Week 7: Dolphins at Bills (-17)

YoloinOhio

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you have the time, the "Lo Down" with 'Zo thing I linked has some good thoughts from him on what it's like to play on a losing team, from his years with Washington.

My $0.02 from what I've seen, is that I don't think the Dolphins are looking like a team that's going through the motions.  They seem to be decently coached.  They wouldn't have been able to come back as they did at the end of the Washington game if they were just going through the motions.  We can out play them but if we hand them the game, they'll take it.  Now Denver?  Denver on Thursday night, after about the 1st Q, that was a team that was just going through the motions.  It was pitiful to watch.

It all depends upon the state of the stuff between Josh Allen's ears. 

Hopefully coaches can use Fitzy as a cautionary example for a young QB: a guy who has undeniable talent for the game and the "it" thing, the ability to rally and motivate guys, but who was never able to build a career as a starter despite getting several real chances because he can't learn to rein in his "cowboy" gene to match his actual throwing abilities.

....quick question....would it surprise you if Lorax said, " ok one more year if they'll have me"?.......what would be your call?...............

2 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

good memory. it was week 10 of the 2014 season. packers coming out of a bye at home sitting on a 5-3 record. they went on to finish 12-4 losing to the seahawks in the conf. championship.

I don't believe too many other times have occurred, but week 10 and blowing the opponent out 42-0 in the first half and being AR who was already an established franchise QB. you sit him to avoid any risk of injury, makes sense.

bills coming off a bye at 4-1 facing a pretty weak division opponent could have a chance at scoring some points in the first half and holding the fins to little or no points, a blowout could happen?

but the big difference between the GB game and tomorrows game is we are looking at a young team with a young QB who has yet to establish his position and needs all the game time experience he can get. so maybe, one day down the road after he may of established himself, say like an AR and given the opportunity to blow out an opponent 42-0 in the first half, he too can take the bench?

in my opinion JA should and will play all 4 Quarters tomorrow regardless of score as he needs all the game experience he can get week in and week out.

I seriously doubt this team can match that. Heck, that highlight half made the Pats/Fins performance look pathetic. It really was a loaded Offense with a HOF QB destroying a demoralized division rival. We may never see another half of football like that for a while. 

As for this Sunday... I could see Allen along with some other critical starters and guys playing through injuries getting pulled if we are up by 21+ going into the 4th quarter. Basically, pull Allen, Brown, etc and just play ball control O till the game ends. 

7 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Order of priority:

1.  Win

2.  Stay healthy

3.  Mix in backups, save stars

4.  Win big

You mean it’s not about josh getting 300+ passing yards and Oliver a bunch of sacks???

3 hours ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

good memory. it was week 10 of the 2014 season. packers coming out of a bye at home sitting on a 5-3 record. they went on to finish 12-4 losing to the seahawks in the conf. championship.

I don't believe too many other times have occurred, but week 10 and blowing the opponent out 42-0 in the first half and being AR who was already an established franchise QB. you sit him to avoid any risk of injury, makes sense.

bills coming off a bye at 4-1 facing a pretty weak division opponent could have a chance at scoring some points in the first half and holding the fins to little or no points, a blowout could happen?

but the big difference between the GB game and tomorrows game is we are looking at a young team with a young QB who has yet to establish his position and needs all the game time experience he can get. so maybe, one day down the road after he may of established himself, say like an AR and given the opportunity to blow out an opponent 42-0 in the first half, he too can take the bench?

in my opinion JA should and will play all 4 Quarters tomorrow regardless of score as he needs all the game experience he can get week in and week out.

and who the heck is going to go up to Josh and tell him " hey kid we are sittin' ya " " to keep you healthy or something something. 
he does need all the reps he can get.

if winning perhaps he can learn to play the smart and patient game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

I see lots of FG’s and not a lot of TD’s. We just aren’t explosive.

Bills 22 - 6

I believe the Bills are 10/14 on RZ trips, indicating that they score touchdowns. However the problem lies with not turning the ball over before getting there. They really haven't had too much trouble moving the ball though, save for the 3rd quarter. 

