MNF: Detroit at Green Bay

YoloinOhio

Lions got absolutely hosed by the refs last night. If we think the Patriots get calls then you would not want to be a fan of one of the other three NFC North teams. Packers at Lambeau are the beneficiaries of atrocious refereeing calls pretty much every time they play at home. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

IMHO it's more of a rules problem.

Chasing the infamous "get it right" holy grail will never happen.

Some believe we need to make all rules completely objective,  that's not the answer because its impossible.

If you must have replay, then limit it to scoring plays.

Allow and live with fact that officiating involves judgement.

Do you really want them to make a marginal call that had no bearing, and was 50 yards away?

13 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

IMHO it's more of a rules problem.

Chasing the infamous "get it right" holy grail will never happen.

Some believe we need to make all rules completely objective,  that's not the answer because its impossible.

If you must have replay, then limit it to scoring plays.

Allow and live with fact that officiating involves judgement.

Do you really want them to make a marginal call that had no bearing, and was 50 yards away?

I would be fine with scoring plays and turnovers only and no initiated challenges. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I would be fine with scoring plays and turnovers only and no initiated challenges. 

Agreed that would be much better.

I have a friend who has officiated many sports for years. He believes that simplification and acceptance that some judgement is necessary and  the only way out of the mess. He calls the NFL a reactionary league, add a rule or subsection to a rule and voila problem solved.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Agreed that would be much better.

I have a friend who has officiated many sports for years. He believes that simplification and acceptance that some judgement is necessary and  the only way out of the mess. He calls the NFL a reactionary league, add a rule or subsection to a rule and voila problem solved.

I agree. They over engineer a solution to every problem. 

Scoring plays and turnovers and the threshold for overturning being clear and obvious proof that the on field call is wrong. Nothing winds me up like coaches challenging the spot of the ball. Refs are not robots. Being an inch or two out on a spot will happen a dozen times a game. That being challengeable is a nonsense. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

This game was another good example of why "instant replay" is a farce and you are never going to "get it right" in the end in every situation. 

The game is still filled with as many errors as in the old days, only now it takes longer to play and has lots more delays.

They should scrap the entire system and go back to a call on the field system, period.

I will take it one step further and say replay actually makes the situation worse...to get the call wrong at game speed is one thing- but to review the play and still make the wrong call just makes the whole league look foolish...otherwise, why have replay in the first place?

• Like (+1) 1

Pretty bad.  I'm still recovering from:

- Easter bunnies not laying edible chocolate eggs all over the yard (age 4)

- The Tooth Fairy NOT putting that quarter under my pillow (age 5)

- The whole Santa Claus debacle (age 7)

- Professional Wrestlers rehearsing their moves with each other (age 43)

Refs like that make the game look fixed.

Edited by hemma
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

The sketchiest part is it seemed like the refs almost called the flags when the play was either over or A rod was in deep trouble 

My thoughts exactly.  If they legitimately thought they saw hands to the face, they would have thrown the flag then and there.  They wouldn't have waited until the play was over.  Also the Packers o line was clearly holding on both of those hands to the face calls and they ignored it

• Like (+1) 1

This is one thing that the AAF got right - add an additional zebra in the press box that can view the replays while the on-field officials discuss the merits of the call.

The "Sky Judge" has the power to overrule any call made by an on-field official.  No need to stop the game, just use the time between plays to do so, and buzz down to the field if something is wrong to immediately change a call.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree. They over engineer a solution to every problem. 

Scoring plays and turnovers and the threshold for overturning being clear and obvious proof that the on field call is wrong. Nothing winds me up like coaches challenging the spot of the ball. Refs are not robots. Being an inch or two out on a spot will happen a dozen times a game. That being challengeable is a nonsense. 

They could use technology to get better outcomes. RFID chips in balls would absolutely confirm ball placement and whether a ball crosses the goaline. The NFL steals ideas from other leagues eventually so expect an AAF-style Sky Judge in a few years.

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Yeah right.  Name a specific game that had this level of referee control, twice, which literally reversed the outcome of the game.

The "Just give it to them"  Bills-Pats game. Two egregious calls on the Pats last drive to give them the game. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/16/2225057/buffalo-bills-walk-off-foxboro-patriots

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They could use technology to get better outcomes. RFID chips in balls would absolutely confirm ball placement and whether a ball crosses the goaline. The NFL steals ideas from other leagues eventually so expect an AAF-style Sky Judge in a few years.

Yea I'd be okay with microchipped balls if they can make that work for ball placement. It just should never be reviewable by Head Coaches. It is the most pointless review in the book. 

But don't we see this every year, almost every week?  How many years have we all been saying that poor officiating is ruining the game? I mean... it is true.  I rarely watch non-Bills games any more. I might watch a bit here and there, but can you really get invested in a game when you just absolutely know that the refs are going to do their best to ensure an upset doesn't happen?

is it just lousy officials?  Poor training on their part?  Over complicated rules?  Or game-fixing for the odds makers?  I'm not sure.  But, one thing I'm sure of... It's going to continue.  The league is either unwilling or unable to correct it.

What would I do?  Get rid of Riveron, simplify the rules to make them more black and white, add a ref or 2 either on the field or in the box, and find the refs ..substantially.. for obviously blown calls (or just fire them).   But that is one of the worst things in all this.. There is zero accountablity by the league or the refs when they practically gifted a win to Greenbay.