Bills must prepare to face Rosen AND Fitz

StHustle

17 hours ago, Ennjay said:

The only way for the Bills to lose this game is mentally -- screw up pre-game prep, don't focus, don't take it seriously,  dog your assignments, don't game plan at all, get too cute with play calls, rest the starters too much and too early, all that sort of thing.  The Bills have a superior roster, it's a home game with our rabid fans, and I can't think of a matchup in this game that doesn't favor the Bills (except maybe punter?).

That being said, sometimes better teams do a collective brain cramp (any Georgia fans reading this post?) and games DO get lost mentally.  So it's not a sure thing.  But I believe McD and the team leadership (Gore, Alexander, etc.) WILL keep everyone's heads on straight, so I expect a comfortable win.

Still  . . .

I have been a loyal Bills fan since the AFL and it is the games they are SUPPOSED to win that scare me the most. I expect they will win Sunday, but there is always that little bit of doubt in the corner of my mind. 

This is the week I hope that the offense puts a up BIG points, supported by their stingy defense!

52 minutes ago, Bills2ref said:

You could combine them this year and still not make a competent QB. 

Who would be good on that team? Fitz was pretty good on TB last year (100 qb rating).  Rosen has been in the worst situations in the nfl his first 2 years. Their defense is awful, traded Fitzpatrick, traded their LT, have no receiver talent.  It is one of the worst situations in a long time.  

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Who would be good on that team? Fitz was pretty good on TB last year (100 qb rating).  Rosen has been in the worst situations in the nfl his first 2 years. Their defense is awful, traded Fitzpatrick, traded their LT, have no receiver talent.  It is one of the worst situations in a long time.  

Probably the worst NFL team I’ve ever personally witnessed. 

21 minutes ago, rockpile said:

I have been a loyal Bills fan since the AFL and it is the games they are SUPPOSED to win that scare me the most. I expect they will win Sunday, but there is always that little bit of doubt in the corner of my mind. 

This is the week I hope that the offense puts a up BIG points, supported by their stingy defense!

These type of games don't scare me at all. I fully expect to dominate Sunday. We are a very good team, the Dolphins a very poor team. I like that matchup.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

As I am sure you know, Fitz has hugely inconsistent swings in his play-- he can put up 400 yards one week, and look like garbage the next week. I would never underestimate him, especially if he is extra motivated against his former team. I don't want to see him out there on Sunday. 

But even when he does put up 400 yards, he still throws that same INT on the final drive to seal the defeat.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

But the Chargers seem like a good fit based on need and who their starter is. 

Wait...don't the Chargers have Tyrod Taylor as their backup?! ? He will lead them for the next decade. LOL!

Edited by egd

15 minutes ago, egd said:

Wait...don't the Chargers have Tyrod Taylor as their backup?! ? He will lead them for the next decade. LOL!

Yup, let’s make fun of a good dude who won more games than he lost here.  Why are some fans so petty?

26 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But even when he does put up 400 yards, he still throws that same INT on the final drive to seal the defeat.

Sadly, that is so true.  Fitz still had a career better than 80% of quarterbacks.  He just always comes up short. Phil Rivers is like the franchise qb version of Fitz now.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

2 hours ago, BillsFan17 said:

Watching the over confidence in this thread. Did the Cowboys not teach anyone, anything this past Sunday? Yeah, Darnold is vastly better than Rosen/Fitz, but the fact remains... dont take anyone lightly.

Fans can be overconfident all they want. I doubt the Bills players will be. 

14 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I feel bad for Rosen, dude went from a bad situation to an even worse situation. I don't know if he is a bad or good QB because he has never played for an even decent team nor had a chance to have a team built around him. 

Not picking on you in particular, but I hate this argument

The Bills are a good team with Allen. The Jets are a good team with Darnold. The Packers are a good team with Rodgers. Sometimes those players can elevate the players around him and some guys just cant. Rosen may be a good QB, but apparently he needs the perfect scenario to be "good". That makes him a backup at best. 

JA hardly walked into an ideal situation here. Two starting pro bowl offensive lineman were lost. His number 1 and 2 WRS are out of the league and recently traded for a 5th rounder two years from now. His RB was on the decline and had his worst season in his career. Despite all of that, Allen found a way to make some plays and win 4 of his last 6 starts and averaged 286 total yards and ~2 TDs a game

Baker Mayfield came to a team that had averaged HALF A WIN the previous two years. His HC and OC were fired mid season and he finished with 3700 yards passing and 27TDs

Darnold. Horrible O line, lame duck HC no running game. 2800 yards and 17Tds

Rosen had David Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Christian Kirk and a bad oline. Id argue not much worse than Buffalo's

2300 yards and 11Tds. His last 6 games he accounted for 2 Tds and averaged 158 total yards per game in his final 6 games. He failed to elevate those around him and the fact the Cards had to wait until draft night to declare they were moving on was a joke. Rosen is bad. He hasnt been able to translate his college game to the pros. Its such a common tale but its not his fault ?

2 hours ago, MR8 said:

Lots of arrogance in this thread from fans, that's why these are called "trap games"... Hopefully the players and coaches are taking this game a lot more seriously than the fans.  

If you subscribe to the theory of “ trap games” or if you don’t ( pretty sure it’s been debunked statistically) , the Bills matchup vs the Dolphins this week doesn’t fit the classic definition. A trap game is vs a non division opponent - probably with a lesser record- sandwiched between two division games or after consecutive division games. For those who do think that trap games are a thing, the Bills opponent the following week ( Eagles) will be coming off a division game vs Dallas and in the midst of a 3 game NFC run. Sounds like it might be a trap game for the Eagles if you’re a believer. 

