Something fishy in Texans-Chiefs game on a pass interferce call

syhuang

I don't know if the NFL called in that reversal, although the ref is obviously listening to someone on his headset and I definitely don't put it past the NFL to skew games  a bit here and there (I think it happens a lot),

But, how can that not be a penalty. He basically tackled Kelce off the line of scrimmage. Tough to make that changed call seem believable (within the rules of the game).. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Because it's how human beings are designed.

Look at us, communicating without even looking! Or even speaking!

And parents and kids texting each other when they are all in the same house.

Any company that uses radios frequently to communicate implements radio etiquette rules to ensure clear and effective communication.

11 minutes ago, syhuang said:

I didn't locate the exact rules in NFL rulebook but found this article relating to it when quickly googling it. Not sure if anything changes afterward.

----------------------------------------------------------

https://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/224822/mike-pereira-wants-to-reveal-nfls-undercover-officiating-program

In a conversation this week about his book, "After Further Review," Pereira reiterated and amplified a theory that he first advanced last year -- a premise that makes perfect sense but would undermine the transparency of NFL game administration. According to Pereira, referees regularly receive assistance and advice from replay officials on their wireless headsets, communication that helps them make accurate calls but would be in violation of rules the league itself has published and publicized.

"They're never going to come out and admit it because it's not allowed in the rules," he said. "I get that. And I'm not against the notion of trying to get as many calls right as you can, but my only concern is if the rulebook doesn't allow you to do it -- to me, there is a conflict. I get the side of trying to avoid controversy, but I'd rather the rulebook allow it first."

----------------------------------------------------------

This is all I could find in the rulebook- 

ARTICLE 9. GAME ADMINISTRATION

The Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department may consult with on-field officials, or conduct a replay review, of game administration issues, including: (a) penalty enforcement; (b) the proper down; (c) spot of a foul; and (d) the game clock.

Item 1. Game Clock. The game clock is reviewable for purposes of restoring time to the clock but not for purposes of taking time off the clock.

Notes:

1. Time can be restored to the game clock if the clock operator incorrectly starts the game clock when it should remain stopped, provided that the correction occurs before the next legal snap or kick.
  2. An on-field ruling that time expired during or after the last play of any half, or of an overtime period in the preseason or regular season, or of an overtime half in the postseason, is reviewable by the Replay Official only when the visual evidence demonstrates that the clock should have stopped with two or more seconds remaining. In the first half, time shall be restored only if the additional play will be a snap from scrimmage. In the second half, time shall be restored only if the next play will be a snap from scrimmage by a team that is trailing by eight points or less, or by either team if the score is tied.
  3. The game clock is reviewable to determine if it properly expired when on-field officials restore time after the last play of any half, or of an overtime period in the preseason or regular season, or of an overtime half in the postseason. Visual evidence that a clock should have stopped includes any situation when the clock stops by rule after the ball becomes dead. Visual evidence that the clock should have stopped for a team timeout occurs when an official starts to raise his or her arm to signal a stopped clock.

So if 'designated members of the officiating dept' (no idea who those may be) are able to consult w/ on-field officials about 'game administrative issues' including penalty enforcement...it seems like it's a gray area. This came from the section pertaining to instant replay (what I take to mean all video coach-or-Replay-Official-or-scoring/turnover mandated replay situations)...I guess defining what 'penalty enforcement' means would be the issue.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, HamSandwhich said:

I think the issue is, even if it was not pass interference it was defensive holding and thereby defensive holding. It’s absolutely nuts to me that they gave that ball to the Texans. That turned the game.

That's where I'm at too. 

I can't remember how many times I've seen that called away from the pass/receiver. 

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

Look at us, communicating without even looking! Or even speaking!

And parents and kids texting each other when they are all in the same house.

Any company that uses radios frequently to communicate implements radio etiquette rules to ensure clear and effective communication.

You're not looking? That is impressive.

There are significant differences though, we're not in any kind of rush, we can see our names and Avatars, and even specifically quote each other.

Right and they develop those etiquette rules for a reason. I'm not saying they can't do it only that it's easier when they can see and hear each other directly which is why they tend to do it.

35 minutes ago, syhuang said:

From the article:

PFT has learned that replay review definitely was not involved in this decision. This means that no one should have been talking to any of the officials regarding whether or not the call for pass interference should have been changed, or whether some other penalty should have been called.

