Brandon Beane makes the offseason entertaining

Just read Sal's article from vacation and his last bullet is priceless.  Not just the back end pics for purposes of moving all around in the draft upcoming 2 drafts, but the cap space.  This season has been a pleasant surprise thus far and look forward to continued success, but the great thing about this regime under Beane, is he has the board set for a productive future between draft picks and cap space for 2020 and 2021. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/sal-vacation-got-me-thinking

• The Bills traded wide receiver Zay Jones to Oakland for a fifth round pick last week. After that deal, here’s how their future draft pick and salary cap situations look. Fans should feel good about the foundation that’s been laid, with the assets and capital going forward:

2020:  1,2,3,4,5,5,6,6,6.
2021:   1,2,3,4,5,5,6,7,7.

(The extra 7th round pick in 2021 is from Carolina for Marshall Newhouse, assuming conditions were met, but has not been confirmed).

They also have an estimated $89 million in available salary cap space next year, according to the website Sportrac.

• Like (+1) 3

Beane does it a little bit different than the Patriots, but it has a similar effect...loading up the team with draft capital that allows them to move around when they see someone they really want in the mid rounds easier.  Patriots do it by owning the compensatory pick system in ways no other team can match, Beane does it by somehow routinely trading players they are going to cut/waive for a draft pick better than any other team in the NFL.  Patriots on balance probably get slightly better picks since they can get 3rd/4th round picks by playing the system where Beane usually gets 5th or 6th(other than Tyrod which he got a 3rd for which I still cannot believe), but he is still a freaking wizard at this.

It feels so good to finally have a top tier front office in place to go along with what I feel is a top tier coach who are all on the same page and who work very well together.  They have a long term view and a plan for success and they have executed it without fail for the past 2.5 years in a way that hasn't been done since Polian was here.  We are starting to reap the rewards of that and I am so excited for the future of this team.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Just read Sal's article from vacation and his last bullet is priceless.  Not just the back end pics for purposes of moving all around in the draft upcoming 2 drafts, but the cap space.  This season has been a pleasant surprise thus far and look forward to continued success, but the great thing about this regime under Beane, is he has the board set for a productive future between draft picks and cap space for 2020 and 2021. 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/sal-vacation-got-me-thinking

• The Bills traded wide receiver Zay Jones to Oakland for a fifth round pick last week. After that deal, here’s how their future draft pick and salary cap situations look. Fans should feel good about the foundation that’s been laid, with the assets and capital going forward:

2020:  1,2,3,4,5,5,6,6,6.
2021:   1,2,3,4,5,5,6,7,7.

(The extra 7th round pick in 2021 is from Carolina for Marshall Newhouse, assuming conditions were met, but has not been confirmed).

They also have an estimated $89 million in available salary cap space next year, according to the website Sportrac

Beans is a freaking wizard, no doubt. His uncanny ability to get SOMETHING for players that are of no value to us or seemingly anybody else is amazing - Russell Bodine and Marshall Newhouse come to mind. 

In the past I (and probably many others) would say  having all of that Draft capital and FA money is great - but it doesn't amount to a hill of beans unless you actually produce something with it. Today, as I review this team and the TOTAL roster make over that has occurred in just two short seasons (we're in the third before someone pipes up) is simply incredible. With Beane at the helm and his FO staff and the people he's put in place to scout and get information along with McD and a clear synergy of vision between the two that translates to coaches and players, for the first time in more than two decades it feels like this team really IS going places and those assets will be realized into verifiable game production. 

Beane has been good to great so far as has McD when you think about how he took this team and made the playoffs the first year, re-tooled after an ugly second year, and now with still most of the games left, looks good to be making big strides forward. If it all continues, not only will this team change but the DNA of the franchise and the actual brand culture will be drastically altered as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Beans is a freaking wizard, no doubt. His uncanny ability to get SOMETHING for players that are of no value to us or seemingly anybody else is amazing - Russell Bodine and Marshall Newhouse come to mind. 

Wizard? Maybe. More likely those last 3 picks for 2020 provide a hint...

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Beane does it a little bit different than the Patriots, but it has a similar effect...loading up the team with draft capital that allows them to move around when they see someone they really want in the mid rounds easier.  Patriots do it by owning the compensatory pick system in ways no other team can match, Beane does it by somehow routinely trading players they are going to cut/waive for a draft pick better than any other team in the NFL.  Patriots on balance probably get slightly better picks since they can get 3rd/4th round picks by playing the system where Beane usually gets 5th or 6th(other than Tyrod which he got a 3rd for which I still cannot believe), but he is still a freaking wizard at this.

It feels so good to finally have a top tier front office in place to go along with what I feel is a top tier coach who are all on the same page and who work very well together.  They have a long term view and a plan for success and they have executed it without fail for the past 2.5 years in a way that hasn't been done since Polian was here.  We are starting to reap the rewards of that and I am so excited for the future of this team.

Well with the shorter term plugins he is signing we should also start getting compensation picks as well.  

2 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Well with the shorter term plugins he is signing we should also start getting compensation picks as well.  

Not if he is active at the beginning of Free Agency as he has been...New England waits until after the deadline to start signing people for the most part unless it is someone they really want like Gilmore.