40 years since an NFL game has been played in wonderful silence!

Stallions

3 hours ago, wagon127 said:

The announcers are just back ground noise. I only listen to them when i need to, to identify players and such. I dont think I would like a game without any commentary whatsoever. Nothing dumber than when they do "keys to the game." 

local radio has always been better for announcing player changes and formations, TV assumes we can see all this on our own

and TV crews are national, lacking deep knowledge of the workings of either team

15 hours ago, The Dean said:

I watch most Bills games with no sound at all (from that game, anyway) as the bar I go to has the Jags on the sound system most weeks. Doesn't hamper my enjoyment one bit.

And I often watch non-Bills games muted, so I can listen to music while I watch.

Where do you go to find Jags fans? I thought they were just a myth, like Bigfoot, or the female *****.

Edit: Apparently this mythical phenomenon of women experiencing a climax of sorts is so taboo it may not be mentioned on these boards. My apologies.

Edited by Rob's House

Just now, Stallions said:

I love when they bring on the "NFL Rules Analyst" when a call is reviewed.  They know NOTHING.  It's as if they were asleep somewhere and got a slap in the face to SAY SOMETHING!

they state the rule and then the replay crew does with it whatever it whimsically wants to make up irrespective of the obvious play we have now watched 23 times

I remember watching that game for a few minutes. I didn’t care about the game so it didn’t really make much of an impression on me. Although what little I watched, I watched with my father, whose been gone for over 15 years. So thank you for reminding me, because it triggered a memory of my father, and for that I am grateful. 

1 minute ago, Stallions said:

Wonderful analysis!

Offer on the table to pay me $25,000,000 and I can be wrong every time....

Growing up the wise older folk would say “the ref was right there to make the call” so I guess that was sufficient reason to never doubt a call until replay 

6 hours ago, skibum said:

I was watching a random game about 10 years ago, during which the announcers' mics went dead for a solid 5-10 minutes. You could still hear the crowd noise and the players yelling, etc. - all the sounds of the game, just no knuckleheads talking about it incessantly. It was a great experience. 

please see my post earlier in this thread

4 hours ago, Rob's House said:

Where do you go to find Jags fans? I thought they were just a myth, like Bigfoot, or the female *****.

Edit: Apparently this mythical phenomenon of women experiencing a climax of sorts is so taboo it may not be mentioned on these boards. My apologies.

I know it seems weird. Well it does to me, anyway. But the Jags seem to be developing a small devoted fan base down here. Just don't expect to find a Jag's bar outside of Northeast Florida.

It is amazing when you consider how much announcers add to the viewing experience. Most of the time they’re just describing what were already watching or telling us what to think so you would think it would be more annoying than enhancing.

4 minutes ago, Stallions said:

Out of all the announcers in the land why did they select him for MNF??  Maybe a nice man but terrible as an analyst.

Yet he is still way better than Tasker.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

It is amazing when you consider how much announcers add to the viewing experience. Most of the time they’re just describing what were already watching or telling us what to think so you would think it would be more annoying than enhancing.

For me it is way more annoying than helping 

helping is almost nonexistent for fans who know the rosters and a little stats background

then again what would we have done without Dierdorf excitedly telling us an NFL playoff game cannot end in a tie, about 8 times that one game.......