Week 7: Dolphins at Bills (-17)

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The real answer? She's a woman. Nothing more.

Nailed it. So insightful. It's incredibly important that we broadly paint large groups of people we don't know on the internet with accusations of utterly fundamental, evil character faults - it's the only way for meaningful dialogue and growth as a nation 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, arcane said:

Nailed it. So insightful. It's incredibly important that we broadly paint large groups of people we don't know on the internet with accusations of utterly fundamental, evil character faults - it's the only way for meaningful dialogue and growth as a nation 

I would never make the assumption that someone not liking Mowins has to be sexist. With that said, I'd ask that person, "What male play-by-play announcers have voices you simply can't stand?" Given the ratio of men to women PBP announcers is probably over 50-1, you'd think there would be several. 

I can say I have heard many people complain about the way Solomon Wilcots pronounced "Bills".  Seems pretty petty to me, but if it bugs someone it bugs someone. Same thing with Dierdork's lisp. Obviously some disliked him for other reasons, but others were focused on the way he talked. Fair enough. If your are honest about why you don't like someone, that's good enough for me. Though I will say I find those kinds of complaints rather petty. I have to deal with offshore tech support all the time. I try my best to "crack the code" of their accents, as I find some of those techs among the best---IF I can understand them. But if I can't, I ask for someone else and explain I simply can't understand what they are saying. 

So it's perfectly possible for someone to dislike BW because they don't like her voice. I believe it's a rather petty complaint. You'd think one should be able to overlook something that trivial if she is competent at her job, but that's my opinion.

The one thing that still confuses me is, many say she sounds like a man. While some say it's like "nails on a chalkboard". IMO the nails on the chalkboard sound is typically a high-pitched shrill sound. But c'est la vie.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, The Dean said:

I would never make the assumption that someone not liking Mowins has to be sexist. With that said, I'd ask that person, "What male play-by-play announcers have voices you simply can't stand?" Given the ratio of men to women PBP announcers is probably over 50-1, you'd think there would be several. 

I can say I have heard many people complain about the way Solomon Wilcots pronounced "Bills".  Seems pretty petty to me, but if it bugs someone it bugs someone. Same thing with Dierdork's lisp. Obviously some disliked him for other reasons, but others were focused on the way he talked. Fair enough. If your are honest about why you don't like someone, that's good enough for me. Though I will say I find those kinds of complaints rather petty. I have to deal with offshore tech support all the time. I try my best to "crack the code" of their accents, as I find some of those techs among the best---IF I can understand them. But if I can't, I ask for someone else and explain I simply can't understand what they are saying. 

So it's perfectly possible for someone to dislike BW because they don't like her voice. I believe it's a rather petty complaint. You'd think one should be able to overlook something that trivial if she is competent at her job, but that's my opinion.

The one thing that still confuses me is, many say she sounds like a man. While some say it's like "nails on a chalkboard". IMO the nails on the chalkboard sound is typically a high-pitched shrill sound. But c'est la vie.

Every single week a not-insignificant portion of posts here goes directly to how (sometimes good, much more often awful) any crew in the Bills game is. This board is why I know the names and voices of literally any announcing crew, and can rank all by preference. But when people get upset about the things that are said, it's 100% of the time because they're said about Beth, which is eye-roll-inducing because there are insults hurled all over the place at announcers here any given week.

4 hours ago, eball said:

Allen has about one play per game (or three vs. the Pats***) where he gets "lost in the moment" and tries to run around and play hero ball.  It's the primary reason why several of these wins have been closer than they should have been.  I think he needs to take that number down to one play out of every four games.

Favre had 2-3 of those a game. Difference is that Favre managed to make 4 out of 5 positive plays. Then there were all the throws that would’ve been picks with a weaker arm. Like Favre the hero ball will never go away with Allen. We’re probably going to experience 2-3 years of WTF mixed with “how’d he do that” before Allen wins more often than not on those. IMO, that’s what’s going to define his ceiling. We’ve also been spoiled by Mahomes. 

58 minutes ago, arcane said:

Every single week a not-insignificant portion of posts here goes directly to how (sometimes good, much more often awful) any crew in the Bills game is. This board is why I know the names and voices of literally any announcing crew, and can rank all by preference. But when people get upset about the things that are said, it's 100% of the time because they're said about Beth, which is eye-roll-inducing because there are insults hurled all over the place at announcers here any given week.

I know there are a lot of complaints about announcers. Typically though, because of their competence/perceived bias, not because of the sound of their voice. But whatever. If you can't stand her voice, you can't stand her voice. Fair enough.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, arcane said:

As opposed to what? Here's one quote I heard. "Can't I have one place to get away from women?" Is that what sports are? A boys-only treehouse?

I agree, it's startling to hear a women's voice calling a game. But they have every right to the press box as any media member. Remember the backlash to female reporters in locker rooms? Remember the rationalizations used against them? 

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/13/2019 at 8:12 PM, YoloinOhio said:

Am I the only person worried about this game? I have flashbacks to other times a Buffalo team looked so good, and came crashing down to a lesser team. Maybe most of you aren't old enough to remember 1975. The Bills were 4-0, and lost to the 1-3 Giants at Rich Stadium on a Monday night. I have flash-forwards to the local talk shows next week: "We should have known Rosen would have his best game ever against us." "The refs completely screwed us." "We should have known our defense couldn't keep up that pace for a whole season." "How can you expect to beat anyone when you throw four interceptions?" "Do you still think we'll make the playoffs?"

Sorry, this is from someone who became a Bills fan in 1963. I've seen too much to take any game for granted.

1 minute ago, John Gianelli said:

Am I the only person worried about this game? I have flashbacks to other times a Buffalo team looked so good, and came crashing down to a lesser team. Maybe most of you aren't old enough to remember 1975. The Bills were 4-0, and lost to the 1-3 Giants at Rich Stadium on a Monday night. I have flash-forwards to the local talk shows next week: "We should have known Rosen would have his best game ever against us." "The refs completely screwed us." "We should have known our defense couldn't keep up that pace for a whole season." "How can you expect to beat anyone when you throw four interceptions?" "Do you still think we'll make the playoffs?"

Sorry, this is from someone who became a Bills fan in 1963. I've seen too much to take any game for granted.

I take NOTHING for granted. I’m on your side here, give this game 100% attention and effort, and hope to get out with a W. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, John Gianelli said:

I don’t remember 1975 because I was a newborn and I don’t think anything is relevant about Bills history to the present and future prior to say, 2017. Maybe even 2018. That said, yes I worry about every game!  I’m also a neurotic sports fan.  Miami sucks. I’m worried about the game. Both things can be true. 

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Joe Buck.

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

My answer to that is Joe Buck. His voice is the aural equivalent of watching paint dry. 

I like Joe, but Jack Buck was one of my favorites for years. But as he started to get older, he really started to slip. It happens to the best of them, if they stick around a bit too long.

He was calling Monday Night Football with Hank Stram as his analyst. I love me some Hank, but even he was getting a bit long in the tooth. Still had a lot more on the ball than Buck by that time. Here is my (only very slightly exaggerated) recreation of a typical play-call exchange between the two:

Buck: The quarterback drops back and, and it's caught by the.....receiver guy...for a big gain. Hank?

Stram: A nice 3-yard completion for (x QB) to (X WR).