That is not correct though - it was a turnover with a penalty- all turnovers are automatically reviewed.  I agree they should not be looking at PI, but the coaches and GMs decided they wanted PI reviewed - so on a turnover PI can be reviewed as part of the turnover.

If they had ruled holding or illegal contact and this occurred - I would cry foul, but because it was called PI and a turnover - it is certainly up for review and discussion.  The replay official should have buzzed down to discuss and if there was an issue - it should go to NY for clarification.

The problem is the coaches and GMs on the competition committee do not think about impact they saw the NO play and way over reacted and it leads to this.

I believe there are many issues because they cannot review holding or illegal contact - so if that had been called - no review and the play is reversed.  Additionally if the ball had not been intercepted or a TD scored - the PI would have need to been challenged to get a review, but in this case they actually did the correct thing.  The problem is all with the wrong call on Kelce - should have been defensive holding and all of this goes away.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Refs are allowed to huddle up tho and change calls

They wear an O20 official to official radios

This. Just because they were listening to their ear radio doesn’t mean they were talking to New York. They run 7 man crews and everyone has a radio to communicate with each other. Likely someone on the crew corrected the white hat on the call. This is completely legal if done before the next play. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

You're not looking? That is impressive.

There are significant differences though, we're not in any kind of rush, we can see our names and Avatars, and even specifically quote each other.

Right and they develop those etiquette rules for a reason. I'm not saying they can't do it only that it's easier when they can see and hear each other directly which is why they tend to do it.

I think they do it because they are old and have been doing it a certain way for their whole lives, not because it is better, more effective, or because that's how humans are designed.

All in all, it wastes time and they should be using the technology more because that's why they have it, to avoid delays. Having to huddle causes delays.

1 minute ago, Rochesterfan said:

That is not correct though - it was a turnover with a penalty- all turnovers are automatically reviewed.  I agree they should not be looking at PI, but the coaches and GMs decided they wanted PI reviewed - so on a turnover PI can be reviewed as part of the turnover.

If they had ruled holding or illegal contact and this occurred - I would cry foul, but because it was called PI and a turnover - it is certainly up for review and discussion.  The replay official should have buzzed down to discuss and if there was an issue - it should go to NY for clarification.

The problem is the coaches and GMs on the competition committee do not think about impact they saw the NO play and way over reacted and it leads to this.

I believe there are many issues because they cannot review holding or illegal contact - so if that had been called - no review and the play is reversed.  Additionally if the ball had not been intercepted or a TD scored - the PI would have need to been challenged to get a review, but in this case they actually did the correct thing.  The problem is all with the wrong call on Kelce - should have been defensive holding and all of this goes away.

For this bold statement above, my understanding is that only when the end result is a turnover, the play gets auto-reviewed. In this case, it didn't end up as a turnover so there is no auto-review.

Also, from the original article: "PFT has learned that replay review definitely was not involved in this decision", auto review didn't kick in for this particular play.

4 minutes ago, Rochesterfan said:

Good call. I forgot about the rule that all turnovers are reviewed now. Fair game to get help from video  crew on this one I think...

29 minutes ago, folz said:

I don't know if the NFL called in that reversal, although the ref is obviously listening to someone on his headset and I definitely don't put it past the NFL to skew games  a bit here and there (I think it happens a lot),

But, how can that not be a penalty. He basically tackled Kelce off the line of scrimmage. Tough to make that changed call seem believable (within the rules of the game).. 

Because the correct call as the ref announced was probably holding, but that was not what was called and that is not reviewable because the coaches and GMs in their wisdom created a bad rule that does not work.

The PI was incorrect and could be reviewed and overturned.

Let's just hope the script is all about building up the evil team (NE) making them seem invincible, while also making opposition to them seem weak...

Then, when all looks lost a hero emerges....Wearing red white and blue... America's hero....

A TEAM of heroes. The true America's team. The Buffalo Bills!

The NFL is basically recreating the Marvel scripts....  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

It's been fairly apparent this year that via their ear pieces, officials on the field are receiving input from someone off the field. It's happened on multiple potential "game changing" calls that were not under review or challenged (e.g. kick catch interference in the Steelers game last night). The normal routine is the officials huddle to "discuss" it, but it's obvious they're waiting on input that's communicated to them from somewhere.

Side note, I'm 100% fine with this, but feel the league should be more transparent about it.

Edited by DisplacedBillsFan