2019 Playoffs. 1st round

Likely scenario has Week 17 has a win and in game.   Really need to have the Steelers, Colts, Raiders, and Texans to lose games down the back stretch here.

Dont want to risk the entire season on beating the Jets Week 17.    Beat the Broncos, Steelers, and Jets and youre in, plain and simple.  Dont lose any of those games.

4 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Likely scenario has Week 17 has a win and in game.   Really need to have the Steelers, Colts, Raiders, and Texans to lose games down the back stretch here.

Dont want to risk the entire season on beating the Jets Week 17.    Beat the Broncos, Steelers, and Jets and youre in, plain and simple.  Dont lose any of those games.

In this scenario the Jets will be fired up for revenge. It wasn't that long ago they needed a week 17 win at Buffalo to make the playoffs and the Bills ended their season. That was the game Fitz threw 3 INT's. I hope the Bills have a playoff spot clinched before week 17 but I doubt this will be the case.

23 minutes ago, ProeBills said:

I'm also guilty of looking at the standings and remaining schedules to figure out the Bills' playoff path. Certainly I'm going to root in any individual non-Bills game for the best outcome that helps the Bills as in this thread. But......this type of analysis (below) is Bills fandom (and media) stuck in the Bills' miserable past.

Top Wild Card: Buffalo Bills

Current record: 7-3

Likely wins remaining: 2 (vs DEN, vs NYJ)

Likely losses remaining: 3 (at DAL, vs BAL, at NE)

Toss-ups remaining: 1 (at PIT)

The miserable past had fans clinging to remote hopes that the stars would align for opponent losses and tie-breakers would fall in the Bills' favor.

Likely losses????? Really??? I am going to choose to embrace The Process. Pretty sure the conversation in the locker room this week isn't "we gotta win this one cause we have some likely losses coming up". Like the players, I expect to win every one of the next 6 "this week's games". The Bills are in the driver's seat here. This year the other teams are praying for Bills' losses. Enjoy the ride. It's been a while.

In past seasons,  at the midway point,the Bills were always chasing the WC.   

This season they have control of the WC. 

Just Win Baby!!! 

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Greg S said:

In this scenario the Jets will be fired up for revenge. It wasn't that long ago they needed a week 17 win at Buffalo to make the playoffs and the Bills ended their season. That was the game Fitz threw 3 INT's. I hope the Bills have a playoff spot clinched before week 17 but I doubt this will be the case.

The only way they dont need that game is if they somehow beat one of the Ravens, Cowboys or Patriots.   And then dont lose to either the Steelers or Broncos.

29 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Was there anyone on the Jets that played in that game and is still on their roster? Hell, Leveon Bell was on the Steelers team that got put into the playoffs because we won that game.

They might play for the spoiler factor but I'm not seeing a revenge game scenario.

Edited by theAteam
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, theAteam said:

Was there anyone on the Jets that played in that game and is still on their roster? Hell, Leveon Bell was on the Steelers team that got put into the playoffs because we won that game.

They might play for the spoiler factor but I'm not seeing a revenge game scenario.

It was what 2015, or 2016? It's possible some players were on the roster but I don't know. I am a Bills fan who lives in NJ so I have plenty of family, friends, co-workers who are Jets fans, and it has already been said to me how they hope the Bills need a week 17 win and the Jets can get payback. I am sure when the time comes if that is the scenario the NYC media will bring it up about the Jets getting payback on the Bills. I remember when the Bills ruined the Jets season it was big news here in the NY/NJ area. Jets fans were calling WFAN (local sports station) cursing out the Jets and the Bills. It will be a story here if the Bills need a week 17 win to get in.

15 minutes ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

There is a big Thursday night game with the Colts & Texans so one of those 2 teams will be getting a loss who are we rooting against ?

I thought the Texans had the easier schedule, it looks like they have the exact same strength of schedule remaining.   We spend the remainder of the season rooting against whoever loses this game. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I thought the Texans had the easier schedule, it looks like they have the exact same strength of schedule remaining.   We spend the remainder of the season rooting against whoever loses this game. 

I would root for Houston since Indy already has 4 conference losses and this would give them 5--5 in the conference.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Cleveland is not going to make the playoffs...Miami is not an easy win...and Cincinnati will probably beat them once...they have to win a game somewhere.

