Andy Reid now choking in regular season

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, one of the talking heads (I don't watch them enough to learn names) was asking the same question about Mahomes at halftime - whether he is relying a bit too much on those off balance throws he can undeniably make.  It has been wildly successful for him last season and the start of this season, but his last 3 games have seen dips in completion percentage. 

It may be the league is adjusting, it may be his WR talent has dipped, it may be his bad ankle has those off-balance throws be a bit too off.

Or it may be just a fluke and he'll return to form.

He threw for 273 yards, 3 TDs and a 96.5 rating. And he's hurt.  It is his baseline style of play that allows him to still put up these numbers while hurt.

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Me, I think Mahomes is feeling the pressure of being The Man, knowing their D won't get the stop, they don't have much run game, and he has to sling it to score.  He has the arm talent to throw from any angle and any position and the luxury of a top WR and TE talent to haul those in - but he's starting to rely on making those off-balance throws into double coverage just a bit too much IMHO.

I have a slightly different take from you but also agree with your premise.  I think it is because he has "gotten away" with the off balance, crazy throws so much he hasn't learned not to do them all the time.  He hasn't paid the price for throwing off of his back foot like Josh did against New England.

I think the defense is getting too much heat.  The Colts only "hung" 19 on the Chiefs.  The Mahomes led Chiefs had scored more than 25 every game he played.  Defense did what it had to do to get the win.  Yes they have a hard time getting off the field and yes they get gashed in the run game but a byproduct of having one side of the ball be dominant is being weaker on the other side.  How many times are the Patriots terrible with ypg ranking but great with ppg rankings.  The Chiefs are 19th in the league and giving up 24 ppg which is right under that magic 25 point mark the offense is expected to score.  The defense isn't great but this team isn't built to win with defense.  Bringing it back to the Bills, if the defense here gives up more than 17 I would imagine they would feel like that was a bad game because they are built stronger on that side of the ball. 

This issue isn't going to get better when Mahomes signs his monster deal and they have even less money to pay surrounding talent.

18 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This seems to blueprint to beat KC.  The architect is Frank Reich!

If you told me that Houston had 3 turnovers and  Watson threw 2 INT and asked "what was the outcome of the game?" I would say "I bet Houston lost"

If you told me that Houston controled TOP almost 2:1 39:48 to 20:12, I would say "I bet Houston won".

192 yards on the ground and 3 rushing TD ices it for Houston.

6 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

He threw for 273 yards, 3 TDs and a 96.5 rating. And he's hurt.  It is his baseline style of play that allows him to still put up these numbers while hurt.

He also had an INT and a fumble, both of which led directly to Houston points.

Putting up gaudy passing numbers isn't everything.  Ask Matt Stafford.

But, as I said, time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If you told me that Houston had 3 turnovers and  Watson threw 2 INT and asked "what was the outcome of the game?" I would say "I bet Houston lost"

If you told me that Houston controled TOP almost 2:1 39:48 to 20:12, I would say "I bet Houston won".

192 yards on the ground and 3 rushing TD ices it for Houston.

He also had an INT and a fumble, both of which led directly to Houston points.

Putting up gaudy passing numbers isn't everything.  Ask Matt Stafford.

But, as I said, time will tell.

People's expectations are that he can't make mistakes--that's how good he's been. 

That int was his 1st---6 games into the season!  His INT % is an insane 0.4%.  Gaudy numbers?  How about 17-6 since his first start?

If KC had any kind of Defense this conversation wouldn't exist.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

FWIW, one of the talking heads (I don't watch them enough to learn names) was asking the same question about Mahomes at halftime - whether he is relying a bit too much on those off balance throws he can undeniably make.  It has been wildly successful for him last season and the start of this season, but his last 3 games have seen dips in completion percentage. 

It may be the league is adjusting, it may be his WR talent has dipped, it may be his bad ankle has those off-balance throws be a bit too off.

Or it may be just a fluke and he'll return to form.

Good post Hap.

He is looking like a great QB but teams are also getting a good look at him too.

The chess match is on and like you said "time will tell".

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

People's expectations are that he can't make mistakes--that's how good he's been. 

