Andy Reid now choking in regular season

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

I see Some one has been reading a john madden biography 

haha...you know what I mean...when you force the offense to score 30 points practically every game to win because your defense can't stop anyone and are going to allow a ton of yards and points every game, that puts a lot of stress on the offense to be firing on all cylinders every game...during the season it can work because you will likely be playing weaker opponents many times that will not be able to keep up, but when you start playing teams in the playoffs with defenses that can prevent you from scoring that many points and your defense isn't able to stop the other team, you will have problems...

Chiefs played their hearts out in the regular season last year  and are still shook from the Pats stealing that game

They have learned, it’s not worth it to struggle if a playoff spot is yours for just showing up

1 hour ago, eball said:

I am NOT throwing shade on Mahomes so please don't interpret this post in that way.  Yesterday was the first full game I watched of his in a while, and while he is clearly talented he was lucky on the first TD to Hill.  The Texans' DB was in perfect position to intercept or bat it down.  Now if you give Mahomes credit for taking a shot knowing he had a "free play" I agree, but it was still lucky (as opposed to being a brilliant throw).  Also, I see him throwing off balance, sidearm, or off the wrong foot way too often.  I expected to see a QB throwing darts right on his receivers' hands but that's not what happened.  His mechanics are not sound.  Mahomes has the benefit of really outstanding skill and speed at the WR and TE positions, and I can't help but wonder what other QBs' performances would look like in those situations.

Would they look like 64 passing TDs and 7200 yards in 22 games?  No need to wonder--answer is "probably not" (or maybe they would become as "lucky" too?).

And that's with "throwing off balance, sidearm, or off the wrong foot".  You should watch him more often (that's how he plays).  It will temper your urge to post such as you just did.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

haha...you know what I mean...when you force the offense to score 30 points practically every game to win because your defense can't stop anyone and are going to allow a ton of yards and points every game, that puts a lot of stress on the offense to be firing on all cylinders every game...during the season it can work because you will likely be playing weaker opponents many times that will not be able to keep up, but when you start playing teams in the playoffs with defenses that can prevent you from scoring that many points and your defense isn't able to stop the other team, you will have problems...

Yeah they’re trying to play basketball not football 

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Would they look like 64 passing TDs and 7200 yards in 22 games?  No need to wonder--answer is "probably not" (or maybe they would become as "lucky" too?).

And that's with "throwing off balance, sidearm, or off the wrong foot".  You should watch him more often (that's how he plays).  It will temper your urge to post such as you just did.

Has the bad ankle affected him that much over the past couple of games?  Anyway, I said I wasn't throwing shade and I know what his numbers are...I'm still curious.

1 minute ago, eball said:

Has the bad ankle affected him that much over the past couple of games?  Anyway, I said I wasn't throwing shade and I know what his numbers are...I'm still curious.

You were describing his style of play as if it just dawned on you.  Sure his ankle is sore, but the rest is his game.  Watch him all season. 

And course you were throwing shade:

-his TD was "lucky"

-he doesn't throw "darts"

-his "mechanics are not sound"

-he is essentially the beneficiary of the great talent around him (sorry Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, John Elway, Joe Montana...)

-"other QBs" could do as well on that team as he has.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You were describing his style of play as if it just dawned on you.  Sure his ankle is sore, but the rest is his game.  Watch him all season. 

And course you were throwing shade:

-his TD was "lucky"

-he doesn't throw "darts"

-his "mechanics are not sound"

-he is essentially the beneficiary of the great talent around him (sorry Jim Kelly, Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, John Elway, Joe Montana...)

-"other QBs" could do as well on that team as he has.

Part of asking a question includes challenging certain assumptions.  Not sure why you're taking a stand on this one...

52 minutes ago, T master said:

I couldn't understand why they let all of their stud defensive guys go last off season & now it's coming back to haunt them literally ! Justin Houston in the Colts game gave them fits & he was one of the afore mentioned studs released !

Tamba Ali was another i couldn't understand why they let walk I know age had something to do with it but the dude was still producing & their D is less for letting him go too !! 

The Chiefs are the Bills alter ego they have a offense that can score with the best of them but their D is like non existent & their opponents can score at will to where our Bills D is awesome & the offense has a hard time scoring points .

I hope after the bye the Bills come back & Josh gets into a groove with the addition of Duke & they run the table so this post will be just me blow smoke !! 

Because they choose to invest in offense and out score their opponents.  This strategy may or may not work out.

18 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Reid calls 35 passes to only 10 rushes on a day where McCoy has two big runs and 5.5 YPC.  It was a one score game all day with a QB that has a bum ankle. 

This after he calls 39 passes to 10 runs in a one score loss to Colts.

Both games at home. 

