40 years since an NFL game has been played in wonderful silence!

Stallions

2 hours ago, Sundancer said:

It was a media conspiracy that the game was terrible? 

If it was so great and would drive up revenue, do you really think the NFL wouldn't be doing it every game? The NFL/networks are about the money, not employing 3 reporters and all the spotters. 

Most people leave the volume up for NFL games for a reason. The announcers matter. 

Today the experience could be better with on screen graphics, but that 1980 game was painful. 

it was a media logrolling exercise to 100 percent attack the game without announcers, the articles were written before the game started

they were protecting all their media buddies, now we have 6 guys on a panel and none have anything useful to say

i would very much enjoy the ability to keep the crowd noise and filter out bad announcers completely

I watch most Bills games with no sound at all (from that game, anyway) as the bar I go to has the Jags on the sound system most weeks. Doesn't hamper my enjoyment one bit.

And I often watch non-Bills games muted, so I can listen to music while I watch.

I can remember that game quite well. As a 12 year old watching I became quickly confused at what the situation was. This was before regular graphics on the screen that STAYED there. So you would see a flash of the score and the down and distance but not hear it unless it was the stadium announcer. So hard to keep track.  In addition, commentators of this era were pretty good at calling the games (for the most part) some of the NFL guys from this era did the games on radio and were very descriptive with their words for an audience that couldn't see the game. So no commentary was a huge loss for the broadcast and a really bad idea.  Now by todays standards with all the extras we have it might work and as others have mentioned, with some of the terrible commentators and colour guys it might be a relief!

13 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

I can remember that game quite well. As a 12 year old watching I became quickly confused at what the situation was. This was before regular graphics on the screen that STAYED there. So you would see a flash of the score and the down and distance but not hear it unless it was the stadium announcer. So hard to keep track.  In addition, commentators of this era were pretty good at calling the games (for the most part) some of the NFL guys from this era did the games on radio and were very descriptive with their words for an audience that couldn't see the game. So no commentary was a huge loss for the broadcast and a really bad idea.  Now by todays standards with all the extras we have it might work and as others have mentioned, with some of the terrible commentators and colour guys it might be a relief!

good points

you were 12 back then and felt that announcers were helping you figure things out, as you aged you realized that this wasn’t necessarily so

1 minute ago, nucci said:

with all the info on the screen and refs having audio, there is not a need for broadcasters to tell me what I just saw

I want the ability to tune out one or two or three or four announcers during games

the worst is the NBA which takes away half the game screen for totally useless interviews for the entire first minute of quarters

“coach, what can you do to win?”

”ummmm.... try to stop them from scoring...”

I’m enjoying watching Habs games in French because I can pick out the names and don’t have to comprehend inane stuff that the announcers repeat all game long, year after year

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

I also don't need a broadcaster to tell me..."that's close...depends on the spot....could go either way"

they need irrefutable proof to overturn the call...

whatever....... this again..

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

No.  The game between the Bills and Chargers in BFLo when the stadium lost power.  It wasn't the whole game... But a blessing!

I forget which year.

Ooops... I was referring to the in game experience.

Yeah.   I remember a game - not so many years ago - where there the stadium lost power due to a mylar balloon causing a short between power lines near a transformer outside the stadium.    Not sure if it was the game you are talking about or not.     But it was interesting watching the game with no sound other than the people around you.   You had to pay close attention to see what was going on.   You had to watch the refs hand signals to know what the penalties were.   And you had to guess how much time was left on the clock because nobody but the refs had any idea as far as I could tell.

• Like (+1) 1

I was watching a random game about 10 years ago, during which the announcers' mics went dead for a solid 5-10 minutes. You could still hear the crowd noise and the players yelling, etc. - all the sounds of the game, just no knuckleheads talking about it incessantly. It was a great experience. 

1 hour ago, PolishDave said:

Yeah.   I remember a game - not so many years ago - where there the stadium lost power due to a mylar balloon causing a short between power lines near a transformer outside the stadium.    Not sure if it was the game you are talking about or not.     But it was interesting watching the game with no sound other than the people around you.   You had to pay close attention to see what was going on.   You had to watch the refs hand signals to know what the penalties were.   And you had to guess how much time was left on the clock because nobody but the refs had any idea as far as I could tell.

Like a high school game.  Then the power came on in 2nd half and they crammed every freaking ad in.  It was horrible.  Nice if it could have stayed no power.  Bills win too!

• Like (+1) 1