Josh Allen haters: a 10 year history lesson on 1st round QBʻs

rayray808

1 minute ago, BigPappy said:

Both Mahomes and Goeff seem to be falling apart at the moment. 

Goff yes. 

Mahomes threw for 373 yards and 3 TDs yesterday...and threw his first INT--in 20 minutes time of possession. 

He's averaging 350 yards/game, with 14 TDs and 1 INT. 

Every team wishes their QB was falling apart like that. 

• Like (+1) 2

So who should be playing QB for the Bills?

5 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

Goff yes. 

Mahomes threw for 373 yards and 3 TDs yesterday...and threw his first INT--in 20 minutes time of possession. 

Shhhhhh... Nobody is supposed to be playing QB anywhere.  Especially 1st rounders.

19 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

So who should be playing QB for the Bills?

Josh Allen--I love the kid. 

But a bunch of people here are spinning tales about how Mahomes is falling apart. The team defense sure is, and his line sucks, but he's still the class of the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 2

Seems like the NFL should have a stake in making sure QBs succeed considering the product on the field.

So are the rule changes to help the offense score/QBs be more successful or to help QBs become better entertainers since the lack of talent is apparent?  

Is this why Brady is protected so much?  I mean if you looks at it from a business standpoint(MBA talking here) I’d say yes.

Ok tin foil hat off now. 

1 hour ago, BigPappy said:

Totally agree with you and I will take it a step further. I'm not sure it's just QB talent that has been lacking. In the past 5 - 10 years there has been a significant drop in the level of quality talent at all of the positions. At least in mho anyway. To go even further, we may want to hold our breaths a bit longer with Mahomes and Goeff, probably even Watson. Both Mahomes and Goeff seem to be falling apart at the moment. 

It may be that Football on a professional level may have hit its peek. I am seeing less and less parents allowing their kids to play the game as youngsters or even at the HS levels. The lack of talent getting fed into the system due to all the CTE fears (rightfully so) and long term health issues to the body the players have as they age is having an effect on parents decision to allow their kids to play.

I didn't include Goff in my talk about elite QB's and that was on purpose. I don't think he's elite and I doubt he ever will be.

1 hour ago, Sundancer said:

Goff yes. 

Mahomes gets a LOT of yards from screens and deep balls. I don't see a lot of the intermediate passing game from him 15-25 air yards 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Interesting...yes. Very good ?. I love those quick, 2 or 3 word judgements that encapsulate all those QBs’ careers. All in an attempt to defend Josh Allen apparently? ? who’da thunk it?

Actual Bills fan thunk it,  that would be understandably unfamiliar territory for you, but I digress,  Go Bills!!!!

5 hours ago, timekills17 said:

I'm not sure whether to give you credit for being obstinate, or pity you with the "whoosh" gif.

Let's pretend it's the second one, and I'll try and explain.

Although the quick judgements for the recent QBs are clearly not the end of the story, the comments on those that entered 2014 and earlier are pretty accurate and damning (minus Teddy, perhaps.) Thus, taken holistically, it is a fair representation on the dearth of good QBs in the league.

We tend to lament the poor offensive line influx in recent years. Is it the lack of OL talent, or the lack of QB talent? Or - more likely - do both affect each other?

Less to do with talent I think and more to do with instant gratification approach to thinking college QBs are a finished product and bandaid for teams with existing systemic org failure.

Most QBs need good NFL coaching and time to develop and adapt to NFL speed and complex defenses. That happens best in stable franchises with solid supporting casts.

Credit Allen for surviving last year because throwing him behind that line, with that supporting cast was not the recipe for developing a QB.

I have seen far too many good college QBs destroyed behind porous o-lines playing for franchises that are in constant upheaval.

Keep a steady course, be patient, provide a solid supporting cast, and we have a better chance at developing a longer term solution at QB than if we continually cycle thru prospects hoping to luck upon an NFL-ready QB.

7 hours ago, MJS said:

The hope is that the past couple of drafts have finally brought some good QB's into the league to replace the elites who are on their death beds (Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, Rivers, even Rodgers who is already 35 and has been dealing with injuries the past couple years.)

