Josh Allen haters: a 10 year history lesson on 1st round QBʻs

rayray808

I Don't LOVE or HATE Josh Allen.

I judge a QB by 1 criteria only.  Can we win with him?  Is he a team leader?  Does the team performs a level geater than the sum of it's parts when he is in? Does he perform well when the chips are down? Does he make mistakes to blow games?

So far this season so good.  What first round QBs have or have not done in the past is irrelevant IMHO.

There are 10 starting qbs I'd rather have than Allen right now and many of those guys are geriatrics.  Curious how many you guys would rather have than Allen right now.  Age is not a factor , just count how many qbs you would rather have start rest of the year  I even counted Big Ben even though he is obviously out and Brees who will be back

16 hours ago, rayray808 said:

3. Sam Darnold, USC, Jets - MONO BUT SHOWS PROMISE

Phew.  682 posts.  I'm free to point out that you're an idiot simply for typing out "MONO BUT SHOWS PROMISE" as though it's groundbreaking analysis.  :lol:

4 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I mean this honestly. When will allowed to want more from Allen?  Am I bad fan because I want our highest drafted qb to have more tds than ints?

Really! And I'm actually coming around on Allen. But wasn't Kyler Murray a "project" QB? He's out there slinging it around left and right. At some point, we need to see that from Allen or he's gonna be mid tier. He's not a bust. He's not terrible. He does a ton of good things that make you root for the guy. But there's either gonna be a significant increase in production or there won't. Again, I love the guy as a competitor, but I want to see more. I suppose I'm also a bad fan.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MR8 said:

I pulled the first 5 years passing statistics of the 30 Quarterbacks drafted since 2010 and put them in a spreadsheet for a statistical look of all the QBs taken there.

So I am going to post some stats that I thought were important but I want to open it up to everyone, lemme know what stats you want, or if you want the spreadsheet I am more than willing to share it.

Why do you think those stats are important?

W/L % is really not a QB stat. 

Completion percentage is important, but it matters if a guy is checking it down or taking shots downfield...so YPA are important.

TD and INT are, but why just passing TD and not total TD?  And of course, the ratio to TD to INT may be important.

Passing yards are not correlated to winning, except that there seems to be a "floor" of about 200-220 ypg where if a QB isn't achieving those he can't make it.

Anyway, if you wish to keep posting these fine, but it would help if you could change the formatting to single-space between each name.

3 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Phew.  682 posts.  I'm free to point out that you're an idiot simply for typing out "MONO BUT SHOWS PROMISE" as though it's groundbreaking analysis.  :lol:

That one actually made me laugh pretty hard.  It’s like a riddle that I feel like I can solve but it’s just....out......of...reach. 

I’ve tried rearranging the letters but can only come up with MONO BUT SHOWS PROMISE and ONO’S BUT SHOWS IROMSE and I don’t know what IROMSE means.  It’s maddening. 

5 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

If all the players were released into a pool and were drafted again, Mahomes would go 1st overall.

Justifiably so.

Quite true. I wonder if there was EVER a year where the top 5 would still go 1-5 after 5 years of play?  I doubt it....it’s always a crap shoot. 

16 hours ago, downunderbill said:

I don't think many people think he's a finished product at all, far from it, but his career is 16 games old. The pessimists, or realists as you like to call your selves, are the same as the more optimistic members just at different ends of the spectrum.

In the end it's just entertainment, the Bills are 4-1, and some choose to enjoy the game and the Bills. 

His pessimism, as you like to call it, is realism. And whatever else it is, it's not even close to the end of the spectrum, That would be the relatively few who believe he's very unlikely to ever be a decent QB. That's pessimism.

19 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Interesting...yes. Very good ?. I love those quick, 2 or 3 word judgements that encapsulate all those QBs’ careers. All in an attempt to defend Josh Allen apparently? ? who’da thunk it?

19 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Pretty accurate though.  It must hurt that it goes against your dislike for Allen.

Pretty accurate? Hardly. Some are pretty close, but most are personal, short-term and subjective. 

