Idle thought...successful challenges should be free?

7 hours ago, The Red King said:

I always wondered why successful challenges cost something.  You get two challenges, and a third if those two were successful.  But even if you got all three right, that's all you get.  Get the first wrong and the second is your last, even if it's successful.  I know people worry about slowing down the game, but if the refs screwed up a ruling shouldn't it be overturned without it somehow counting against the challenging team?  I mean, if the refs blow four big plays in a Bills' game, shouldn't they all be overturned?  Just wondering if it wouldn't be better to say a coach can continue to issue challenges until they fail two, or something like that. ?

Yeah, I've often thought that. 

The problem is that it could lead to too many challenges. Challenges can help correct mistakes, but they also lengthen games and can often themselves prove to be mistakes.

7 hours ago, Geo in Pa said:

To have a head coach have to this with all he has to do during a game is insane. Why is it up to the coach to correct the incompetent refs? 

Because nobody corrects all the incompetent coaches and players. If fans could correct bad playcalls, poor game management and player mistakes, the games would go on for weeks. The refs do a damn good job, for human beings at ground level.

Edited by Thurman#1

8 hours ago, Bills2ref said:

If they were to do this, then they would have to go to one challenge a game. There is already way too much replay in the NFL, I am adamantly against having anymore. Hate the PI challenge rule and am glad the officials are basically nullifying it by never overturning anything. I’m far more in favor of reducing coaches challenges. I don’t think a successful one should get you anything at all. I believe it should be two challenges in a game, regardless of the outcome. To balance this out I would be willing to make everything reviewable though 

So you want "everything" to be reviewable except the PI which is now reviewable but turned into a joke by the officials and the NFL.

Edited by matter2003

Scrap the entire system and live with calls on the field.

Instant replay and reviews have just as much subjective nuance built into them as calls on the field, and you are never, ever going to "get it right" all the time anyway.

The system just ruins games and bogs them down worse than they already are bogged down by commercials.

Scrap it!  It's crap!