That int was his 1st---6 games into the season!  His INT % is an insane 0.4%.  Gaudy numbers?  How about 17-6 since his first start?

If KC had any kind of Defense this conversation wouldn't exist.

Going back into his rookie season but leaving out the playoff games?   SMH. 

The old saw from the Steelers superbowl teams applies here: "better take off those rings and put 'em on the shelf, boys, they won't help you this year"

How about we just look at this season, where he's 4-2. 

Yes, he's been good, but you raised the point that he passed for 273 yds and 3 TDs yesterday (scored as 256 yds due to 17 yd sack) as if that was a performance that overshadowed the loss.  That is the point to which I responded "putting up gaudy passing numbers isn't everything".  The point isn't "can't make mistakes" the point is what you do with the ball when you've got it.

The defense that KC doesn't have picked Watson 2x and forced a fumble.  Mahomes and the Chiefs got a FG, fumbled the ball right back, and punted on those 3 COP.  That's not enough.  When your D gives you extra possessions, make it count! 

KC caught a bad break from the officiating, but the point is, the Texans scored on that pick and the KC offense didn't on the picks they were given and only 3 on the fumble.

7 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Funny how some coordinaters can live off their reputations for a while, insetad of results. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/SpagSt0.htm

I mean at his last 5 years in terms of yards

32, 32,10,31, 31...and yet KC thought they were getting a defensive super mind:wallbash:

You been watching the Bills this year?

I have, yes. The Bills are top 10 in rushing attempts, total rushing yards, rushing yards per carry, and rushing TD's. 

But I understand your point. They've been passing more than running this year, and some of those rushes are coming from Allen runs in broken pass plays.

I'm not saying that Daboll's offense is like Greg Roman's. What I am saying is that I believe the Bills would generally prefer running than passing, and we may start to see this as soon as Singletary returns from injury. For these first 5 games, defenses have not respected Allen and have been lining up to neutralize the run. I suspect that's a big part behind why Daboll has called so many pass plays. This will change as Allen improves (we're seeing it!) throughout the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, NewEra said:

I watched the game too.

Their defense sucks.  They couldn’t get off the field and they were missing their best defensive player.  

Like throwing the ball with 20 seconds to go in the first half on there own 10?  Fumbling and giving up 7?

13 minutes ago, Manther said:

Like throwing the ball with 20 seconds to go in the first half on there own 10?  Fumbling and giving up 7?

terrible decision.  I’m not saying Reid was good.  He was bad.  He has the tendency to be bad every once in awhile.  

and the defense still got trampled and couldn’t get off the field

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Going back into his rookie season but leaving out the playoff games?   SMH. 

The old saw from the Steelers superbowl teams applies here: "better take off those rings and put 'em on the shelf, boys, they won't help you this year"

How about we just look at this season, where he's 4-2. 

Yes, he's been good, but you raised the point that he passed for 273 yds and 3 TDs yesterday (scored as 256 yds due to 17 yd sack) as if that was a performance that overshadowed the loss.  That is the point to which I responded "putting up gaudy passing numbers isn't everything".  The point isn't "can't make mistakes" the point is what you do with the ball when you've got it.

The defense that KC doesn't have picked Watson 2x and forced a fumble.  Mahomes and the Chiefs got a FG, fumbled the ball right back, and punted on those 3 COP.  That's not enough.  When your D gives you extra possessions, make it count! 

KC caught a bad break from the officiating, but the point is, the Texans scored on that pick and the KC offense didn't on the picks they were given and only 3 on the fumble.

I didn't go back to his rookie season (1 appearance).  As for the playoffs, I'll throw them in too---last year against NE he had almost 300 yards and 3 TDs as his team put up 31 points.  His D (and moron HC) gave up 37.  I'm not sure how adding his solid play-off stats helps your argument.

Yes, the Chiefs lost yesterday because they didn't score on turnovers---agaisnt a very hot Texans team.  It happens.  But it certainly can't be used as evidence that Mahomes is suddenly less a freakishly good QB than he was a few weeks ago.  Or, as one poster is trying to say, wasn't that great to begin with (with the "poor mechanics" and all...).