I can only conclude that the lack of PI challenges succeeding is a revolt by the officials

Well SM has won 1 challenge out of 12, so maybe he shouldn’t challenge anything. ?

as someone who hates complaining about officials, it’s really bad this year.  And it slows the game down in painful ways.  It’s really hard to get non fans into it and I’m trying!

• Like (+1) 3

It’s obvious to me, and should be to anyone paying attention. The league caved in due to backlash and embarrassment , but honestly reviewing / overturning non PI calls is terrible for the game. Imagine if they could challenge offensive holding ? It’d be ridiculous. It’s like that stupid blue line challenge thing in hockey disallowing goals that happen a half minute later. Any NFL fan knows that lots of ( technically) PI things go uncalled, and most would prefer to “ let them play” except for egregious infractions. The league has essentially sent the message to not waste your time or your timeout unless it’s a huge missed call and probably only in the playoffs or playoff berth deciding situation. Edit : more to your point in the thread title , I do not believe it’s any kind of revolt by the officials. Rather, more of a concerted effort with the league being on board. It’s meant as a fail safe in a game deciding situation during the postseason and that’s about it. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 5

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s obvious to me, and should be to anyone paying attention. The league caved in due to backlash and embarrassment , but honestly reviewing / overturning non calls is terrible for the game. It’s like that stupid blue line challenge thing in hockey disallowing goals that happen a half minute later. Any NFL fan knows that lots of ( technically) PI things go uncalled, and most would prefer to “ let them play” except for egregious infractions. The league has essentially sent the message to not wast your time or your timeout unless it’s a huge missed call and probably only in the playoffs or playoff berth deciding situation. 

Yup. Basically, it exists for situations like the Saints game or the Fail Mary. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The NFL is way too accepting of rule changes off a whim.  Majority of the new rule changes just make the game more difficult to watch.

Side note, maybe related, but are refs still not full time employees/are they pissed about this?

Just now, TroutDog said:

I agree @dave mcbride. It’s silly that it was ever implemented at this point and it needs to be scrapped as the refs are absolutely pushing back against being questioned. 

I think they been told to stick with the call unless horribly egregious at a major moment but unfortunately if you don’t know the standard as a coach it’s costing you timeouts/challenges to learn and who wants to risk that (especially at a big moment).

it feels like you just have to let the booth make the call inside 2 mins and ignore the rest 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Southern Bills Fan said:

They only put the rule in to pacify a whining fan base (Saints). They never had any intention of enforcing it. 

Saints fans are the biggest bunch of babies complaining about that call. Completely ignored all the awful calls that went their way that game.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

The NFL is way too accepting of rule changes off a whim.  Majority of the new rule changes just make the game more difficult to watch.

Side note, maybe related, but are refs still not full time employees/are they pissed about this?

They just signed a new agreement and most have lucrative full time jobs elsewhere so I’d guess they are just fine with it. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s obvious to me, and should be to anyone paying attention. The league caved in due to backlash and embarrassment , but honestly reviewing / overturning non PI calls is terrible for the game. Imagine if they could challenge offensive holding ? It’d be ridiculous. It’s like that stupid blue line challenge thing in hockey disallowing goals that happen a half minute later. Any NFL fan knows that lots of ( technically) PI things go uncalled, and most would prefer to “ let them play” except for egregious infractions. The league has essentially sent the message to not waste your time or your timeout unless it’s a huge missed call and probably only in the playoffs or playoff berth deciding situation. 

That's why the idea was to have a limited number of challenges. I mean it's hard to know if it would work well when a part of the system is refusing to operate.

1 minute ago, Jobot said:

Saints fans are the biggest bunch of babies complaining about that call. Completely ignored all the awful calls that went their way that game.

While the call was awful, their team could have stopped the Rams from scoring and forcing overtime . The Saints also had the ball in the OT and didn’t score iirc so the non call didn’t exactly end the game. 

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

That's why the idea was to have a limited number of challenges. I mean it's hard to know if it would work well when a part of the system is refusing to operate.

Challenges have always been limited. Scrutinizing an area of the game where rules violations often go uncalled isn’t a can of worms the NFL really wanted to open. They just wanted a mechanism to reverse a terrible call or non call in a high profile situation that leaves them with egg on their face. 

• Like (+1) 1

Great write-up on this very issue this morning in Peter King's column:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/10/14/nfl-week-6-devlin-hodges-fmia-peter-king/

"The NFL is Blowing This. I hate talking about officiating. I hate writing about officiating. Fans don’t wake up Sunday morning in Tacoma to watch football and wonder if incidental contact on a Russell Wilson-to-Tyler Lockett pass downfield is enough to constitute interference. They wake up to say, Tough game for Russell today in Cleveland. Hope he can do enough to win. But to me, enough’s enough with this new pass-interference replay rule. Thursday night was the death blow for it"

Read the full section he writes about this problem--but suffice to say if one of the media types (as well respected in league circles as King is) is turning the full weight of their soapboxes against the league on this, it probably won't be long before we see substantive changes one way or the other in response, imho.

• Like (+1) 2

I think they fear overturning too many calls because they feel like it'll empower coaches/teams to call more challenges and eventually push for additional challenges to be added as well as more rule changes/tweaks. It seems as though they believe if they just stick with what they called, coaches will be dissuaded from throwing the red flag. Seems like they want coaches to think, "Well, they're not going to change it anyway, so why waste my time-out?"

Big dumb Al Riveron has a lot to do with it as well. He's a complete schmuck. Officiating makes this game more and more difficult to enjoy every season. If they don't realize that and do something to fix it soon, it's gonna end up going down in history as an element that eventually helped killed the game. Jackwagons, all of 'em. They have too much of an impact on the game and when things come down to the wire between two teams there seems to be two schools of thought in officiating: "let 'em play" where they call virtually nothing, or they call every little thing (in some cases calling BS penalties that you know they've ignored all game). 

I'm in whichever group thinks the entire rulebook needs to be shredded and rewritten from the ground up. Only way to fix all their convoluted crapola. 

Edited by blacklabel

One would think King holds some sway, but in this case I think he’ll be ignored. He’s pointing out what seems obvious, but it’s actaully working the way the league wants it. That’s because they want it to be available, but rarely if ever used. They can’t really come out and say that, but the message being sent is clear. Coaches have been testing it, and the response has been universal  Don’t use this unless it’s the playoffs or similar and the game is literally on the line. It will turn the game into a joke if used even sporadically in just about every NFL contest. NFL rules like offensive holding or defensive PI are enforced intermittently and inconsistently just to keep teams “ honest”. The game would be unwatchable if they were always enforced to the letter. Although, with the preponderance of yellow flags in most games lately I have to wonder. 

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Well SM has won 1 challenge out of 12, so maybe he shouldn’t challenge anything. ?

as someone who hates complaining about officials, it’s really bad this year.  And it slows the game down in painful ways.  It’s really hard to get non fans into it and I’m trying!

Great point.  McDermott should just leave the red flag in his office.