13 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

you are correct- but they are still human and can happen

I didn’t say it couldn’t happen, but it’s not something I would assume will happen or point to if they lose -simply because there are no signs of it. If they lose I will assume they just didn’t play well enough to win. That’s more likely based on everything we’ve seen - especially the stretches they have had of not playing winning football- than that they “overlooked” the opponent. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

If you subscribe to the theory of “ trap games” or if you don’t ( pretty sure it’s been debunked statistically) , the Bills matchup vs the Dolphins this week doesn’t fit the classic definition. A trap game is vs a non division opponent - probably with a lesser record- sandwiched between two division games or after consecutive division games. For those who do think that trap games are a thing, the Bills opponent the following week ( Eagles) will be coming off a division game vs Dallas and in the midst of a 3 game NFC run. Sounds like it might be a trap game for the Eagles if you’re a believer. 

I don't agree with your definition, and that's your subjective way of looking at "trap games. It doesn't hold with others. 

According to an ESPN article from a few years ago "An appropriate assessment since, in the jargon, there are certain matchups that have come to be known as "trap" games. There is no set definition for precisely what constitutes a "trap" game. But here's a loose explanation: A game in which a playoff contender faces a losing team, but one that still has some motivation for playing hard, and possesses some matchup advantages." - http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1467816.html

Urban Dictionary (written by fans) - trap game
A trap game is a game played against an opponent generally deemed to be easy to defeat. As a result a person or team may not prepare as thoroughly as they would for a formidable opponent. Often this attitude and its attendant lack of preparation lead to a loss.
"Seattle should be able to defeat Cleveland easily this Sunday, but they need to be careful that this does not become a trap game for them." - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=trap%2bgame&amp=true

Another take from In Game Trap - "What is a Trap Game?
A trap game is when a stronger opponent overlooks a weaker opponent and the weaker opponent overcomes adversity potentially winning the game. This especially happens when the stronger team is on their home turf with their fans behind their backs. They get too comfortable!" - https://ingametrap.com/what-is-a-trap-game

Football Outsiders - "Giving this supposition as wide a berth as possible, we'll define a trap game as any game against a sub-.500 opponent slotted between two games against opponents who, on the season, posted records above .500." - https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2010/pfp-2007-trap-games

Soooo none of these are the exact same and none match yours, but all are entirely valid. 

As for it being "debunked" what's been done is a statistical analysis ... Football outsiders did one in the link I sent. And while the favorite team wins most, they don't win all and the point is it's a trap but you don't HAVE TO fall for it... 

This is a trap game

Just now, MR8 said:

I don't agree with your definition, and that's your subjective way of looking at "trap games. It doesn't hold with others. 

According to an ESPN article from a few years ago "An appropriate assessment since, in the jargon, there are certain matchups that have come to be known as "trap" games. There is no set definition for precisely what constitutes a "trap" game. But here's a loose explanation: A game in which a playoff contender faces a losing team, but one that still has some motivation for playing hard, and possesses some matchup advantages." - http://a.espncdn.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1467816.html

Urban Dictionary (written by fans) - trap game
A trap game is a game played against an opponent generally deemed to be easy to defeat. As a result a person or team may not prepare as thoroughly as they would for a formidable opponent. Often this attitude and its attendant lack of preparation lead to a loss.
"Seattle should be able to defeat Cleveland easily this Sunday, but they need to be careful that this does not become a trap game for them." - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.urbandictionary.com/define.php%3fterm=trap%2bgame&amp=true

Another take from In Game Trap - "What is a Trap Game?
A trap game is when a stronger opponent overlooks a weaker opponent and the weaker opponent overcomes adversity potentially winning the game. This especially happens when the stronger team is on their home turf with their fans behind their backs. They get too comfortable!" - https://ingametrap.com/what-is-a-trap-game

Football Outsiders - "Giving this supposition as wide a berth as possible, we'll define a trap game as any game against a sub-.500 opponent slotted between two games against opponents who, on the season, posted records above .500." - https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2010/pfp-2007-trap-games

Soooo none of these are the exact same and none match yours, but all are entirely valid. 

As for it being "debunked" what's been done is a statistical analysis ... Football outsiders did one in the link I sent. And while the favorite team wins most, they don't win all and the point is it's a trap but you don't HAVE TO fall for it... 

This is a trap game

It appears the “ definition” has been expanded since what was generally accepted amongst football analysts/ fans etc in the 80’s and 90’s. At that time, it was understood to be a non-division or out of conference opponent. Probably because there isn’t a ton of statistical evidence to support it, it’s now being said that just a losing record qualifies as a “ trap”. All in good fun, whether you subscribe to the theory of a trap game or not. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MR8 said:

Lots of arrogance in this thread from fans, that's why these are called "trap games"... Hopefully the players and coaches are taking this game a lot more seriously than the fans.  

Of course they are. They're studying film and practicing all week to prepare for the game. The fans aren't.

35 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Of course they are. They're studying film and practicing all week to prepare for the game. The fans aren't.

Easy to say that but doesn't always play like that... 

2 hours ago, rockpile said:

I hear you.  Remember the home game vs. the Jets back in the Super Bowl years, the week after Dennis Byrd was paralyzed?  Those Jets weren't as bad as these Dolphins, but still the Bills had a superior roster and a home game.  So of course they lost 24-17 to a Jets team that finished 4-12.

FWIW I just looked it up -- it was 1992.  Had the Bills won and the rest of the season's results stayed the same they would have won the division at 12-4.  Instead Miami won on a tiebreaker at 11-5 and the Bills played Houston in the Comeback wild card game.  Considering how they ran out of gas at halftime vs. Dallas in the Super Bowl, maybe that one loss made all the difference because it forced them to play the extra game.

Sorry for going off topic.