How da hell does this happen in America?

3 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

Kind of like my future brother in-law many

many years ago. He totaled his Mustang and said he swerved to avoid hitting a cat. Even as a kid I didn’t believe him.  So they swerved to avoid an animal and ended up on a small road?  Um yeah....ok. ?

Yeah. Swerving to avoid an animal and just continued down the small road to another country. Then, they were tossed in a gulag. Seems plausible. ?

By ExiledInIllinois

Atatiana Jefferson pointed gun at window before Fort Worth officer killed her, nephew told authorities

Tragic and she acted legally, but this makes it pretty much impossible to convict the cop of murder.

I guess this is how,

poor judgement by all involved leads to a tragedy

26 minutes ago, B-Man said:

By ExiledInIllinois

Atatiana Jefferson pointed gun at window before Fort Worth officer killed her, nephew told authorities

Tragic and she acted legally, but this makes it pretty much impossible to convict the cop of murder.

I guess this is how,

poor judgement by all involved leads to a tragedy

Yeah I just heard that, and dont fault her for pulling a gun when she did. This all could have been avoided if the officer just identified himself. But yeah, this makes a murder conviction seem less likely imo

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.  I lived in Oakland for 5 years.  The crazy things we experienced, heard/saw in the middle of the night is the reason we left.  I can't tell you the number of times the wife and I walked around our house in the middle of the night looking out our windows each with of us with a glock locked and loaded in our hands.  

We recorded from our security cam two cops looking in our window from our front porch.   Shining a flashlight in our window after we asked our security monitoring company to call the cops 14 hours before that!!  Yes they showed up 14 hours after the alarm went off and we reported it.  Had I been in the window with Glock in hand who knows what might have happened.  

Just now, Gary M said:

He sure neutralized the threat in a F.Worth home with an open door at 2 in the morning.

That's why he resigned and they are pressing murder charges. /smh

LMAO... I think there is a telephone pole you need to go neutralize when driving down the road.

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

He sure neutralized the threat in a F.Worth home with an open door at 2 in the morning.

That's why he resigned and they are pressing murder charges. /smh

LMAO... I think there is a telephone pole you need to go neutralize when driving down the road.

giphy.gif

Got a handgun?  Be careful defending your castle... It just may be a cop sneaking around the back.  Looks like having a gun in the house got her "death by cop."

Geeze... Hope the real bad guys aren't paying attention... Going to pretend they are the police.

"...The 28-year-old woman was playing video games with her nephew in the back bedroom of the home when they heard noises coming from outside, the document says.

She then pulled her handgun from her purse, her nephew told police, and raised it. She was pointing it toward the window when she was shot and fell to the ground.

It's unclear how much time passed before Jefferson was shot or whether the nephew heard the officer's voice..."

9 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

How da hell ! 

That's how.  Read above.  Yikes.  When you hear something out your bedroom window (that's secured by a fence)... You should always shout: " Whooo is it?" Before digging for your revolver.

Wow... This clown set back "defending your castle" back to the stone age by just not ringing, knocking & going through the front door saying: "Hello! THIS IS THE POLICE."  Next time grab a rock.  Forget the firearm.

What's better, guns or no guns?  In this case, no guns.

On 10/16/2019 at 2:12 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Got a handgun?  Be careful defending your castle... It just may be a cop sneaking around the back.  Looks like having a gun in the house got her "death by cop."

Geeze... Hope the real bad guys aren't paying attention... Going to pretend they are the police.

"...The 28-year-old woman was playing video games with her nephew in the back bedroom of the home when they heard noises coming from outside, the document says.

She then pulled her handgun from her purse, her nephew told police, and raised it. She was pointing it toward the window when she was shot and fell to the ground.

It's unclear how much time passed before Jefferson was shot or whether the nephew heard the officer's voice..."

That's how.  Read above.  Yikes.  When you hear something out your bedroom window (that's secured by a fence)... You should always shout: " Whooo is it?" Before digging for your revolver.

Wow... This clown set back "defending your castle" back to the stone age by just not ringing, knocking & going through the front door saying: "Hello! THIS IS THE POLICE."  Next time grab a rock.  Forget the firearm.

What's better, guns or no guns?  In this case, no guns.

I think the lesson here is to slow walk the response to phone calls. Settle down, take some time, use the loudspeaker from the relative safety of the car.  This will remove any confusion from the process, and keep both the public and the police safe. Also, the media will be able to accurately report on a story instead of running with the most inflammatory version possible. 

43 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think the lesson here is to slow walk the response to phone calls. Settle down, take some time, use the loudspeaker from the relative safety of the car.  This will remove any confusion from the process, and keep both the public and the police safe. Also, the media will be able to accurately report on a story instead of running with the most inflammatory version possible. 

Yeah.  And wake up the whole neighborhood too.

How about: "Don't call the police NO matter what!" Go it alone... People have the ability.  How about walk your lazy azz (if you're the neighborly type) over and give a wellness shout out?  Why in the world do people call police?

True story:  In 2000, my sister & young niece were staying at my house watching my 2 year old son when we went to Mexico for my BiL's wedding... He married a Mexican woman.  Anyway, long story short... My sister is using the oven and the thermocouple goes out and oven stays on going to +500° and beyond.  After calling boyfriend in Buffalo... She can't shut gas off... Can't pull stove away, too hot and since I have a 2 year old, the anti-tip/topple device is engaged.  Try telling a hysterical woman who's afraid of burning down here brother's new house how to move the stove away to shut gas off.  Okay, anyway... She called the cops.  LMAO... They had to radio back-up.  One's that preferably has welding gloves! They got gas shut off.  LoL... Our stove was in middle of kitchen when we got back... LoL...