1 minute ago, FLbills said:

I believe the Bills are 10/14 on RZ trips, indicating that they score touchdowns. However the problem lies with not turning the ball over before getting there. They really haven't had too much trouble moving the ball though, save for the 3rd quarter. 

They do score TD’s, just not long TD’s. They don’t make many big plays. Seeing as the red zone is only the 20 and FG range is the 35-40, that stat is a little misleading.

10 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

They do score TD’s, just not long TD’s. They don’t make many big plays. Seeing as the red zone is only the 20 and FG range is the 35-40, that stat is a little misleading.

Not misleading at all, it’s exactly what it is. How often they score TDs when the offense is at the opposing 20 yard line and in. Who the heck thinks red zone percentage indicates anything else? 

11 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

66 (11 TD total) points by way of touchdowns, 10 inside the RZ. 18 (6 FG) points from FG, 10 XP converted. The TD's are almost double the FG's. While the plays may not be explosive, they are touchdowns none the less. I tend to think this trend will continue against the squids... just my .02

With everyone back form injury, I am absolutely expecting a blowout win. Miami is among the worst defenses in the league, plus they are beat up. They can't stop the pass. They can't stop the run.  In fact, there is no excuse for not hanging 30-40pts on this JV team. 

48 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I forgot we got extra points for long ones.

Your ability to miss a point is breathtaking.

41 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not misleading at all, it’s exactly what it is. How often they score TDs when the offense is at the opposing 20 yard line and in. Who the heck thinks red zone percentage indicates anything else? 

We are 25th in points scored in the NFL. Who cares if our RZ percentage is great if we A. Don’t score when we aren’t within the red zone and B. Don’t get to the red zone a lot.

It’s misleading because to point to our red zone efficiency to say we are good at scoring is inaccurate and wrong. 

35 minutes ago, FLbills said:

66 (11 TD total) points by way of touchdowns, 10 inside the RZ. 18 (6 FG) points from FG, 10 XP converted. The TD's are almost double the FG's. While the plays may not be explosive, they are touchdowns none the less. I tend to think this trend will continue against the squids... just my .02

We are still 25th in points scored. I understand that we are efficient in the red zone, we still do not score a lot of TD’s and we still don’t score a lot of points. This “trend” continuing would constitute us remaining efficient in the red zone but only getting there 2-3 times and not really scoring points otherwise.

Edited by BringBackOrton
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

We are 25th in points scored in the NFL. Who cares if our RZ percentage is great if we A. Don’t score when we aren’t within the red zone and B. Don’t get to the red zone a lot.

It’s misleading because to point to our red zone efficiency to say we are good at scoring is inaccurate and wrong. 

We are still 25th in points scored. I understand that we are efficient in the red zone, we still do not score a lot of TD’s and we still don’t score a lot of points. This “trend” continuing would constitute us remaining efficient in the red zone but only getting there 2-3 times and not really scoring points otherwise.

We are inefficient because of turnovers. Fix that and we score more.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We are inefficient because of turnovers. Fix that and we score more.

Turnovers are part of the reason, sure. So are taking sacks to put us out of FG position, not converting on third down, etc etc. Obviously if you get better at all that we play better lol.

15 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Again, not misleading. It’s one metric focused on  a specific aspect of offense: scoring TDs when in the red zone. Not understanding what the metric is doesn’t make it misleading. Anyone who points to the metric as meaning anything but what it actually indicates would be wrong, but not mislead into doing so. Scoring TDs gets more difficult as the offense gets closer to the goal line as the defense doesn’t have much ground to cover. Hence the reason for the stat. It is what it is and nothing more. 

15 minutes ago, BringBackOrton said:

Turnovers are part of the reason, sure. So are taking sacks to put us out of FG position, not converting on third down, etc etc. Obviously if you get better at all that we play better lol.

Turnovers and sacks are part of the reason for the low point total. 3rd down conversions are pretty good overall relative to the rest of the league, so you can discount that one. Fix the first two, combine it with your already strong red zone TD % and the problem should be fixed. There’s no lol about it. It’s just using stats to show where the problem lies.  The Bills offense moves the ball well, but suffers from self inflicted wounds that lower scoring. That’s an easier fix than struggling to convert third downs, poor red zone TD % etc. 

• Like (+1) 2