Red uniforms this week

FluffHead

1 hour ago, Ennjay said:

Anybody here know why they have this rule?

It can't be for safety because the helmets still have to be regulation (hello again AB!) and besides, there's no rule that you have to wear the exact same helmet all year -- a player can always replace what he wore last week (like if it broke or got lost or stolen or something) with a new helmet.  It can't be for trademark or marketing reasons because the teams own and market all the throwback and color rush stuff anyway.  Helmets aren't cheap but if a team wants to buy an alternate set (like a lot of colleges do; look at Oregon, although maybe Nike donates what they wear) why should the league care?  Are they afraid opponents won't recognize who they're playing?

Seriously, does anyone know what motivates the rule?

https://uni-watch.com/an-faq-for-the-nfls-helmet-rule/

When was the rule enacted?

The rule came to light in September of 2013, when the Buccaneers announced that their “Bucco Bruce”-era throwbacks, which they had planned to wear later that month, were being scrapped because the NFL had quietly approved a recommendation by two of the league’s advisory panels — the Head, Neck, and Spine Committee and the Player Safety Advisory Panel — that limited teams from switching helmets during the season. The Buccaneers’ normal helmets are pewter and the throwback helmets were white, so wearing the throwback uniforms would have necessitated a new set of helmets. Teams had routinely used new helmet sets for throwback games in the past, but it was no longer possible under the new rule.

What is the thinking behind the rule?

The idea is to limit the number of helmets that players wear during a season, because new helmets can be unsafe if they’re worn fresh out of the box, without a lengthy “break-in” period.

I guess an easy fix would to have players wear two helmets during the offseason, OTAs etc so they are both broken in. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

What is the thinking behind the rule?

The idea is to limit the number of helmets that players wear during a season, because new helmets can be unsafe if they’re worn fresh out of the box, without a lengthy “break-in” period.

I guess an easy fix would to have players wear two helmets during the offseason, OTAs etc so they are both broken in. 

Thanks for doing the research.  So I guess it is a safety issue.

And on your easy fix:  I'd be surprised if players don't already have a couple of helmets ready for game use just in case.  But what do I know?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Ennjay said:

Thanks for doing the research.  So I guess it is a safety issue.

And on your easy fix:  I'd be surprised if players don't already have a couple of helmets ready for game use just in case.  But what do I know?

You are probably right. Each guy probably uses like 3 helmets. 

Apparently you are allowed to change the decals, that's why we can still use the standing Buffalo helmet. 

19 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You are probably right. Each guy probably uses like 3 helmets. 

Apparently you are allowed to change the decals, that's why we can still use the standing Buffalo helmet. 

Yeah, I just read the FAQ link you included with your first post.  Interesting situation that the NFL cares about the issue and the NCAA doesn't.  Not that this is news.

I'm also starting to wonder what it means to "break in" a helmet over a "lengthy" period.  Get the inside padding to fit "just right"?  B y banging your head into it in practice?

• Like (+1) 1

A buddy of mine who is a browns fan said the Bills " human bloodclot" uniforms are hideous. His brother said we looked like "big used tampons" running around out there. The red doesn't bother me at all, but those two descriptions made me laugh.

17 minutes ago, Dopey said:

A buddy of mine who is a browns fan said the Bills " human bloodclot" uniforms are hideous. His brother said we looked like "big used tampons" running around out there. The red doesn't bother me at all, but those two descriptions made me laugh.

tell your friend 

Youd rather be a blood clot than a steamy pile of dog ? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dopey said:

Like he can make any comments about another teams unis and be taken seriously...

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Clyde Smith said:

F that! I love the all red and the all blue uni's.

Same my man. I think it's a generational thing. I love our current unis, but red just pops and doesn't look at all "off brand" pertaining to the Bills. It's a cool change of pace.

I'm also a fan of the all blue's. They just look "mean." To each their own when it comes to uniforms. It's not that serious.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LSHMEAB said:

Same my man. I think it's a generational thing. I love our current unis, but red just pops and doesn't look at all "off brand" pertaining to the Bills. It's a cool change of pace.

I'm also a fan of the all blue's. They just look "mean." To each their own when it comes to uniforms. It's not that serious.

Exactly! Some of the complainers probably have no sense of style in person. These uni's are sharp, anyway they configure the tops and buttons they still look great. I'll take them over half the team uni's in the league. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/14/2019 at 12:52 PM, MJS said:

I know I am in the minority, but I do not mind the reds. I am all for changing up the uniforms from time to time. I also don't mind the all blues.

They should have matching helmets, fulfill the color wave, If you’re going to do it Go big or go home, red helmets, blue helmets, and white helmets, just do it already.

Go Bills!!!

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

They should have matching helmets, fulfill the color wave, If you’re going to do it Go big or go home, red helmets, blue helmets, and white helmets, just do it already.

Go Bills!!!

Can't. Period.