KC GM needs to intervene and tell Andy he can't call plays anymore and he just needs to be HC.

You're implicitly assuming that Eric Bieniemy would call a better game for Mahomes and the KC offense than Reid does.  I'm not sure about the basis for that.  Explain?

The main problem I see with KC is their defense.  #21 on points, #29 on yards.  #31 run defense - "Can't Stop a Nosebleed"  They got rid of Bob Sutton after last season with the notion that he was their problem and Steve Spagnuolo would be better.  Well, I guess #21 is better than #24, but not enough better.

It's not as though Reid can't or won't call a run-heavy offense.  He did it for years with Smith as his QB, then evolved to a more balanced attack as smith matured. If Reid thought they had the hosses to do it, he'd gladly run down people's throat.  But he doesn't, he has a Golden Arm in Mahomes, and he needs Mahomes to sling it in order to stay ahead of the scores given up by their poor defense. 

I think the reason McCoy had success when he ran was because it was so unexpected ?, not because he could keep it up all game.

It was pointed out in another thread that expectations for Mahomes have become unreal.  He can pass for 273 yds (256 net) and 3 TD and it's a poor QB performance because of the 2 turnovers (1 INT, 1 fumble) and the 17 yd sack.   But that is what happens when a young guy is annointed the Golden Arm and the Man in the NFL for the next decade or two.

Me, I think Mahomes is feeling the pressure of being The Man, knowing their D won't get the stop, they don't have much run game, and he has to sling it to score.  He has the arm talent to throw from any angle and any position and the luxury of a top WR and TE talent to haul those in - but he's starting to rely on making those off-balance throws into double coverage just a bit too much IMHO.

Time will tell.

18 hours ago, matter2003 said:

KC is beatable because their defense is trash. If they aren't outscoring you they are going to lose. Which is why they likely will never get to the Superbowl.

Isn't this true in literally every sport ever in the history of mankind?

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

His defense in KC just sucks.  They have a few good players but their linebackers aren’t and have abused constantly over the past 2 weeks. 
If the KC crosses paths with NE, I will bet the house that Belichick will outcoach Reid on the way to victory.  Lock it in

Belicheck won't need to dig very deep in his playbook to perform that outcoaching.  All he'll need to do is pound the rock and keep pounding it, with enough passes to bite KC if they sell out to stop the run.  Hire a dog to bite McDaniels if he tries to dial up a pass on first down.

KC has the #30 run D in the league right now and from what I saw yesterday, it looks like they fully deserve it.   NE has a top D, but they need not be tested too badly; Mahomes can't score if you keep the ball out of his hands by grinding out yards (and eating up clock).

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Belicheck won't need to dig very deep in his playbook to perform that outcoaching.  All he'll need to do is pound the rock and keep pounding it, with enough passes to bite KC if they sell out to stop the run.  Hire a dog to bite McDaniels if he tries to dial up a pass on first down.

KC has the #30 run D in the league right now and from what I saw yesterday, it looks like they fully deserve it.   NE has a top D, but they need not be tested too badly; Mahomes can't score if you keep the ball out of his hands by grinding out yards (and eating up clock).

This seems to blueprint to beat KC.  The architect is Frank Reich!

45 minutes ago, eball said:

Part of asking a question includes challenging certain assumptions.  Not sure why you're taking a stand on this one...

You popped in to watch a Chiefs game and noticed that Mahomes has a different style of passing and conclude he's a lucky guy with bad mechanics.

You are challenging the assumption that this style has been wildly successful for Mahomes to this point.  That's an impossible stand to take with credibility.

18 hours ago, FUTURIST said:

Their offense has been exposed too.  Mahomes is very average when he doesn't have that offensive line healthy and defensive coordinators have figured him out. He is another Phillip Rivers.

For values of average that throw 3 TD in a bad game and lead the league in passing yards, top 5 on points, Sure.  But that's a mighty strange meaning of "exposed" and "average" you got there.

I do think Mahomes is relying too much on his ability to make the off-balance throw and it will start to bite him.  But that's just a start and that's just my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

You popped in to watch a Chiefs game and noticed that Mahomes has a different style of passing and conclude he's a lucky guy with bad mechanics.

You are challenging the assumption that this style has been wildly successful for Mahomes to this point.  That's an impossible stand to take with credibility.

FWIW, one of the talking heads (I don't watch them enough to learn names) was asking the same question about Mahomes at halftime - whether he is relying a bit too much on those off balance throws he can undeniably make.  It has been wildly successful for him last season and the start of this season, but his last 3 games have seen dips in completion percentage. 

It may be the league is adjusting, it may be his WR talent has dipped, it may be his bad ankle has those off-balance throws be a bit too off.

Or it may be just a fluke and he'll return to form.

• Like (+1) 1