The level of quarterbacking in the league...

Hebert19

Either defenses are way ahead when it comes to scheming against the offenses in the league or there is a real pathetic level of quarterbacking happening.  

Watching these games today and there isn't an offense that looks good.  Maybe minny. 

I'm pretty happy to have josh tbh. 

4 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Either defenses are way ahead when it comes to scheming against the offenses in the league or there is a real pathetic level of quarterbacking happening.  

Watching these games today and there isn't an offense that looks good.  Maybe minny. 

Alot of it is right now is o-line play and personnel across the league..were seeing teams like the browns with great offensive talent on paper falling apart due to not being able to protect their signal callers  ..The Texans offence has completely turned around since the trade for tunsil..

• Like (+1) 1

The NFL is a copy cat league and right now most teams are trying to throw the ball a lot.  Something will change to throw defenses off.  I don't know if it's straight run game increasing.  

Kind of like when all the rage was to have tall receivers - so tall corners started being brought in.  Then smaller receivers so that the taller receivers weren't quick enough.  I think a road grading offensive line and a big RB would be something I'd like to see.  

5 minutes ago, bills11 said:

Alot of it is right now is o-line play and personnel across the league..were seeing teams like the browns with great offensive talent on paper falling apart due to not being able to protect their signal callers  ..The Texans offence has completely turned around since the trade for tunsil..

I agree with this, except the hags got little to no pressure on Mayfield today. I watched the whole game, they might have gotten one sack? I dont remember any knockdowns except when he got hurt 10  yards past the line of scrimmage running the ball.

3 minutes ago, bills11 said:

I lean more towards offensive line being the problem.  The college game today is so different from the pro game, even the modern pass-happy pro game.  

With all the spread offenses and quick release passing attacks, linemen in many college offenses don't really have to "block" with technique... they just have to "get in the way" for a little bit.  Likewise, run blocking is almost becoming a lost art despite being the traditionally easier of the two forms of blocking, simply because college teams aren't always balanced.  

And I think you're seeing that trickle down into the NFL.  Even in a pass happy NFL, you still need to be able to run the football or these defenses will figure you out within a few plays. 

I think it's also why many of the last few drafts have been "stacked" with deep talent on the front seven.  Bad offensive line play might be as responsible for that as the good front seven play is.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Capco said:

I lean more towards offensive line being the problem.  The college game today is so different from the pro game, even the modern pass-happy pro game.  

With all the spread offenses and quick release passing attacks, linemen in many college offenses don't really have to "block" with technique... they just have to "get in the way" for a little bit.  Likewise, run blocking is almost becoming a lost art despite being the traditionally easier of the two forms of blocking, simply because college teams aren't always balanced.  

And I think you're seeing that trickle down into the NFL.  Even in a pass happy NFL, you still need to be able to run the football or these defenses will figure you out within a few plays. 

I think it's also why many of the last few drafts have been "stacked" with deep talent on the front seven.  Bad offensive line play might be as responsible for that as the good front seven play is.  

Correct which is an overwhelming reason behind the 49ers success this year they are gashing teams with that inside zone run scheme that the shanahans have run for years learned from Alex gibbs..this year the teams who are successful are employing a more balanced attacks with the run being a big proponent ..pats bills 49ers..Vikings Packers...theres just not many teams who have the personnel to hold up in a super pass heavy offence week after week..mahomes has been getting hit constantly now because the chiefs have not established any semblance of a run game and if Reid doesn't adjust his ankle will be joined by many other injuries 

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree, it's the O-line play that has regressed terribly.  College linemen are rarely in three point stances anymore. They are running mostly zone read option plays or pass blocking.  And defenses in college and NFL are catching up.  They are playing better in space and making better tackles in one on one situations.  

Lastly, at any given time, there really is only about 14 maybe 20 at most guys on the planet that can play NFL QB at an average to high level.  It's always been that way. The game is too fast and too hard and only the truly elite can play the position.  

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Houston looked pretty damn good but KC has no D.

33 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

So you haven’t watched Watson or Wilson play at all yet, is what you’re saying.

33 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

I mean last year weren't a bunch of people talking about how it's an offensive league and a bunch of QBs put up a bunch of gaudy numbers. I'd say it's probably just a natural ebb and flow one gets ahead of the other then the other catches back up.

I think a lot can be attributed to a lot of young college system quarterbacks coming into the NFL and all of a sudden getting multiple disguises, blitzes, and speed of the game that they haven't seen before. The windows are also much smaller in the NFL and it took awhile but defenses have adjusted to having hybrid LB/Safety types that can play both the run and the pass.

I also believe that these young Quarterbacks are naturally inpatient(See Josh Allen) and are unwilling to constantly take the short pass that is open while they try to push the ball into coverage down the field and defensive coordinators play more 8 man coverage.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

I'd say it's probably just a natural ebb and flow one gets ahead of the other then the other catches back up.

This is also true.  NFL defensive coordinators are masters at figuring out opposing offenses.  

What keeps offenses scoring is the fact that they are continuously evolving.  Without any offensive evolution, most NFL offenses would be figured out within a season or two.  That's usually how long it takes for defenses to adjust to new innovations (e.g. the Wildcat).  

• Like (+1) 1

College mostly doesn’t prep QBs for the pros, most top schools are running an option so the kids don’t learn to drop back and take the heat and throw

It’s disappointing when they are up 75-0 and still run an option, never let the QB learn how to play QB like a pro

39 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Could also be players are getting bigger and faster, but CBA is limiting practice more and more.  When that happens skill takes over more than execution  and the person who suffers the most from lack of execution is the QB.  That could be what you're seeing the effect of.

Plus, o-line positions are some of the more cooperative in the league, so if you have fewer opportunities to practice as a unit, the unit as a whole suffers despite whatever individual skill might be up-front.

PLUS...there's a perception that every QB has to play like a Rivers, Ruthlessbooger, or Mahomes, or cheat like a Brady, and most aren't that good or dishonest.  At some point, some coach somewhere is going to say "Hey, we need to adjust our offensive schemes to the fact that we don't have Mahomes under center," and change the game again.  But until then, coaches are going to keep trying to fit their square pegs in to round holes.

2 hours ago, White Linen said:

The NFL is a copy cat league and right now most teams are trying to throw the ball a lot.  Something will change to throw defenses off.  I don't know if it's straight run game increasing.  

Kind of like when all the rage was to have tall receivers - so tall corners started being brought in.  Then smaller receivers so that the taller receivers weren't quick enough.  I think a road grading offensive line and a big RB would be something I'd like to see.  

Watch the Patriots pound the ball on teams that have gone to more nickel and have lighter, faster LB’s who are built to cover rather than stuff the run. 

It's a "Front Office/Coaching Staff" League. 

You have to have the QB yes.  But you need smart talent evaluators that know how to build a team and manage the cap....and the coaches to motivate and scheme and game plan.  

There is a cap to manage.  Tough decisions to make.  You need to prioritize that your franchise QB isn't getting killed every play and your defense doesn't have difficulty stopping a nose bleed.  

Both of those things stop and start in the TRENCHES.  The game may change but that concept is timeless.  

Edited by Big Blitz

19 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Oline yes.  Defensive scheming better but wow.  The quarterbacks are not good. 

What does this even mean? ALL of them? Which ones aren’t “good?”

Don’t be daft man and just throw out generalizations without any facts.