Happy Canadian Thanksgiving Day to you louts up north

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

What do Canadians do on their Thanksgiving? Is it the same as the US, except You all just eat more reasonable portions of Turkey? 

The football isn’t as vital, no legends or folklore either 

it gives us a holiday for every month except June and the March/April without Easter

4 hours ago, Gray Beard said:

I think having Thanksgiving farther from Christmas is a good idea.  These days Thanksgiving to Christmas is almost a monthlong blur. 

It was good to get the October break for school as well.

Yes, a very Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian Bills friends.  

I say, make Thanksgiving any damn day you want. I'd have one every season. We all need to give more thanks, and feast together with our family and friends---outside of a tailgate situation, that is.

And cut my paisan Cristoforo some slack. You know how hard it is for most of us Italians to leave our homes and families? This sucker left to beg Spain to sponsor a trip to boldly go where no man had gone before---at least that he knew of. It was a fool's errand and he completely failed his primary mission. But hey, happy accident. Doesn't happen without some serious nads.

Boldly go? Serious nads?  What was I thinking of?  Oh, right.

Interestingly enough, another Colombo, Realdo gets some misplaced credit. But like Chris, he also "boldly went...".  An Italian anatomist, Realdo claims to have discovered the ***** (cl!toris, in case Prudy McFilter gets involved) in 1559. Again, obviously somebody had been there before him. I'm going out on a limb here and saying, even some MAN had been there before. But to Realdo, an anatomy scholar, nothing like this had ever been postulated before. In his mind, he was the first to ever discover this wonderous new world. And I suppose, given the mores of the day, that took some nads. 

Oh I don't think there has ever been any established familial relationship between Christoforo and Realdo Colombo. But, c'mon!

Edited by The Dean

And poor Amerigo Vespucci gets little to no credit 

America was named after Amerigo Vespucci, a Florentine navigator and explorer who played a prominent role in exploring the New World.

Vespucci was the son of Nastagio, a notary. As a boy Vespucci was given a humanistic education by his uncle Giorgio Antonio. In 1479 he accompanied another relation, sent by the famous Italian Medici family to be their spokesman to the king of France. On returning, Vespucci entered the “bank” of Lorenzo and Giovanni di Pierfrancesco de’ Medici and gained the confidence of his employers.

At the end of 1491 their agent, Giannotto Berardi, appears to have been engaged partly in fitting out ships; and Vespucci was probably present when Christopher Columbus returned from his first expedition, which Berardi had assisted. Later Vespucci was to collaborate, still with Berardi, in the preparation of a ship for Columbus’s second expedition and of others for his third. When Berardi died, either at the end of 1495 or at the beginning of 1496, Vespucci became manager of the Sevilla agency.