Mayfield and Mahomes

vorpma

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think the being run on thing goes further than just time of possession though. Indy just ran it down your throats and I agree that week after week has limited success. But in the Houston game them being able to establish Hyde meant they kept your defense off balance all day. Gave Watson lots of time on the RPO and play action looks AND scored points. So every time Mahomes and co were getting the ball back they HAD to try and match. That in turn allows the opposing defense to ignore the run even more (I do think KC need to try and establish it a little more even given the lack of push up front) and key in on rushing Mahomes. Then the pass protection woes (and I agree with you - the interior of that line is struggling big time) really show up because you have guys teeing off on your Quarterback. I still think Mahomes, even in a bit of a down game, played well enough to win on Sunday. But the other parts of his team are just not functioning. After Mahomes what is the best part of Kansas City right now? It is hard to pinpoint one.

Tyreek Hill.  (FOOTBALL PLAYER)  ...he's a special talent.  Kelce has had some drops (that's actually been an issue his whole career) ....but other than that....not much to point to.  S, Juan Thornhill....rookie 2nd rounder seems to be good and improving each game...but man, there just isn't much to point at on the KC team that's worth a damn.  

43 minutes ago, Zerovoltz said:

Tyreek Hill.  (FOOTBALL PLAYER)  ...he's a special talent.  Kelce has had some drops (that's actually been an issue his whole career) ....but other than that....not much to point to.  S, Juan Thornhill....rookie 2nd rounder seems to be good and improving each game...but man, there just isn't much to point at on the KC team that's worth a damn.  

Yea Hill - but this was his first game back. I don't think Kelce is playing that well at the moment.

On 10/16/2019 at 4:24 AM, Zerovoltz said:

Allow me to explain "how this can be". 

Our (KC) Defense still sucks.  That was overcome last year by the offense.  The offense last year had some things go their way that haven't this year.  

Injuries have hurt the offense.  Some will point to Hill being gone....and Watkins being hurt.....again.....and that does hinder things....but the part no one nationally talks about is the O line issues.  I'd have to search my posts here, I think I've alluded to this before, but KC does NOT have a good Oline.  Mahomes masked problems there last year.  This year, the bad O line become the WORST oline in the NFL when Fisher got injured, so Cam Erving had to start at LT, next to a scrap heap LG, who got injured, so then we had Cam Erving, next to 3rd string scrap heap LG, with Austin Reiter at C....who we also got off the scrap heap last year...he'd been cut by the Redskins and Browns...he SUCKS.  The entire left side of the Oline is bad..and even when all 5 starters are healthy, KC has the worst G-C-G combo in football (we miss Morse)  This has led to pass rushers in Mahomes grill most of the time...and he has had his ankle rolled and/or stepped on THREE GAMES in a row.....when you accumulate is stats in each game PRE and POST ankle roll....it looks like you would expect it to look for a guy with an injured ankle having to face a pass rush in his face and unable to run due to the bad line.

Mahomes is every bit the unicorn he's been....and when healthy, and with his ankle in tact...he still can carry the whole awful team....rolled ankle, no line and injured no.1 and no.2 WR and he can't shoulder it.  

People will point to the Chiefs getting run on as a big problem....and I'm not gonig to tell you it's not a problem....it's a big problem....but KC has still had 9 or more possesions per game...they just haven't scored on nearly as many of thos possessions as they were last year (SEE ABOVE PROBLEMS)  If the KC offense turns a game into a track meet...Mahomes can win most of those and overcome the bad D....if the O can't put up points, then the other team grinds us (KC) into the ground.  

It won't get much better until Fisher comes back from injury at LT and they find someone...anyone that can at least pretend to play LG.  

Of note to Bills fans.....our LB corps has been so incredibly bad that Reggie Ragland is very likely to be inserted as a starter.  He isn't fast and can't cover anyone, but take my word for it...the LB we do have can't tackle, don't attack gaps, and just stand around as they get engulfed by lineman.  Ragland, AT LEAST will identify a gap and attack....so, there is that.

Ragland may have just saved his Career and saved KC's D....and possibly the season itself, since Mahomes is injured (still waiting to hear what the extent of the injury is)

On 10/14/2019 at 5:41 AM, vorpma said:

Since last year I have heard that Mayfield and Mahomes were the new Joe Montana and John Elway and Josh Allen a turnover machine! Looks like Josh is leading in the most important statistic - won loss record!! I also read constantly about the new NFL - pass crazy, showtime, arena football, scoreboards like a pinball machine.  Looks like the mighty KC offense and Andy Reid can get beat by ground and pound offense and great defense - how can this be?

I'm sure this has already been mentioned, and for good reason, but again ... win-loss is simply not a QB stat. It's a team stat.

The official name of the stat you're referring to is "TEAM record in games started by this QB (regular season)," my capitalization. Team record. I mean, why would you judge Josh Allen by how well Steven Hauschka plays? It doesn't make sense, and that's what you're doing, times 52, when you judge a QB by the team's win-loss record.

You judge a QB by how well he plays QB. It shouldn't be that hard to remember this.