FF to 2019...Let the house burn.  I got insurance. J/K... Or just call fire department, they handle that stuff and don't have guns.

Also... Back to topic. When is defending your castle, even know you left both front and back doors open, inflammatory? Let's blame the victim here.  Everybody knows, lock your doors.  Keeps busy body neighbors like Mrs.Kravitz from calling the PoPo... Who was watching her flank with a well placed: "Whooty WHO!"  Some neighborhood that is!

Anyway... Police don't need to take guns away... The government will take them when they shoot you dead!

20 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah.  And wake up the whole neighborhood too.

How about: "Don't call the police NO matter what!" Go it alone... People have the ability.  How about walk your lazy azz (if you're the neighborly type) over and give a wellness shout out?  Why in the world do people call police?

True story:  In 2000, my sister & young niece were staying at my house watching my 2 year old son when we went to Mexico for my BiL's wedding... He married a Mexican woman.  Anyway, long story short... My sister is using the oven and the thermocouple goes out and oven stays on going to +500° and beyond.  After calling boyfriend in Buffalo... She can't shut gas off... Can't pull stove away, too hot and since I have a 2 year old, the anti-tip/topple device is engaged.  Try telling a hysterical woman who's afraid of burning down here brother's new house how to move the stove away to shut gas off.  Okay, anyway... She called the cops.  LMAO... They had to radio back-up.  One's that preferably has welding gloves! They got gas shut off.  LoL... Our stove was in middle of kitchen when we got back... LoL...

FF to 2019...Let the house burn.  I got insurance. J/K... Or just call fire department, they handle that stuff and don't have guns.

Also... Back to topic. When is defending your castle, even know you left both front and back doors open, inflammatory? Let's blame the victim here.  Everybody knows, lock your doors.  Keeps busy body neighbors like Mrs.Kravitz from calling the PoPo... Who was watching her flank with a well placed: "Whooty WHO!"  Some neighborhood that is!

Anyway... Police don't need to take guns away... The government will take them when they shoot you dead!

You've managed to spin a tale that starts with a defective thermocoupler, a hot single mom in a tasteful tube top and cutoff shorts heroically trying to save her child, a quick response by first responders while you are recklessly drinking shots of tequila out of the belly buttons of Mexican waitresses and evolves into a cautionary tale of the 911 system? 

In or about 2005, my son was choking on a piece of candy. I called 911, requested assistance but specificied neither fire nor police, and continued working trying to clear the obstruction.  Well, we cleared his airway (or perhaps he just had an overload of chocolate and saliva) and all was well. The 911 system took the first responders to the wrong address, and about 30 minutes later they called to inquire where we lived. I shared my thoughts on the service provided, forcefully, and suggested they needed to do better, aggressively. 

Nearly 15 years later, I'd follow exactly the same process, though I'd be clear on where exactly the first responder would need to respond to. Sometimes luck is a good thing.

True, I would take a chance that the individual who came out would not want to cleave my skull with an axe, or sneak into my backyard and fire upon me as I stood in my kitchen.  Imo, however, the rewards outweigh the risk, and it's not even close. It's been estimated there are approximately 240m 911 calls per year, and I'm sure even you would agree that the vast majority do not end up as the horrible incident in Texas ended. 

Finally, your last paragraph about GGV (Government Gone Wild!) seems to be the argument that gun rights advocates offer when pointing to the need for personal ownership of firearms. I'll consider that. 

Oh--and I haven't seen anyone blaming the victim, where did you see that? 

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

• 3 months later...

Trump attacks federal judge, prosecutors in Twitter tirade defending Roger Stone

ZQ6GZSCND4I6VFT34B2NGAWH2Q.jpg

The timing of the online attack prompted many to accuse President Trump of attempting to intimidate U.S. District Judge Amy Berman Jackson and secure a more lenient sentence for his longtime confidant Roger Stone.

Lock Stone Up! 

Lock Stone Up! 

On 10/15/2019 at 8:29 AM, ALF said:

Still more lack of common sense

British holidaymakers 'traumatised' after arrest at US border

A British couple say they have been detained in the US after accidentally crossing the border from Canada.

David Connors, 30, and his wife Eileen, 24, say they are being held in Pennsylvania with their three-month-old baby and are "traumatised".

They say were driving with relatives on 3 October when, to avoid an animal, they veered onto a small road.

A police officer then pulled them over, told them they were in the US state of Washington and arrested them.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-50050467

I'm way late to this, but how TF did they get pulled over in Washington state and end up being held in Pennsylvania? 

Walter M. Shaub Jr., the former head of the Office of Government Ethics, likened Tuesday’s actions to those in countries with authoritarian regimes.

“A corrupt authoritarian and his henchmen are wielding the Justice Department as a shield for friends and a sword for political rivals,” Mr. Shaub said Wednesday in a Twitter post. “It is impossible to overstate the danger.”

Oh no! The evil despot Trump is getting rid of people working for him who are "resisting"; actively trying to defeat his agenda! We're all doomed! Democracy is in shambles! The Russians are coming! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!1111eleventyone

Edited by Koko78
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

Oh no! The evil despot Trump is getting rid of people working for him who are "resisting"; actively trying to defeat his agenda! We're all doomed! Democracy is in shambles! The Russians are coming! WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!1111eleventyone

You do Gleeful Gator very well.

32 minutes ago, Gary Busey said:

Koko's Greatest Hits

"eleventyone"

"TWO SCOOPS"

More annoying than row 33

C'mon champ, eventually you're bound to come up with your own material - or even an original thought. I believe in you!