Look at his take on Bridgewater. "WINNING GAMES AS BACK UP BUT BREES WILL BE BACK." Yeah, but you could just as correctly say, "Showing some signs he could be a franchise guy down the road. Too early to say, but it's definitely possible. Could he replace Brees in a couple of years or will he refuse to re-sign and look elsewhere?"

Or Mariota: "BENCHED TODAY FOR TANNAHANZ." Yes, but short-term and misleading. You could just as reasonably say something like, "He is going to have to show himself as a consistent starter soon, or he may not be perceived as one. What he does the rest of the year will be crucial."

Or Goff: "FOLDING LIKE A LAWN CHAIR WEEK BY WEEK." That's supposed to sum up Goff? Pathetic. More like "Has shown he can be excellent for long periods of time. The offense is having problems early this year, though they're still scoring points, but Goff needs to get it together."

These are mostly very pessimistic, apparently to make Allen look better in contrast.

And Allen won't look better or worse in contrast. You need to look at him himself. That's what will matter. Putting down other QBs, or praising them for that matter, won't affect how Allen is viewed. How he plays is the only thing that will matter. So far he's improving. But needs to improve a lot more. Which is very very reasonable for a QB as young as he is. 

Time will tell.

And time will tell is not pessimism, though it may feel that way for those looking for ways to inflate perceptions.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, MR8 said:

I pulled the first 5 years passing statistics of the 30 Quarterbacks drafted since 2010 and put them in a spreadsheet for a statistical look of all the QBs taken there.

So I am going to post some stats that I thought were important but I want to open it up to everyone, lemme know what stats you want, or if you want the spreadsheet I am more than willing to share it.

YEAR 1

I decided to make 6 starts or more their rookie season, it's just under half but enough to get a bit of a look at a QB. If you'd like me to alter the data another way I can... the guys who were weeded out because of insufficient starts: Daniel Jones (4), Tim Tebow (3), Paxton Lynch (2), Johnny Manziel (2), Patrick Mahomes (1), Dwayne Haskins (0), Jake Locker (0)

What I am going to post is the top 10 at each of the following Category with Allen inserted in (If he's not in the top 10), and the Average of all QBs.

This is an interesting idea, but I wonder if you could edit these first few paragraphs so we can better understand what you're doing.

Are these the stats for each guy's first six games of their rookie year? The whole rookie year? The first 16 games they played? The first five years? What?

Edited by Thurman#1

31 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

That one actually made me laugh pretty hard.  It’s like a riddle that I feel like I can solve but it’s just....out......of...reach. 

I’ve tried rearranging the letters but can only come up with MONO BUT SHOWS PROMISE and ONO’S BUT SHOWS IROMSE and I don’t know what IROMSE means.  It’s maddening. 

I came up with "NO BUM TO WISH SORE MOPS" which at least uses words, but doesn't make much sense

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

This is an interesting idea, but I wonder if you could edit these first few paragraphs so we can better understand what you're doing.

Are these the stats for each guy's first six games of their rookie year? The whole rookie year? The first 16 games they played? The first five years? What?

Entirety of the rookie season with a minimum of 6 game started is what I was shooting for

You can flame on the Thread all you’d like but I think it’s interesting to see the long list of ‘recently’ drafted QBs and their stats. I’ve said it for a while now; the league is in for a major change when Brady, Brees, Rodgers and possibly throw in Stafford, Rivers, and Ryan exit. They’ve already seen Luck retire prematurely. After that, it looks like Winter is Coming.

On 10/14/2019 at 8:07 AM, Sundancer said:

Goff yes. 

Mahomes threw for 373 yards and 3 TDs yesterday...and threw his first INT--in 20 minutes time of possession. 

He's averaging 350 yards/game, with 14 TDs and 1 INT. 

Every team wishes their QB was falling apart like that. 

My point is, they are figuring out his game. Yes he is getting the yards but a lot of it is YAC with short routes right now. Yes there is the occasional long ball but not as often as before. And he is getting banged around A LOT. His one ankle right now is so messed up he can barely play on it. His o-line is not holding together that well. As for Goeff, i see your point, that he isn't elite, but i will add the word.....yet because he is still very quite good. better than 75% of the QB's in the league right now.

Edited by BigPappy