I mean people already are figuring out who is going to win and lose before the games are even played....doesnt work like that. I'll guarantee you at least 3 of your above predictions are wrong. It's a week to week league, every week is different and you don't know who is going to be hurt for all pf these games...

538 lists the Bills as having a 71% chance of making the playoffs, far and away the highest of any wild card team.

Indy is second with a 54% chance and nobody else is above 40%. Houston is predicted to win the AFC South with a 71% chance of making the playoffs.

Funny you start by saying "Cleveland is not going to make the playoffs...Miami is not an easy win...and Cincinnati will probably beat them once...they have to win a game somewhere."

Then go on to be critical of others saying "I mean people already are figuring out who is going to win and lose before the games are even played....doesnt work like that."

That is the point of this all. Playing with who wins that game or this game and how it impacts who gets in the playoffs. That is why ESPN has the playoff machine in the first place. Obviously no one knows what will happen. 

1 hour ago, Bronxbomber21 said:

There is a big Thursday night game with the Colts & Texans so one of those 2 teams will be getting a loss who are we rooting against ?

#3 Colts - Wins tie break over Kansas City based on head-to-head win percentage

#4 Chiefs  -  Wins tie break over Oakland based on head-to-head win percentage.

#5 Bills

#6 Houston   -  Wins tie break over Oakland based on head-to-head win percentage.

#7  Raiders

Unless you want the Colts and Texans flip flopping week to week .... I'd say the Colts 

AFC tiebreakers:

• Indianapolis is ahead of Houston in the AFC South based on head to head (1-0).
  • Houston is ahead of Oakland based on head to head (1-0).
  • Pittsburgh is ahead of Tennessee based on conference record (4-3 to the Titans' 3-4).
  • Cleveland is ahead of Jacksonville based on conference record (Browns' 4-3 to the Jaguars' 4-4).
  • Denver is ahead of the N.Y. Jets based on conference record (3-4 to the Jets' 0-6).

I think beating denver and then sneaking a win vs dallas on thanksgiving is our best hope. that way we only need 1 win between the steelers and jets. 

Baltimore is a nightmare matchup for us. best running attack in the league and a defense that feasts off turnovers. and we have never beat Brady in Foxboro. 

1 hour ago, theAteam said:

Probably not a lot of players on either team that actually played in that game. 

38 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Funny you start by saying "Cleveland is not going to make the playoffs...Miami is not an easy win...and Cincinnati will probably beat them once...they have to win a game somewhere."

Then go on to be critical of others saying "I mean people already are figuring out who is going to win and lose before the games are even played....doesnt work like that."

That is the point of this all. Playing with who wins that game or this game and how it impacts who gets in the playoffs. That is why ESPN has the playoff machine in the first place. Obviously no one knows what will happen. 

That's a valid point...i think i meant determining every games outcomes to come up with a final record is likely not effective...there are always shocking outcomes or losses that teams have down the stretch where the team buckles under pressure or plays too tight or have an inexplicable bad game, etc...and that includes the Bills...we have no idea how they will handle the pressure of the next 6 games and having expectations put on them. Its easy to fly under the radar when nothing is expected...now that there are some expectations, everything changes.

Edited by matter2003

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

That's a valid point...i think i meant determining every games outcomes to come up with a final record is likely not effective...there are always shocking outcomes or losses that teams have down the stretch where the team buckles under pressure and plays too tight...and that includes the Bills...we have no idea how they will handle the pressure of the next 6 games and having expectations put on them. Its easy to fly under the radar when nothing is expected...now that there are some expectations, everything changes.

Agreed. Hopefully Bills are not part of the shocking outcomes. Losing a week 17 game to a 3-12 Jets team to miss the playoffs. Very likely scenario they are in a win and your in game to close the season. 

2 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Agreed. Hopefully Bills are not part of the shocking outcomes. Losing a week 17 game to a 3-12 Jets team to miss the playoffs. Very likely scenario they are in a win and your in game to close the season. 

Yup....but wouldn't that be ironic if we end up losing in the same situation the Jets were in against us a few years ago with Fitz and they lost to miss the playoffs? Doesn't matter what the record is, division games are never gimme games at any point and the Bills are not so much better than the Jets that it would be a shocking upset if they lost...especially if Darnold continues his good play the last few games...

Edited by matter2003