When those guys go out there's going to be a big gap until the next crop of elites can get to that next level. Looks like Mahomes and Watson are the young guns, with Wilson already established. Hope Josh Allen can join the ranks of the up and comer elites.

The lack of QB talent might be another reason why Brady can still win games at his old age, because there's no opposing QB's that are good enough to beat him.

There actually isn't a "lack of QB talent" in more recent years.  The OP makes it seem the talent is much less than it is because he's dismissed players like Luck and Newton because of how much they suffered injuries, and he didn't even consider the good/great younger QBs who have come from outside the first round.

The only 2 truly great QB drafts since the merger (1970) were 1983 and 2004.  1983 produced 3 HOFers plus Ken O'Brien who was a decent starter for several years.  2004 produced three potential HOFers plus the decent starter Matt Schaub.  Most drafts since the merger in 1970 have produced only 1 or none successful NFL QBs.  Since the 2004 draft class, 2005 produced  Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers; 2006 produced Jay Cutler; 2008 produced Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco; 2009 produced Matthew Stafford; 2011 produced Cam Newton; and 2012 produced Andrew Luck.  Moreover, recent drafts have produced successful -- even great -- QBs outside of the first round: Dalton in 2011; Wilson, Foles, and Cousins in 2012; Carr in 2014; and Brissett and Prescott in 2016.

There seems to have been a talent dip among QBs between 2013-2015, but 2016 and 2017 promise a talent resurgence.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Actual Bills fan thunk it,  that would be understandably unfamiliar territory for you, but I digress,  Go Bills!!!!

No sorry, but I encourage you to try again. Every borderline insane opinion is not a valid “bills’ fan” let’s go buffalo-approved one just because they try to paint an Allen compliment in through the back door.

14 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No the OP is right... Mahomes has lost 6 games now in his career.  He must be aweful don’t trust that fake news 111 passer rating 

Truly his reckoning is upon him. 

56 minutes ago, SoTier said:

There actually isn't a "lack of QB talent" in more recent years.  The OP makes it seem the talent is much less than it is because he's dismissed players like Luck and Newton because of how much they suffered injuries, and he didn't even consider the good/great younger QBs who have come from outside the first round.

The only 2 truly great QB drafts since the merger (1970) were 1983 and 2004.  1983 produced 3 HOFers plus Ken O'Brien who was a decent starter for several years.  2004 produced three potential HOFers plus the decent starter Matt Schaub.  Most drafts since the merger in 1970 have produced only 1 or none successful NFL QBs.  Since the 2004 draft class, 2005 produced  Alex Smith and Aaron Rodgers; 2006 produced Jay Cutler; 2008 produced Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco; 2009 produced Matthew Stafford; 2011 produced Cam Newton; and 2012 produced Andrew Luck.  Moreover, recent drafts have produced successful -- even great -- QBs outside of the first round: Dalton in 2011; Wilson, Foles, and Cousins in 2012; Carr in 2014; and Brissett and Prescott in 2016.

There seems to have been a talent dip among QBs between 2013-2015, but 2016 and 2017 promise a talent resurgence.

The OP was looking at the past 10 years. Most of your post is regarding drafts before then.

There is absolutely a lack of talent at QB in the NFL.

11 hours ago, rayray808 said:

Love him or hate him... he is our QB. Although his "hero ball" turnovers tend to upset some, and yet his 4th quarter comeback/grit/off field polish tend to make others believe, we still seem to have a LOVE or HATE towards Josh Allen on this thread.

Here is are 1st round QBʻs in the last 10 years along with where they are at as of today... hopefully this puts things into perspective for those on both extreme sides of Allen thus far:

What's Your Point?  Also, since your OP was the ONLY post on this thread, does it encapsulate both the LOVE and the HATE towards Josh Allen on this thread?

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No the OP is right... Mahomes has lost 6 games now in his career.  He must be aweful don’t trust that fake news 111 passer rating 

He also lost the AFC Championship game to the Patriots. Guy is a joke.

• Haha (+1) 2