The Rise of #70

akcash

I rewatched the Tennessee game on Saturday focusing entirely on Ford and Ed Oliver (when he was on the field).  Honestly, Ford was fine at RT.  He's clearly a better run-blocker than pass-blocker, and he did give up a sack on a play where he was beaten immediately off the snap, but he wasn't the liability in pass protection that he was in some earlier games.  

I'm not sold by any stretch of the imagination and I suspect his long-term future might be at guard, but there's reason for optimism.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, The Wiz said:

giphy.gif

Did he edit the title or something?

'cuz it makes perfect sense to me.  https://www.buffalobills.com/team/players-roster/ is at your service.

To the OP topic, it's really not uncommon for OLmen to take a full off season of strength training to come up to speed in the NFL.  If he gets with a good off season program and puts in the work, I think he'll be fine.  I think technique fails when strength fails, on the OL.  I could be wrong though.

13 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Seriously, mods...how are people with less than 250 posts starting threads?  If you're going to go back on your promise to limit their thread-starting abilities, I'm going back on my promise to not call them idiots.

It's not just # of posts, it's how long ago someone joined too.  In this case, the OP joined in 2009 and you know, it is on topic for discussing football so Hold Fire.

The duration thing is 'cuz we didn't want to exclude guys like @The Virginian (sorry for picking on ya, but you were literally my example when this was discussed) who seldom post but usually have interesting stuff to say when they do.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

If my math is correct, if all of our OL gave up a sack per game, 17 would be sacked 80 times this year. 

Not it sure that's OK

For Josh (Rosen) that sounds like an improvement! He had 4 in just the first quarter yesterday. 

13 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Seriously, mods...how are people with less than 250 posts starting threads?  If you're going to go back on your promise to limit their thread-starting abilities, I'm going back on my promise to not call them idiots.

So freaking true. Or don’t complain about a cluttered board, etc. 

Can’t wait to see what idiot deranged Eagles fans pop in next week to start topics. 

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

Are you serious? If you are so offended by people with 250 posts or less making a thread, you could stop reading them and at least stop wasting other peoples' time whining about it.

That said, I have no idea how good Ford will be in a couple years. Some guys just pick the game up faster than others. When he was moved to RG, he actually played very well there. I wouldn't mind if we drafted a new starting LT, moved Dawkins to RT and moved Ford to RG permanently (unless there is an emergency). Still, I think a longer audition at RT is wise.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Did he edit the title or something?

'cuz it makes perfect sense to me.  https://www.buffalobills.com/team/players-roster/ is at your service.

To the OP topic, it's really not uncommon for OLmen to take a full off season of strength training to come up to speed in the NFL.  If he gets with a good off season program and puts in the work, I think he'll be fine.  I think technique fails when strength fails, on the OL.  I could be wrong though.

It's not just # of posts, it's how long ago someone joined too.  In this case, the OP joined in 2009 and you know, it is on topic for discussing football so Hold Fire.

The duration thing is 'cuz we didn't want to exclude guys like @The Virginian (sorry for picking on ya, but you were literally my example when this was discussed) who seldom post but usually have interesting stuff to say when they do.

So you mean someone could have signed up in 2000, only posts 10 times a year since, and I have to wait until 2025 to call them an idiot?

Damn...I really got hosed on this agreement.  Who's the idiot now?  

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

So with post 251, someone becomes less of an idiot?  

I’m inclined to think idiocy is something one is stuck with, like being red-headed, left-handed, or being named Tom. ?

I disagree,

Any idiot can hire a laywer and get his name changed from Tom.  In the future I will think of all Toms as cheaters.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, blacklabel said:

I'm not sure why, but it still kinda baffles me that some people expect these rookies to come out of the gate as if they're All-Pro already. 

The college game isn't doing much to prepare OL for the pros right now. Guys barely line up with their hand in the dirt and there isn't a whole lot of scheming. Takes time to get used to the speed of the NFL game and it takes time to develop skills these guys didn't really work on in college. I think Ford will be alright. At worst he's a capable RT, at best he could be a Pro Bowl guard. He's five games into his NFL career, let's pump the brakes a little bit before we go calling him a bust or saying he was drafted too high.

I recall the same sort of thing being written many times here about Zay Jones.

15 hours ago, DC Tom said:

You Promised??

I follow the team pretty closely, but even I mix up the offensive linemen numbers from time to time. So much better to just use names. This isn't twitter. We don't have character limits (or if we do they are practically nonexistent).

And as for the topic, how would any of us know how Ford is going to perform going forward? Hasn't been great so far and for all we know he'll continue to be bad all year. Maybe forever. Or maybe he'll do awesome. Guess we'll find out.

I read the title and figured there was some kind of trend sweeping the league in which players wearing #70 were popping up as superstars left and right. Nevermind.

16 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I recall the same sort of thing being written many times here about Zay Jones.

Yeah. Very few rookies that don't flash end up cutting it long term. They're generally going to have their struggles adjusting to the league, but you'll see that flash from the one's who'll stick. Jury is out on Ford, but it's very early in the season.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

I follow the team pretty closely, but even I mix up the offensive linemen numbers from time to time. So much better to just use names. This isn't twitter. We don't have character limits (or if we do they are practically nonexistent).

It seemed to me this trend (that seems to be mostly past now) was a thing on twitter with hockey people.  I thought OK, I guess you have to save characters, but for me, somebody who follows hockey but doesn't watch much, I would get annoyed.

But, then I asked my friend, who is a big hockey guy, a month ago how he thinks the Sabres will do - and he thought not good.  I said Why not - and he says I don't trust 15, and really not even 9..............It took me a few seconds to process who he's talking about.