I can only conclude that the lack of PI challenges succeeding is a revolt by the officials

This is a terrible example, if the argument is that the refs are revolting on PI challenges. I mean, it's the Patriots... and that team can do no wrong. Holding down a WR's arm before an attempted catch whilst wearing a Patriots uniform is just a skill that cannot be taught. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Sean McDermott, I hope you're reading this: never challenge a PI/non-PI call for the rest of the season. I know you succeeded in week one, but literally NOTHING is being overturned now -- even blatantly obvious stuff. It is really unbelievable. 

I was thinking the same thing yesterday after watching a couple that obviously should have been overturned.

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Sean McDermott, I hope you're reading this: never challenge a PI/non-PI call for the rest of the season. I know you succeeded in week one, but literally NOTHING is being overturned now -- even blatantly obvious stuff. It is really unbelievable. 

Amazing defense the Pats have...especially when you can do that to receivers.

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s obvious to me, and should be to anyone paying attention. The league caved in due to backlash and embarrassment , but honestly reviewing / overturning non PI calls is terrible for the game. Imagine if they could challenge offensive holding ? It’d be ridiculous. It’s like that stupid blue line challenge thing in hockey disallowing goals that happen a half minute later. Any NFL fan knows that lots of ( technically) PI things go uncalled, and most would prefer to “ let them play” except for egregious infractions. The league has essentially sent the message to not waste your time or your timeout unless it’s a huge missed call and probably only in the playoffs or playoff berth deciding situation. Edit : more to your point in the thread title , I do not believe it’s any kind of revolt by the officials. Rather, more of a concerted effort with the league being on board. It’s meant as a fail safe in a game deciding situation during the postseason and that’s about it. 

All I want is for them to call it equally.  Too many times I have seen blatant interference get no call and then some ticky tacky crap get a game changing call.  It's way too easy to fix games.  I don't want to get into conspiracy theories but that's how I feel about it.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

This.  As I understand it, all the challenges get reviewed by 1 ref. 

So one doesn't need to have a conspiracy, all one needs is for 1 guy to have made up his mind to stand by his "thin black and white line"

https://operations.nfl.com/the-officials/these-officials-are-really-good/nfl-instant-replay-process/

17 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

All I want is for them to call it equally.  Too many times I have seen blatant interference get no call and then some ticky tacky crap get a game changing call.  It's way too easy to fix games.  I don't want to get into conspiracy theories but that's how I feel about it.

Indeed.  In my opinion, inequitable refereeing or the perception of inequitable refereeing is one of the biggest problems putting fans off of the game.

Also refereeing that follows the rules, but leads to a perceived inequitable result - an example of what I mean would be holding on Dawkins offsetting head to head on Jones.  Holding someone's jersey gets the same punishment as slamming into a guy's helmet and knocking him out?  Srsly?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Interesting!  So they use the commercial television feed, not coaches film.

That's  the way I read it.  As well as some software that gives them better angles or something.  I liked reading the stats on that page too.  

6 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s obvious to me, and should be to anyone paying attention. The league caved in due to backlash and embarrassment , but honestly reviewing / overturning non PI calls is terrible for the game. Imagine if they could challenge offensive holding ? It’d be ridiculous. It’s like that stupid blue line challenge thing in hockey disallowing goals that happen a half minute later. Any NFL fan knows that lots of ( technically) PI things go uncalled, and most would prefer to “ let them play” except for egregious infractions. The league has essentially sent the message to not waste your time or your timeout unless it’s a huge missed call and probably only in the playoffs or playoff berth deciding situation. Edit : more to your point in the thread title , I do not believe it’s any kind of revolt by the officials. Rather, more of a concerted effort with the league being on board. It’s meant as a fail safe in a game deciding situation during the postseason and that’s about it. 

I agree with your overall sentiment but that play shown above is egregious and needs to be flagged. Secondly the officials are not shy about throwing flags- I watched end of Jets Cowboys and think they literally threw flags on 5 straight plays. If the officials were " letting them play" I would not complain but outside Buffalo games they are often unwatchable due to officials.

18 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well SM has won 1 challenge out of 12, so maybe he shouldn’t challenge anything. ?

as someone who hates complaining about officials, it’s really bad this year.  And it slows the game down in painful ways.  It’s really hard to get non fans into it and I’m trying!

I thought the same. It seems worse this year than ever before. I was told by another poster to quit whining, we say that every year.

I don't know. Maybe it's because more stuff is now reviewable, and they're blowing the reviews that makes it seem worse? It seems like every week, the officials end up having an impact on the outcome of a game in a negative way.