The AFC is a dumpster fire this season

8 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

Once the Chargers lose tonight, there will be 9 AFC teams with at least 4 losses after only 6 weeks.

That leaves 7: Pats, Bills, Ravens, Texans, Colts, Raiders, Chiefs. Who's the odd one out for the playoffs? Most of you are probably thinking the Raiders (and the pessimists here will suggest the Bills). But check out the Chiefs' schedule, in combination with their injury list and terrible defense. Could they be the odd ones out?

I think something else will happen...

the best divisions top top to bottom are the NFC north and nfc west. West has played much of the afc north over the season. The browns went 0-3 but the also handles the Ravens.

i see Clevrland sinning the division. Clevrland has 5 games in division, Miami, and Denver and Arizona. Thry ein those they have 10 wins.

KC is still good. They played 2 strong teams who figure to battle for the south title.

south to Houston or Indy.

wild card 1 to bills/pats loser

Wild card 2 to a group of Baltimore, Oakland, indy/Houston loser.  There is a chance one of the 2-4 teams gets hot and into it.

in the nfc...

top 2 in the north and west get in. East and south are just division winners.

i don’t think there is that much difference between conferences.  The number of teams eith2-4 loses is about the same.

31 minutes ago, dous21 said:

The Bills aren't even top 3 in the AFC

Pats, Chiefs and Texans all better. Watson is playing at a MVP level right now. we have struggled to beat 4 of the worst teams in the NFL. 

I disagree! Your D makes you top 3.  Mahomes has kept the Chiefs afloat but they would lose to the Bills IMO.  Texans are painfully inconsistent. 

I actually think there are a lot of teams chasing those 2 Wildcard spots in the AFC.....and I think it's going to be a tight race over the last few weeks of the season.

For arguments sake lets give the division winners to the following teams:

East - Pats

West - Chiefs

North - Ravens

South - Texans (although I think the Colts will be right there)

That leaves the:

Bills (4-1)

Colts (3-2)

Raiders (3-2)

Browns (2-4)

Jaguars (2-4)

Steelers (2-4)

all vying for 2 spots.  No doubt the Bills are in a great spot, but the 2 teams that scare me are the Colts & Browns.  I was very happy to see the Browns lose today & they face the Patriots next, but after that their schedule gets very easy.  The Steelers defeating the Chargers tonight was also a big help, the way I see it.  Just wish the Chiefs weren't so generous to those AFC South teams the last 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

Do people actually think the Browns will run the table after losing to the Pats and starting 2-5? Coaching matters. Offensive lines matter. The Browns have neither. And if you think the Browns will finish 6-0 in their division, then you haven't been paying attention to the nature of division rivalries, especially in the AFC North. I'll put them at 7-9, losing to the Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, and....BILLS.

It really is, and it all seems to be breaking perfectly for the Bills right now. Denver shutting out the Titans for example, the AFC is going to be a mess at the end of the year. I bet 9 wins and a decent conference record does it. Hell right now after today's games the Bills still have the third best conference record after the Pats and Texans. It's "still early" but this team is in a great place.

3 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

No it is impossible to finish with a better record than the division winner because if you have the better record you ARE the division winner. 

A better record than another division winner... Not the same division.  Example wild card teams had better records than Seattle in 2010 when they won the division at 7-9 and the same with Carolina in 2014 at 7-8-1

Edited by Jeebus
  • Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, KayAdams said:

Do people actually think the Browns will run the table after losing to the Pats and starting 2-5? Coaching matters. Offensive lines matter. The Browns have neither. And if you think the Browns will finish 6-0 in their division, then you haven't been paying attention to the nature of division rivalries, especially in the AFC North. I'll put them at 7-9, losing to the Patriots, Ravens, Steelers, Bengals, and....BILLS.

The Browns are a mess of egos and a head coach that can't keep them in check. Baker doesn't have a great OL and he's having a hard time in the pocket. They will be a competitive team but at this point they don't look like they are going to win that division. The Ravens and Steelers are better coached. I'm impressed with how the Steelers have responded to adversity these past couple weeks. Their D is starting to come together. The Ravens are stylistically an anomaly and their defense has not been elite as I think some were expecting, but they are likely the division winner at this point. 

6 hours ago, mannc said:

I think the Chiefs are in trouble.  They have a hard game at Denver Thursday night, and if they lose that one, they could spiral.  Their schedule then gets even tougher. 

If they lose at Denver I will start to think they are in real trouble. 

3 hours ago, Figster said:

If the playoffs started today Bills and Raiders would be two AFC wild card teams.

Bills vs Ravens road game... 

Knock on wood if you're with me! 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

No it is impossible to finish with a better record than the division winner because if you have the better record you ARE the division winner. 

His point was that you can very easily finish 2nd in your division and face a division winner FROM ANOTHER DIVISION in the wild card round that had a worse record than you.  That's most definitely possible.

10 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

But we're not ready and it's only McDermott's third season and the team is still young and building and what not...

Trust the Process, but the OP makes a point.   Go win some games, things might fall into place this year.   Way too early to tell.   Keep the popcorn popping.   Go bills.

Will be in town this weekend to visit two ailing moms (mine and my wifes) .   What is the best WNY bar to watch the game now , get some wings, you know, the usual?