh would win more. And I like Josh a lot more as a leader already. 

Edited by Sundancer

3 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Stafford is Drew Bledsoe. I said in another thread that I see Stafford's career as a hopeful floor for Josh. Good numbers with plenty of bad games. 

If the culture McD builds lasts, Josh would win more. And I like Josh a lot more as a leader already. 

Stafford can actually move off a single spot. As can Josh. Beldsoe basically had to be air lifted down the field after each completion he was so statuesque. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I will respond to the troll with quote by @Chandler#81 in the last thread of his that he closed about an immature JA that the OP does not think has IT.

The OP does not seem to care drops a turd and leaves with no opinion.

Personally I think it is ridiculous at this point - I would not mind the longevity because that means he is good - want more from the team.

From his previous threads:

Not surprisingly, the OP dropped this bomb of a thread 8 hours ago, then quickly disappeared and hasn’t returned. 

He/She now won’t return for a month.

If you start a thread, stay with the thread. Interact with posters views on your topic. The extremes are this crapfest and @Alphadawg7‘s 80 pager on Zay. He stayed with it as a mature person should.

This thread -and the OP- gets flushed down the commode. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Over 11 seasons Matt Stafford  has passed for over 40,000+ yards with a completion percentage at 62.4%.  He's led the Lions to 4 winning seasons and 3 play-off appearances. 

If Josh Allen has similar stats in his career as a Buffalo Bill  what would your expectations be for the team??

I like Stafford he’s a good QB and his numbers are actually better then I thought, 

I think if he had a better running game maybe he would have more playoff appearances and wins , 

I think Allen got more fire in his belly he’s a true competitor and he hates to loose , I also think Allen will be a better leader , I think as far as Allen’s ceiling goes / sky is the limit 

Go Bills !!!!

21 minutes ago, Putin said:

I think Allen got more fire in his belly he’s a true competitor and he hates to loose , I also think Allen will be a better leader , I think as far as Allen’s ceiling goes / sky is the limit 

Think those are areas where Stafford is pretty good actually. His 4th Quarter comeback record speaks to his competitiveness. I think he and Allen are very similar in that regard. 

I want our team to win and win consistently. If Josh is throwing for 3,500 or 4,500 or even 5,500 yards a season, I don't care as long as it equates to winning. Once Josh cleans up the turnovers on offense, it's on. We're winning now with him having his growing pains. Things are only looking up in the B-Lo and don't be surprised if Josh doubles or even triples the number of Stafford's post season trips. 

Just now, prissythecat said:

There is a nickname that people in Detroit have used for Stafford:  “Stat Padford”.    

There is. But they don't know what they have until it is gone. Put Tyrod Taylor or Ryan Tannehill or anyone of that level on that offense the past 6 years and they would have been picking in the top 6 or 7 every single year. 

• Like (+1) 3

9 hours ago, PUNT750 said:

Over 11 seasons Matt Stafford  has passed for over 40,000+ yards with a completion percentage at 62.4%.  He's led the Lions to 4 winning seasons and 3 play-off appearances. 

If Josh Allen has similar stats in his career as a Buffalo Bill  what would your expectations be for the team??

Do we get to keep our current coaches/defense? If so, sign me up because the winning seasons and playoff appearances would skyrocket. 

• Like (+1) 1

Stats tell part of the story, W-L record tells part of the story.

The largest part of the story is that I want a franchise QB who:

1.  Makes others around him better

2. Makes plays under pressure to win games.

Stafford has the stats, no question.  In one season he won many come from behind games but does not operate at this level consistently.

20 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

No, but I’d be satisfied with a poster who isn’t reincarnated because of previous bans and who’d stay with the threads he starts..?

This one is a sensible question though in fairness. The same question had struck me watching that games from last night. I will shut up now and let you enforce the rules. ☺️

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

No.  Stafford is my dawg (pun intended) but he is not clutch at all and thus they only have 3 playoff appearances and no wins.  I'd take less stats and more wins. 

Most 4th Quarter comebacks in the league since he was drafted. Top 10 all time. Not clutch? Hmmmm. The lack of playoff appearances are on his team. But if what you mean is you want Josh to be one of the very rare breed who can overcome a poor team around him then I absolutely agree that should be what we hope for. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This one is a sensible question though in fairness. The same question had struck me watching that games from last night. I will shut up now and let you enforce the rules. ☺️

To me it isn’t the topic - it is the OP dropping the thread and then disappearing.

If you ( @GunnerBill) started the thread - gave your opinions and then discussed it back and forth - the thread has meaning to you.  This poster in his last 5 posts - has started at least 3 threads and never once followed up or spoke again on it.  

It has been left to you to decide what he is asking and how you want to interpret the question.  

For me - I will interpret it my own way.  I would love it if Josh is by far the best and longest lasting QB in his draft class.  That is how I see Stafford.  The numbers do not matter - he ends up by far as the most successful QB in that class and if I can say that about Josh - then I will be happy because they made the right choice.

Other than that - the stats will come or not, the wins will continue, I just want him to far exceed any other QB in that draft.

Edited by Rochesterfan